|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Dick go to wait out the hurricane?
(a) The Neptune.
(b) The Wedding Cake.
(c) The Spartina-May.
(d) His house.
2. In what kind of light does the documentary show Dick?
3. What does Dick regret on the day after the hurricane?
(a) Putting his boat before his family.
(b) Having an affair with Elsie.
(c) Borrowing money from Miss Perry.
(d) Doing business with Joxer.
4. What is ruined on the trip getting Dick's boat to the boatyard?
(a) A mailbox.
(b) Some street signs.
(c) A portion of May's garden.
(d) The side of a car.
5. Dick decides that if something had to be damaged in the storm he would prefer it to be _________________.
(a) His boat dock.
(b) His house.
(c) His boat.
(d) His car.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the person writing in the sand?
2. What do Dick and Eddie purchase for the boat in Chapter 31?
3. What does Tran's father hound Dick about?
4. What is Eddie concerned about after being with Dick?
5. Why is Dick angry at Parker?
Short Essay Questions
1. What news does Elsie tell Dick about her life and how things are surprisingly working out to her benefit?
2. What mood does the author establish with the brevity of Chapter 47?
3. What does Dick tell Elsie that he expects May's reaction will be when he reveals his infidelity?
4. Why is Dick confused about May's comments about what women want in their lives?
5. What news does Dick learn when he overhears a conversation between Elsie and Mary?
6. How do Dick's conflicted feelings about Parker continue to exhibit in Chapter 44?
7. What happens in Chapter 44 that exacerbates Dick's gloomy feelings when he is on shore?
8. What is May's response to Dick when he tells her about his affair with Elsie?
9. Explain how the hurricane has changed Dick and his feelings about his misplaced priorities.
10. What does Dick determine will be the new driving forces in his life?
This section contains 979 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)