|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the general report about the progress of Spain's war with Portugal in Act 1, Scene 2?
2. Once Villuppo tells the viceroy what happened to Balthazar, what does the viceroy say?
3. How does the audience know what Balthazar and Lorenzo are thinking as they secretly watch Bel-Imperia and Horatio?
4. What reason does the king give Castile for the marriage between Bel-Imperia and Balthazar?
5. What does Castile say about Bel-Imperia's feelings for Balthazar in Act 2, Scene 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. The viceroy rants to his courtiers about what in Act 1, Scene 3?
2. Describe Bel-Imperia and Balthazar's first meeting after she is released by Lorenzo.
3. What advice does Lorenzo give Balthazar when Bel-Imperia is released?
4. What excuse does Lorenzo give Bel-Imperia for imprisoning her?
5. When Isabella's thoughts return to the men who killed her son in Act 3, Scene 8, what does she do?
6. What is difference between the imagery of heaven in Act 3, Scene 8, and earlier references of the afterlife in the play?
7. Who does Pedringano reveal to Lorenzo as an object of Bel-Imperia's love and how does he know that she loves him?
8. What does the Portuguese ambassador do as he is leaving the king and Castile?
9. As Bel-Imperia and Horatio decide to marry and return to the banquet, what does Lorenzo say will happen to Horatio and what does he mean by this?
10. When Andrea first introduces himself in the play, what facets of his life does he mention?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The connection between Lorenzo and his Portuguese counterpart, Villuppo, allows for foreshadowing in what happens in the Spanish court. Write an essay exploring how this connection and others in the two courts support foreshadowing in the play.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay evaluating Revenge as a hero. Do you think that he fits the bill for being a hero? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The central themes revenge represents are the inevitability and rightness of justice. Write an essay exploring how these themes come into play in "The Spanish Tragedy."
This section contains 841 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)