|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the god of the dead?
2. Where is the viceroy when he speaks with two warriors/courtiers in Act 1, Scene 3?
3. What does Hieronimo keep to remind him of Horatio and his need for revenge?
4. Who is with Bel-Imperia when Balthazar arrives in the Spanish court?
5. Which of the following literary devices are used to begin Act 2, Scene 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Portuguese ambassador do as he is leaving the king and Castile?
2. Who does Pedringano reveal to Lorenzo as an object of Bel-Imperia's love and how does he know that she loves him?
3. Why does Castile come to visit Hieronimo while he is preparing for the play and what do they talk about?
4. At the beginning of Act 1, Scene 3, who are the courtiers that report to the viceroy and what do they reveal?
5. Three men come in to seek justice from Hieronimo in his position as marshal. Describe the three complaints.
6. Who brings the Ghost of Andrea back to the land of the living and why?
7. At the beginning of Act 2, Scene 3, what does the king ask Castile and how does he respond?
8. What cure does the maid suggest for Isabella to ease her troubled thoughts, does she use it, and why or why not?
9. Whom does Balthazar request for a companion as prisoner and why?
10. What happens to reveal Pedringano's innocence after his execution?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The central themes revenge represents are the inevitability and rightness of justice. Write an essay exploring how these themes come into play in "The Spanish Tragedy."
Essay Topic 2
Research the idea of morality plays, then write an essay exploring how this play compares with a morality play in content and form. How is it similar? How is it different?
Essay Topic 3
Isabella considers taking herbal remedies but decides that they will not be effective. Evaluate the role of healing and medicine in the novel, writing an essay showing how these themes play out in the context of "The Spanish Tragedy."
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)