|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the audience know what Balthazar and Lorenzo are thinking as they secretly watch Bel-Imperia and Horatio?
2. At the end of Act 3, Scene 1, what are the fates of Villuppo and Alexandro?
3. How does the viceroy respond to Alexandro's claims about Balthazar?
4. Who challenged Don Pedro during the battle between Portugal and Spain?
5. Who is Serberine?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hieronimo start doing in front of the king to cause the king to ask what is wrong with him?
2. After her encounter with Balthazar at the Spanish court, what does Bel-Imperia drop, who picks it up, and how is this significant?
3. At the beginning of Act 1, Scene 3, who are the courtiers that report to the viceroy and what do they reveal?
4. What is difference between the imagery of heaven in Act 3, Scene 8, and earlier references of the afterlife in the play?
5. How does Hieronimo initially react to finding Horatio's body?
6. Describe the contents of the letter from Bel-Imperia to Hieronimo and Hieronimo's reaction to the letter.
7. When Isabella's thoughts return to the men who killed her son in Act 3, Scene 8, what does she do?
8. Describe Hieronimo's play, including whom he plans to include on stage.
9. How is Alexandro going to be executed and how does he escape this fate?
10. How does the viceroy respond to Villuppo's offer to tell the truth about Balthazar and what does Villuppo tell him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay evaluating how rhyming and blank un-rhyming verse are used to express the mood of particular characters or scenes.
Essay Topic 2
Imagery of both the pre-Christian idea of the Underworld and Christian idea of heaven are presented in the play. Write an essay exploring the reason for and differences between these two examples of imagery.
Essay Topic 3
Consider whether this play functions as a criticism of justice and the justice system. Then write an essay supporting your point.
This section contains 773 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)