|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Bel-Imperia tells Pedringano to watch the gate as she and Horatio speak, what does Pedringano do?
2. Why does Balthazar come to visit Bel-Imperia in the Spanish court?
3. What does the Ghost complain to Revenge that he should be seeing instead of his friend being slain?
4. After finding out that Bel-Imperia has feelings for Horatio, what does Lorenzo say must happen for Bel-Imperia to love Balthazar?
5. In the Spanish court, who pleads with Horatio to tell her more about the circumstances of Andrea's death, referring poetically to how much she loved him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Villuppo lie about Alexandro's guilt and what punishment is he given for his lies?
2. Who is Pedringano and how does Lorenzo persuade him to help in the plot against Horatio?
3. Whom does Balthazar request for a companion as prisoner and why?
4. What does Castile say to Bel-Imperia when she looks sad regarding her impending marriage to Balthazar?
5. At the beginning of Act 2, Scene 3, what does the king ask Castile and how does he respond?
6. Describe the conversation that the courtier and Villuppo have about Alexandro's guilt in Act 3, Scene 1.
7. What is difference between the imagery of heaven in Act 3, Scene 8, and earlier references of the afterlife in the play?
8. When Andrea first introduces himself in the play, what facets of his life does he mention?
9. Describe Hieronimo's confusion about Horatio's body after his initial recognition?
10. How does Pedringano react to the place being set for his execution and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Research the idea of morality plays, then write an essay exploring how this play compares with a morality play in content and form. How is it similar? How is it different?
Essay Topic 2
Isabella destroys the plants that surround the tree from which Horatio was hanged. Write an essay exploring the symbolism of plants in the play.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay exploring how Hieronimo's play and Lorenzo's actions are similar. Consider whether both these characters can be considered directors and what the idea of a director or playwright means in the context of "The Spanish Tragedy."
This section contains 786 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)