|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dick regret on the day after the hurricane?
2. What does Dick do in January?
3. Which of the following does Dick NOT battle with in Chapter 36?
4. What happens to Elsie on board the Spartina as she and Dick talk?
5. Which of the following does Elsie NOT tell Dick?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does May ask Dick for $100?
2. Why is Dick confused about May's comments about what women want in their lives?
3. Why does Dick continue to feel instability on land, especially after discovering Marie having sex with Parker?
4. How does Elsie's refusal to have sex again with Dick signal an attempt to help him break a destructive pattern?
5. How does Schuyler's documentary put Dick in an unfavorable light?
6. What is May's response to Dick when he tells her about his affair with Elsie?
7. How does the weather reflect the state of Dick and his family?
8. Describe Dick's state of mind trying to balance May and Elsie in his life.
9. What is the significance of Dick and Elsie spotting the blue canoe after the storm?
10. What is the irony of the value of the books Miss Perry gave to Dick and his sons?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the Neptune. What is its role in the community? Is it typical of establishments in small towns in America?
Essay Topic 2
Striving takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Dick. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point in his life?
This section contains 878 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)