|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Does Castile give a time frame for the marriage between Balthazar and Bel-Imperia?
2. Why does Hieronimo urge Isabella to be calm and conceal her grief after Horatio's death?
3. What did Horatio insist happen to Andrea's body after his death?
4. When the procession in Act 1, Scene 2 passes by the king, to whom does the king demand a reward be given?
5. How does the viceroy react when Alexandro protests his innocence?
Short Essay Questions
1. When the Portuguese ask Hieronimo to lead them to Lorenzo, where does Hieronimo say Lorenzo is?
2. How is Balthazar greeted as a prisoner by the king and how does Balthazar respond?
3. Who is Pedringano and how does Lorenzo persuade him to help in the plot against Horatio?
4. At the beginning of Act 2, Scene 3, what does the king ask Castile and how does he respond?
5. To whom does Bel-Imperia find herself attracted after Andrea's death and why does she resolve to love him?
6. Describe how Horatio is killed and what is done to Bel-Imperia.
7. When does it become apparent why Hieronimo asked for a key to the king's box seats and why did he do so?
8. What is an aside in a play and how does Villuppo use an aside in Act 1, Scene 3?
9. What happens to reveal Pedringano's innocence after his execution?
10. How does the viceroy respond to Villuppo's offer to tell the truth about Balthazar and what does Villuppo tell him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bel-Imperia berates Hieronimo for not avenging Horatio's death sooner. Write an essay exploring the idea of the father in the play and what responsibility is associated with the role of the father.
Essay Topic 2
Imagery of both the pre-Christian idea of the Underworld and Christian idea of heaven are presented in the play. Write an essay exploring the reason for and differences between these two examples of imagery.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay explaining how Thomas Kyd uses literary devices to influence the flow of "The Spanish Tragedy." Be sure to refer to at least three literary devices in your essay,
This section contains 869 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)