|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Elsie tell Dick while they are in the blue canoe?
(a) About an abortion she had.
(b) She loves him.
(c) That she is moving away.
(d) An erotic story.
2. Why does Dick feel so low after securing a loan to finish his boat?
(a) May has left him.
(b) Miss Perry has died.
(c) He has given up his independence.
(d) Charlie has gone away to school.
3. Elsie says that Dick is _____________.
4. What is the name of Parker's boat?
(b) May Oui.
(d) May Flower.
5. What is The Wedding Cake?
(a) A bakery.
(b) An office building.
(c) A house.
(d) A wedding chapel.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does May withhold from Charlie?
2. Why does Dick go to Miss Perry's house in Chapter 29?
3. What do the fishermen drink at the end of this harrowing day?
4. What do Dick and Elsie do at Elsie's house?
5. Where did Dick and his friend, Larry Parker, once take a fifty-five foot boat?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is revealed about Dick's personality in Chapter 2 when he and his sons dig for illegal clams in the bird sanctuary?
2. Describe the parallel that emerges between Dick and his deceased father.
3. What is revealed about Dick's leadership skills on the documentary trip?
4. How does Dick justify the loss of his family's land by taking advantage of the relationships he has with wealthy people in the area?
5. Describe Dick's experience when he goes to Miss Perry's house to thank her for the loan.
6. How does the author show the vulnerable side of Elsie's normally strong personality?
7. How does Joxer's bad luck change the immediate future for more than himself?
8. How can Elsie be noted as the heroine of Chapter 10 and who would be the antithesis of that?
9. What is Dick's employment pattern and how does he plan to make money to finish his boat?
10. What advice does May give Dick before leaving on the swordfish trip which will be filmed for Schuyler's documentary?
This section contains 1,060 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)