|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who helps Balthazar and Lorenzo find a hiding place to listen and watch Bel-Imperia and Horatio talk?
2. How do the king and his people celebrate their victory in the battle against Portugal?
3. What does Hieronimo keep to remind him of Horatio and his need for revenge?
4. Which of the following does the viceroy not lament during his aside to his two courtiers?
5. How does Pedringano say he found out about Bel-Imperia and Horatio's relationship?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Villuppo lie about Alexandro's guilt and what punishment is he given for his lies?
2. What does the Portuguese ambassador do as he is leaving the king and Castile?
3. Summarize how the general describes the events on the battlefield to the Spanish king and his men.
4. Describe Hieronimo's soliloquy that he performs while reading from a book in Act 3, Scene 13.
5. What cure does the maid suggest for Isabella to ease her troubled thoughts, does she use it, and why or why not?
6. As Bel-Imperia and Horatio decide to marry and return to the banquet, what does Lorenzo say will happen to Horatio and what does he mean by this?
7. To whom does Bel-Imperia find herself attracted after Andrea's death and why does she resolve to love him?
8. Why does the king want Castile to convince Bel-Imperia to accept Balthazar's courtship?
9. What is Alexandro's fate at the end of Act 3, Scene 1 and what are the viceroy's plans?
10. How does Pedringano react to the place being set for his execution and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Imagery of both the pre-Christian idea of the Underworld and Christian idea of heaven are presented in the play. Write an essay exploring the reason for and differences between these two examples of imagery.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay evaluating how female power manifests itself verbally throughout the play.
Essay Topic 3
In Act 1, Scene 2, a clear contrast is seen between the civility of the king and the barbarity of battle. Write an essay exploring how this contrast plays a role in the play as a whole.
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)