|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the person writing in the sand?
2. Where does May tell Dick he can go?
3. What is the value of the books Miss Perry has given Dick's boys?
4. How much money did Elsie borrow from her brother-in-law for Dick?
5. What is ruined on the trip getting Dick's boat to the boatyard?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Dick feel himself becoming more like the people he used to hate?
2. How does Dick avoid telling May the truth about his affair with Elsie?
3. What is the significance of Dick and Elsie spotting the blue canoe after the storm?
4. What is the symbolism of the spartina and the Wedding Cake that are still intact after the hurricane?
5. What does Eddie note about Dick's mood even though the boat is finished and ready for launching?
6. How does the damage done to Dick's house mirror the damage to himself?
7. What news does Dick learn when he overhears a conversation between Elsie and Mary?
8. Explain how the hurricane has changed Dick and his feelings about his misplaced priorities.
9. What news does Elsie tell Dick about her life and how things are surprisingly working out to her benefit?
10. Describe the climax of the story as Dick's new boat is christened and launched.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of May. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her--if anything--at this point in her life?
Essay Topic 2
Striving takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 3
Project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for the lives of Dick, May, Elsie and Parker. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, hobbies, socialization, etc.
This section contains 954 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)