|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Heather want to sign her and Melinda up to do?
(a) Volunteer with children in the city art program.
(c) Participate in the musical.
(d) Volunteer to read to blind people.
2. What does the art teacher believe is as important as words and numbers?
3. Why does Melinda buy her lunch on her first day of school?
(a) Because she wants to stand in line next to a boy.
(b) She has plenty of money.
(c) Her mother had not gone to the grocery store the day before.
(d) So she can first see what is fashionable in what one brings for lunch.
4. Where does Melinda feel safe?
(a) Under the covers of her bed.
(b) At her mother's store.
(c) Sitting with her dad in the living room.
(d) No where.
5. About what do Melinda's parents confront her at dinner?
(a) Telling her art teacher that she is not allowed to draw.
(b) Her interim report card.
(c) Skipping class the day before.
(d) Hanging around with the bad elements of school.
6. What poster is on the wall in Melinda's space at school?
(a) Tom Hanks.
(b) A Bengal Tiger.
(c) Maya Angelou.
(d) A Wombat.
7. What does Melinda's mother forget to do on Thanksgiving?
(a) Defrost the turkey.
(b) Bake pumpkin pies.
(c) Invite her in-laws for dinner.
(d) Buy a turkey.
8. What did Melinda do last year on Halloween?
(a) Stayed home and read Dracula.
(b) Went out with her "clan."
(c) Babysat for a neighbor.
(d) Went to a scary movie.
9. To what does Melinda compare her math teacher's love of algebra?
(a) To the love someone has to playing the guitar or playing a sport.
(b) To the love of one's boy or girlfriend.
(c) To many guys' love of their cars.
(d) To the love of chocolate.
10. What list of ten items is given in "First Marking Period"?
(a) The three cardinal rules of high school.
(b) Five ways to begin to feel comfortable in high school.
(c) The ten most likely ways to succeed in high school.
(d) The the first ten lies told to you in high school.
11. What does Melinda remove from the wall of her room?
(a) A mirror.
(b) A poster of a horse.
(c) A poster of a movie star.
(d) A calendar.
12. Who is in Melinda's art class that won't speak to her?
13. What does Melinda notice about her lips in the mirror?
(a) The upper lip is fuller than the lower.
(b) The lower lip is fuller than the upper.
(c) They have scabs on them.
(d) They are misshapen.
14. What is one career on Melinda's job day test results?
15. What do Melinda's parents make her do in "Second Marking Period"?
(a) Stay after school for academic help.
(b) Go to her cousin's party.
(c) Stop dyeing her hair green.
(d) Cut her hair.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Melinda end up sitting near the front?
2. What does Melinda see as her job in algebra class?
3. Why does Melinda see math as being easy?
4. What does the art teacher think the establishment has beaten out of the students?
5. How is Melinda feeling emotionally as she boards the school bus?
This section contains 581 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)