|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lorenzo promise he will do while Balthazar distracts himself with sport and partying?
2. Who accompanies the Ghost who appears in Act 1, Scene 1?
3. Who is the god of the dead?
4. In what language do Hieronimo and Isabella speak a dirge as they carry Horatio's body away?
5. When Pedringano says he does not know whom Bel-Imperia is in love with, how does Lorenzo respond?
Short Essay Questions
1. As Bel-Imperia and Horatio decide to marry and return to the banquet, what does Lorenzo say will happen to Horatio and what does he mean by this?
2. What is Hieronimo's purpose at the king's banquet and how does this play out?
3. How does Pedringano react to the place being set for his execution and why?
4. The viceroy rants to his courtiers about what in Act 1, Scene 3?
5. What is an aside in a play and how does Villuppo use an aside in Act 1, Scene 3?
6. What does the king tell the Portuguese ambassador about the marriage between Bel-Imperia and Balthazar and about them having a son?
7. What is difference between the imagery of heaven in Act 3, Scene 8, and earlier references of the afterlife in the play?
8. Describe the journey that Andrea takes through the Underworld.
9. How and why do the complaints of the third citizen affect Hieronimo?
10. When does it become apparent why Hieronimo asked for a key to the king's box seats and why did he do so?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1In Act 1, Scene 2, a clear contrast is seen between the civility of the king and the barbarity of battle. Write an essay exploring how this contrast plays a role in the play as a whole.
Essay Topic 2Write an essay evaluating how female power manifests itself verbally throughout the play.
Essay Topic 3Write an essay explaining how Thomas Kyd uses literary devices to influence the flow of "The Spanish Tragedy." Be sure to refer to at least three literary devices in your essay,
This section contains 758 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)