Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following characters is not present when a general reports to progress of Spain's war with Portugal in Act 1, Scene 2?
2. Why does the viceroy order that Alexandro be brought to him in Act 3, Scene 1?
3. Why is Andrea told he is brought back from the underworld?
4. How does Revenge respond to the Ghost's complaints that he doesn't want to watch his friend being slain?
5. What does the king ask Castile in Act 2, Scene 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Pedringano and how does Lorenzo persuade him to help in the plot against Horatio?
2. As Balthazar and Lorenzo watch from a hiding place, how does Bel-Imperia respond to Horatio's question about why she is still upset and what is Balthazar's response?
3. At the beginning of Act 1, Scene 3, who are the courtiers that report to the viceroy and what do they reveal?
4. Why does Lorenzo plot to kill Serberine and whom does he employ to help him carry out his plan?
5. When Andrea first introduces himself in the play, what facets of his life does he mention?
6. What advice does Lorenzo give Balthazar when Bel-Imperia is released?
7. Why does Hieronimo invite the third citizen to his house and what happens at the house?
8. Why does Castile come to visit Hieronimo while he is preparing for the play and what do they talk about?
9. Why did Villuppo lie about Alexandro's guilt and what punishment is he given for his lies?
10. What happens to reveal Pedringano's innocence after his execution?
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay exploring how a desire for advancement, power, influence and control plays a role in attraction, both on a romantic and platonic level in the play. Think about why characters cultivate friendships or romances with certain characters and create enemies out of others.
Essay Topic 2
Consider whether this play functions as a criticism of justice and the justice system. Then write an essay supporting your point.
Essay Topic 3
Both Christian and Roman mythological representations of the afterlife are depicted in the play. Write an essay comparing and contrasting these representations.
This section contains 814 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)