|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the god of the dead?
2. Who leads the procession that appears after the trumpet sounds in Act 1, Scene 2?
3. What is the relationship between Balthazar and Andrea?
4. Why does the king want a marriage between Bel-Imperia and Balthazar?
5. What excuse does Villuppo give for lying about Balthazar's death?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Hieronimo's play, including whom he plans to include on stage.
2. Why did Villuppo lie about Alexandro's guilt and what punishment is he given for his lies?
3. Who is Pedringano and how does Lorenzo persuade him to help in the plot against Horatio?
4. Describe Bel-Imperia and Balthazar's first meeting after she is released by Lorenzo.
5. To whom does Bel-Imperia find herself attracted after Andrea's death and why does she resolve to love him?
6. At the beginning of Act 1, Scene 3, who are the courtiers that report to the viceroy and what do they reveal?
7. Describe Pedringano's involvement with the attack on Horatio.
8. What does Castile say to Bel-Imperia when she looks sad regarding her impending marriage to Balthazar?
9. Why does Hieronimo consider killing himself and why does he decide not to?
10. How does Spain win the battle against Portugal and who are they key players?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Isabella destroys the plants that surround the tree from which Horatio was hanged. Write an essay exploring the symbolism of plants in the play.
Essay Topic 2
Consider whether this play functions as a criticism of justice and the justice system. Then write an essay supporting your point.
Essay Topic 3
Research the idea of morality plays, then write an essay exploring how this play compares with a morality play in content and form. How is it similar? How is it different?
This section contains 1,340 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)