|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what state does the story take place?
(d) Rhode Island.
2. What type of event do Dick and his sons manage for Joxer?
(a) A wedding.
(b) A retirement party.
(c) A clambake.
(d) A graduation party.
3. What happens after the noise of the party dies down?
(a) The guests go home.
(b) The guests swim naked.
(c) The guests go into town for more beer.
(d) The guests go boating.
4. What is The Wedding Cake?
(a) A wedding chapel.
(b) A house.
(c) A bakery.
(d) An office building.
5. What does May tell Dick she will not do again?
(a) Dye her hair black.
(b) Wear lime green.
(c) Live through another winter of his foul moods.
(d) Have plastic surgery.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Dick hide his skiff when it is spotted?
2. What is Larry shooting out on the water?
3. What is the name of the Rhode Island town where Dick lives?
4. What name does Parker call Dick?
5. What does Parker tell Dick to bring along on the trip to dump their crab catch?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the parallel that emerges between Dick and his deceased father.
2. How does Dick feel about the fantasies that Elsie finds erotic?
3. How does Dick think May will respond if she ever finds out about his affair with Elsie?
4. Explain Dick's internal conflict and how it relates to Parker's influence.
5. What are the two viable options for funding for Dick's boat at this point?
6. What is Dick's internal conflict about working for others to get the funds necessary to finish his boat?
7. How can Elsie be noted as the heroine of Chapter 10 and who would be the antithesis of that?
8. How does Elsie indicate that she is more interested in Dick and a relationship than he is regarding his not contacting her when he is out to sea longer than expected?
9. What is revealed about Dick's personality in Chapter 2 when he and his sons dig for illegal clams in the bird sanctuary?
10. How does Joxer's bad luck change the immediate future for more than himself?
This section contains 1,120 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)