|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Elsie want to show Dick?
2. Who hails Dick from another boat?
3. Which of the following is NOT a reaction from the other men watching the documentary?
4. What does Dick think will be the end of his bad mood?
5. Which of the following does NOT describe May's behavior toward Dick?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the irony of the value of the books Miss Perry gave to Dick and his sons?
2. What mood does the author establish with the brevity of Chapter 47?
3. What is the symbolism of the spartina and the Wedding Cake that are still intact after the hurricane?
4. What is May's response to Dick when he tells her about his affair with Elsie?
5. How does the strain of Dick's infidelity begin to weigh on his mind?
6. Explain the three forces with which Dick battles during the hurricane.
7. How does Elsie interpret Dick's comment that they are similar to Marie and Parker?
8. How does the weather reflect the state of Dick and May's relationship?
9. What news does Dick learn when he overhears a conversation between Elsie and Mary?
10. Describe Dick's state of mind trying to balance May and Elsie in his life.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the Neptune. What is its role in the community? Is it typical of establishments in small towns in America?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 3
he author uses more than one iteration on the theme of hope. Identify at least two themes about hope in the book. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
This section contains 877 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)