Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following characters is not present when a general reports to progress of Spain's war with Portugal in Act 1, Scene 2?
2. Why does the viceroy order that Alexandro be brought to him in Act 3, Scene 1?
3. Why is Andrea told he is brought back from the underworld?
4. How does Revenge respond to the Ghost's complaints that he doesn't want to watch his friend being slain?
5. What does the king ask Castile in Act 2, Scene 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Pedringano and how does Lorenzo persuade him to help in the plot against Horatio?
2. As Balthazar and Lorenzo watch from a hiding place, how does Bel-Imperia respond to Horatio's question about why she is still upset and what is Balthazar's response?
3. At the beginning of Act 1, Scene 3, who are the courtiers that report to the viceroy and what do they reveal?
4. Why does Lorenzo plot to kill Serberine and whom does he employ to help him carry out his plan?
5. When Andrea first introduces himself in the play, what facets of his life does he mention?
6. What advice does Lorenzo give Balthazar when Bel-Imperia is released?
7. Why does Hieronimo invite the third citizen to his house and what happens at the house?
8. Why does Castile come to visit Hieronimo while he is preparing for the play and what do they talk about?
9. Why did Villuppo lie about Alexandro's guilt and what punishment is he given for his lies?
10. What happens to reveal Pedringano's innocence after his execution?
Essay Topic 1
Research the idea of morality plays, then write an essay exploring how this play compares with a morality play in content and form. How is it similar? How is it different?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay explaining how Thomas Kyd uses literary devices to influence the flow of "The Spanish Tragedy." Be sure to refer to at least three literary devices in your essay,
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay exploring the differences between honor in men and women in "The Spanish Tragedy." How are the definitions of honor different for the genders? What examples do we see of this?
This section contains 821 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)