Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following characters is not present when a general reports to progress of Spain's war with Portugal in Act 1, Scene 2?
2. Why does the viceroy order that Alexandro be brought to him in Act 3, Scene 1?
3. Why is Andrea told he is brought back from the underworld?
4. How does Revenge respond to the Ghost's complaints that he doesn't want to watch his friend being slain?
5. What does the king ask Castile in Act 2, Scene 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Pedringano and how does Lorenzo persuade him to help in the plot against Horatio?
2. As Balthazar and Lorenzo watch from a hiding place, how does Bel-Imperia respond to Horatio's question about why she is still upset and what is Balthazar's response?
3. At the beginning of Act 1, Scene 3, who are the courtiers that report to the viceroy and what do they reveal?
4. Why does Lorenzo plot to kill Serberine and whom does he employ to help him carry out his plan?
5. When Andrea first introduces himself in the play, what facets of his life does he mention?
6. What advice does Lorenzo give Balthazar when Bel-Imperia is released?
7. Why does Hieronimo invite the third citizen to his house and what happens at the house?
8. Why does Castile come to visit Hieronimo while he is preparing for the play and what do they talk about?
9. Why did Villuppo lie about Alexandro's guilt and what punishment is he given for his lies?
10. What happens to reveal Pedringano's innocence after his execution?
In Act 1, Scene 2, a clear contrast is seen between the civility of the king and the barbarity of battle. Write an essay exploring how this contrast plays a role in the play as a whole.
Write an essay explaining how Thomas Kyd uses literary devices to influence the flow of "The Spanish Tragedy." Be sure to refer to at least three literary devices in your essay,
Isabella destroys the plants that surround the tree from which Horatio was hanged. Write an essay exploring the symbolism of plants in the play.
This section contains 810 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)