|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lorenzo promise he will do while Balthazar distracts himself with sport and partying?
2. What does Villuppo reveal to the audience in an aside at the end of Act 1, Scene 3?
3. Which of the following characters does not have a say in the marriage between Balthazar and Bel-Imperia?
4. If Balthazar and Bel-Imperia have a son, over which country will he be king?
5. To what play is The Spanish Tragedy a sequel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Alexandro's fate at the end of Act 3, Scene 1 and what are the viceroy's plans?
2. Three men come in to seek justice from Hieronimo in his position as marshal. Describe the three complaints.
3. What is the viceroy's reaction to the marriage of Bel-Imperia and Balthazar and what does he plan to do afterward?
4. At the beginning of Act 1, Scene 3, who are the courtiers that report to the viceroy and what do they reveal?
5. When the Portuguese ask Hieronimo to lead them to Lorenzo, where does Hieronimo say Lorenzo is?
6. How does Spain win the battle against Portugal and who are they key players?
7. Who is Pedringano and how does Lorenzo persuade him to help in the plot against Horatio?
8. What is difference between the imagery of heaven in Act 3, Scene 8, and earlier references of the afterlife in the play?
9. How is Balthazar greeted as a prisoner by the king and how does Balthazar respond?
10. What does Isabella imagine herself doing in Act 3, Scene 8, and what does she see herself as?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Research the idea of morality plays, then write an essay exploring how this play compares with a morality play in content and form. How is it similar? How is it different?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay exploring how the concept of villain is defined through the characters in the play. Which characters function as villains? Do they share specific characteristics?
Essay Topic 3
Consider whether this play functions as a criticism of justice and the justice system. Then write an essay supporting your point.
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)