|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Alexandro tied to in Act 3, Scene 1?
2. Whom does Balthazar request as his companion when he is captured?
3. In the Spanish court, who pleads with Horatio to tell her more about the circumstances of Andrea's death, referring poetically to how much she loved him?
4. Why does Hieronimo urge Isabella to be calm and conceal her grief after Horatio's death?
5. Who helps Balthazar and Lorenzo find a hiding place to listen and watch Bel-Imperia and Horatio talk?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hieronimo start doing in front of the king to cause the king to ask what is wrong with him?
2. Describe how Hieronimo kills himself and another that he kills with the same weapon.
3. Summarize how the general describes the events on the battlefield to the Spanish king and his men.
4. How is Balthazar greeted as a prisoner by the king and how does Balthazar respond?
5. How does Pedringano react to the place being set for his execution and why?
6. What is an aside in a play and how does Villuppo use an aside in Act 1, Scene 3?
7. How does Hieronimo initially react to finding Horatio's body?
8. Who does Pedringano reveal to Lorenzo as an object of Bel-Imperia's love and how does he know that she loves him?
9. Describe Hieronimo's soliloquy that he performs while reading from a book in Act 3, Scene 13.
10. When the Portuguese ask Hieronimo to lead them to Lorenzo, where does Hieronimo say Lorenzo is?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay explaining how Thomas Kyd uses literary devices to influence the flow of "The Spanish Tragedy." Be sure to refer to at least three literary devices in your essay,
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay evaluating Revenge as a hero. Do you think that he fits the bill for being a hero? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Both Christian and Roman mythological representations of the afterlife are depicted in the play. Write an essay comparing and contrasting these representations.
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)