|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Congress order in this chapter?
2. Who does Ender want to be taken to in this chapter?
3. Who does Jane say is the father of Novinha's children?
4. What does Jane arrange for the Starways Congress to find out?
5. Why is it strange that Olhada cries?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ender not use Dom Cristao's rightful title?
2. What does Ender see in the tree in Chapter 17?
3. Why does Ouanda not want Ender to come to the forest to meet the piggies?
4. What is Ela's theory on the plant life in Lusitania?
5. Why do the piggies want to learn about metal?
6. What does Ender realize about Novinha's files in this chapter?
7. Describe the argument at dinner that takes place in Chapter 14?
8. Of what does the doctor say Marcao died?
9. Describe the meeting between Dom Cristao and the Bishop.
10. Describe Jane.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss whether you think this statement is true or false: "The Speaker of the Dead examines the problems problems that can occur in a monoreligous state." Use two examples from the novel to support your argument.
Essay Topic 2
Examine Novinha's children.
1) Why are Novinha's children so misbehaved? What do they lack in their life?
2) Why do the children react to positively to Ender?
3) Why does Grego see his father in a different light to the others?
Essay Topic 3
Speaker for the Dead is part of the science fiction genre.
1) What are the conventions of the science fiction genre in terms of character, language and plot?
2) In what way did Speaker for the Dead help to set the template for similar novels? Do modern novels still use the ideas used in Speaker for the Dead?
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)