|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does May tell Dick he should fix first after the hurricane?
(a) Their house.
(b) Their relationship.
(c) The boat.
(d) The car.
2. Which of the following does Dick NOT plan to do with May tonight?
(a) Tell her he is leaving her.
(b) Give her a drink to get her in a better mood.
(c) Tell her things are not too bad.
(d) Take her to bed.
3. Who does May tell Dick has called him?
(c) His crew.
(d) Miss Perry.
4. What does Dick regret on the day after the hurricane?
(a) Having an affair with Elsie.
(b) Putting his boat before his family.
(c) Doing business with Joxer.
(d) Borrowing money from Miss Perry.
5. What is ruined on the trip getting Dick's boat to the boatyard?
(a) The side of a car.
(b) A portion of May's garden.
(c) Some street signs.
(d) A mailbox.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dick wonder if he will find now?
2. Why has Parker hired a Vietnamese family?
3. What does May do after Dick tells her about the baby?
4. What is Eddie concerned about after being with Dick?
5. What does Elsie show to Dick?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the irony of the value of the books Miss Perry gave to Dick and his sons?
2. Explain how the hurricane has changed Dick and his feelings about his misplaced priorities.
3. Explain how the author uses the technique of flashbacks in Chapter 50.
4. Explain the three forces with which Dick battles during the hurricane.
5. How does the strain of Dick's infidelity begin to weigh on his mind?
6. Explain the irony of Dick's new assertiveness with Parker.
7. How does Elsie's refusal to have sex again with Dick signal an attempt to help him break a destructive pattern?
8. What is the significance of Dick and Elsie spotting the blue canoe after the storm?
9. What is the symbolism of the spartina and the Wedding Cake that are still intact after the hurricane?
10. Why does Dick continue to feel instability on land, especially after discovering Marie having sex with Parker?
This section contains 953 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)