|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Dick regret on the day after the hurricane?
(a) Borrowing money from Miss Perry.
(b) Doing business with Joxer.
(c) Putting his boat before his family.
(d) Having an affair with Elsie.
2. At what skill is Dick becoming more proficient?
3. What does the boatyard manager exclaim when he first sees Charlie's boat?
(a) Jesus H. Christ.
(b) Now, that's a boat.
(c) Holy shit.
(d) That the best you got?
4. Who owns the boat, the Lydia P.?
(a) Captain Texeira.
5. What is Dick considering telling May?
(a) That he had an affair with Elsie.
(b) That the house is a total loss.
(c) That he sold his boat.
(d) That he wants a divorce.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does NOT describe May's behavior toward Dick?
2. Elsie says Schuyler is happy because ______________________.
3. What does Dick think will be the new driving force for his life?
4. How much money did Elsie borrow from her brother-in-law for Dick?
5. Why is Dick angry at Parker?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the irony of Dick's new assertiveness with Parker.
2. What is the symbolism of the spartina and the Wedding Cake that are still intact after the hurricane?
3. How does Schuyler's documentary put Dick in an unfavorable light?
4. How does the damage done to Dick's house mirror the damage to himself?
5. What news does Dick learn when he overhears a conversation between Elsie and Mary?
6. What news does Elsie tell Dick about her life and how things are surprisingly working out to her benefit?
7. How does the weather reflect the state of Dick and his family?
8. Explain how the author uses the technique of flashbacks in Chapter 50.
9. How does the strain of Dick's infidelity begin to weigh on his mind?
10. Explain the three forces with which Dick battles during the hurricane.
This section contains 984 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)