|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Balthazar come to visit Bel-Imperia in the Spanish court?
2. What is Alexandro tied to in Act 3, Scene 1?
3. Why is Andrea told he is brought back from the underworld?
4. Which of the following characters' motives are exposed and explained in Act 2, Scene 3?
5. What does Alexandro tell the viceroy about Balthazar?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Hieronimo's play, including whom he plans to include on stage.
2. Whom does Balthazar request for a companion as prisoner and why?
3. How does the viceroy respond to Villuppo's offer to tell the truth about Balthazar and what does Villuppo tell him?
4. Why does the king want Castile to convince Bel-Imperia to accept Balthazar's courtship?
5. What does the Portuguese ambassador do as he is leaving the king and Castile?
6. How does Hieronimo initially react to finding Horatio's body?
7. Describe the conversation that the courtier and Villuppo have about Alexandro's guilt in Act 3, Scene 1.
8. What cure does the maid suggest for Isabella to ease her troubled thoughts, does she use it, and why or why not?
9. Three men come in to seek justice from Hieronimo in his position as marshal. Describe the three complaints.
10. The viceroy rants to his courtiers about what in Act 1, Scene 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The connection between Lorenzo and his Portuguese counterpart, Villuppo, allows for foreshadowing in what happens in the Spanish court. Write an essay exploring how this connection and others in the two courts support foreshadowing in the play.
Essay Topic 2
The central themes revenge represents are the inevitability and rightness of justice. Write an essay exploring how these themes come into play in "The Spanish Tragedy."
Essay Topic 3
Isabella considers taking herbal remedies but decides that they will not be effective. Evaluate the role of healing and medicine in the novel, writing an essay showing how these themes play out in the context of "The Spanish Tragedy."
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)