|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Pedringano says he does not know whom Bel-Imperia is in love with, how does Lorenzo respond?
2. At the end of Act 3, Scene 1, what are the fates of Villuppo and Alexandro?
3. How does the king interpret the the use of warriors in the play presented at his banquet?
4. Where was Andrea slain?
5. As Balthazar and Lorenzo watch, why does Bel-Imperia tell Horatio she is still upset?
Short Essay Questions
1. To whom does Bel-Imperia find herself attracted after Andrea's death and why does she resolve to love him?
2. Why does the king want Castile to convince Bel-Imperia to accept Balthazar's courtship?
3. Who does Pedringano reveal to Lorenzo as an object of Bel-Imperia's love and how does he know that she loves him?
4. How does Spain win the battle against Portugal and who are they key players?
5. Who brings the Ghost of Andrea back to the land of the living and why?
6. What is difference between the imagery of heaven in Act 3, Scene 8, and earlier references of the afterlife in the play?
7. How is Balthazar greeted as a prisoner by the king and how does Balthazar respond?
8. At the beginning of Act 1, Scene 3, who are the courtiers that report to the viceroy and what do they reveal?
9. Who is Pedringano and how does Lorenzo persuade him to help in the plot against Horatio?
10. Describe the contents of the letter from Bel-Imperia to Hieronimo and Hieronimo's reaction to the letter.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay evaluating Revenge as a hero. Do you think that he fits the bill for being a hero? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
In Act 1, Scene 2, a clear contrast is seen between the civility of the king and the barbarity of battle. Write an essay exploring how this contrast plays a role in the play as a whole.
Essay Topic 3
Consider whether this play functions as a criticism of justice and the justice system. Then write an essay supporting your point.
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)