|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what rules is Lusitania strict?
2. What is Ender's job?
3. Who does the youngest child injure?
4. Which of the children calls for a speaker?
5. Who does Libo care for at the arbiter's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jane want Ender to go to Lusitania?
2. How was present day Lusitania formed?
3. Why is Novinha afraid in Chapter 8?
4. How do the authorities deal with Pipo's death?
5. Why do humans dislike Ender?
6. Why does the hive queen want Ender to go to Lusitania?
7. Why is it important that the author introduces the alien race in the prologue?
8. What is the headmistress worried about in the first chapter?
9. How does Ender learn about Pipo's death?
10. How does Jane persuade Ender to go to Lusitania?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss whether you think this statement is true or false: "The Speaker of the Dead examines the problems problems that can occur in a monoreligous state." Use two examples from the novel to support your argument.
Essay Topic 2
Speaker for the Dead is a famous book which has greatly influenced the science fiction genre. Choose a science fiction book written after Speaker for the Dead that you think was influenced by the novel and discuss their similarities in terms of:
Essay Topic 3
Examine Novinha's children.
1) Why are Novinha's children so misbehaved? What do they lack in their life?
2) Why do the children react to positively to Ender?
3) Why does Grego see his father in a different light to the others?
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)