|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. If Balthazar and Bel-Imperia have a son, over which country will he be king?
2. How does Hieronimo recognize Horatio's body after he is hanged?
3. Immediately after Hieronimo and Isabella lament the death of Horatio and talk about how happy he was at dinner, what does Hieronimo do?
4. Why is Andrea told he is brought back from the underworld?
5. Who is the king's nephew?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Hieronimo consider killing himself and why does he decide not to?
2. Why does Castile come to visit Hieronimo while he is preparing for the play and what do they talk about?
3. What is the viceroy's reaction to the marriage of Bel-Imperia and Balthazar and what does he plan to do afterward?
4. How and why do the complaints of the third citizen affect Hieronimo?
5. When Andrea first introduces himself in the play, what facets of his life does he mention?
6. What is an aside in a play and how does Villuppo use an aside in Act 1, Scene 3?
7. What does the Portuguese ambassador do as he is leaving the king and Castile?
8. How does the viceroy respond to Villuppo's offer to tell the truth about Balthazar and what does Villuppo tell him?
9. The viceroy rants to his courtiers about what in Act 1, Scene 3?
10. What is difference between the imagery of heaven in Act 3, Scene 8, and earlier references of the afterlife in the play?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay evaluating Revenge as a hero. Do you think that he fits the bill for being a hero? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay exploring how Hieronimo's play and Lorenzo's actions are similar. Consider whether both these characters can be considered directors and what the idea of a director or playwright means in the context of "The Spanish Tragedy."
Essay Topic 3
Isabella considers taking herbal remedies but decides that they will not be effective. Evaluate the role of healing and medicine in the novel, writing an essay showing how these themes play out in the context of "The Spanish Tragedy."
This section contains 836 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)