|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What comment does Villuppo make to his courtier about Alexandro's friendship with Andrea?
2. Who is with Bel-Imperia when Balthazar arrives in the Spanish court?
3. Of what does Lorenzo try to assure Balthazar at the start of Act 2?
4. How can the language of the viceroy's soliloquy (really an aside) in Act 1, Scene 3 be described?
5. Which of the following is not a way that the Scene 1 in the play acts?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Hieronimo's play, including whom he plans to include on stage.
2. Describe the contents of the letter from Bel-Imperia to Hieronimo and Hieronimo's reaction to the letter.
3. When the Portuguese ask Hieronimo to lead them to Lorenzo, where does Hieronimo say Lorenzo is?
4. Three men come in to seek justice from Hieronimo in his position as marshal. Describe the three complaints.
5. What is difference between the imagery of heaven in Act 3, Scene 8, and earlier references of the afterlife in the play?
6. Describe Pedringano's involvement with the attack on Horatio.
7. How does Hieronimo initially react to finding Horatio's body?
8. What is the viceroy's reaction to the marriage of Bel-Imperia and Balthazar and what does he plan to do afterward?
9. When Andrea first introduces himself in the play, what facets of his life does he mention?
10. How does Spain win the battle against Portugal and who are they key players?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Isabella considers taking herbal remedies but decides that they will not be effective. Evaluate the role of healing and medicine in the novel, writing an essay showing how these themes play out in the context of "The Spanish Tragedy."
Essay Topic 2
In Act 2, Scene 3, the king tells Castile to convince Bel-Imperia to open her heart to Balthazar. Write an essay exploring how the hierarchy of power within the play affects the audience interpretation of events in this and other instances.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay explaining how Thomas Kyd uses literary devices to influence the flow of "The Spanish Tragedy." Be sure to refer to at least three literary devices in your essay,
This section contains 806 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)