|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom does the king send a message via the Portuguese ambassador regarding the marriage of Bel-Imperia and Balthazar?
2. Who helps Balthazar and Lorenzo find a hiding place to listen and watch Bel-Imperia and Horatio talk?
3. How does the king greet Balthazar when he receives him as a prisoner?
4. Why does the viceroy order that Alexandro be brought to him in Act 3, Scene 1?
5. At the end of Act 3, Scene 1, what are the fates of Villuppo and Alexandro?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is an aside in a play and how does Villuppo use an aside in Act 1, Scene 3?
2. Describe Hieronimo's confusion about Horatio's body after his initial recognition?
3. Why did Villuppo lie about Alexandro's guilt and what punishment is he given for his lies?
4. What is Hieronimo's purpose at the king's banquet and how does this play out?
5. What does Hieronimo start doing in front of the king to cause the king to ask what is wrong with him?
6. How does Horatio react when Bel-Imperia asks him to tell her about the circumstances of Andrea's death and what information does he share?
7. When Andrea first introduces himself in the play, what facets of his life does he mention?
8. How is Alexandro going to be executed and how does he escape this fate?
9. At the beginning of Act 1, Scene 3, who are the courtiers that report to the viceroy and what do they reveal?
10. In the Underworld, what fate does the soul of Andrea face and who decides this fate?
Essay Topic 1
Isabella considers taking herbal remedies but decides that they will not be effective. Evaluate the role of healing and medicine in the novel, writing an essay showing how these themes play out in the context of "The Spanish Tragedy."
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay explaining how Thomas Kyd uses literary devices to influence the flow of "The Spanish Tragedy." Be sure to refer to at least three literary devices in your essay,
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay exploring how Hieronimo's play and Lorenzo's actions are similar. Consider whether both these characters can be considered directors and what the idea of a director or playwright means in the context of "The Spanish Tragedy."
This section contains 1,347 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)