|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following literary devices are used to begin Act 2, Scene 1?
2. In the underworld, to whom do the governing spirits send Andrea to be judged?
3. How does the viceroy react when Alexandro protests his innocence?
4. Where is the viceroy when he speaks with two warriors/courtiers in Act 1, Scene 3?
5. Which of the following characters' motives are exposed and explained in Act 2, Scene 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is an aside in a play and how does Villuppo use an aside in Act 1, Scene 3?
2. What does the king tell the Portuguese ambassador about the marriage between Bel-Imperia and Balthazar and about them having a son?
3. Why does Hieronimo consider killing himself and why does he decide not to?
4. What advice does Lorenzo give Balthazar when Bel-Imperia is released?
5. Describe the conversation that the courtier and Villuppo have about Alexandro's guilt in Act 3, Scene 1.
6. What is the viceroy's reaction to the marriage of Bel-Imperia and Balthazar and what does he plan to do afterward?
7. The viceroy rants to his courtiers about what in Act 1, Scene 3?
8. How does Spain win the battle against Portugal and who are they key players?
9. Three men come in to seek justice from Hieronimo in his position as marshal. Describe the three complaints.
10. What is difference between the imagery of heaven in Act 3, Scene 8, and earlier references of the afterlife in the play?
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay evaluating Revenge as a hero. Do you think that he fits the bill for being a hero? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
In Act 1, Scene 2, a clear contrast is seen between the civility of the king and the barbarity of battle. Write an essay exploring how this contrast plays a role in the play as a whole.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay evaluating how female power manifests itself verbally throughout the play.
This section contains 1,288 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)