|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the king tell Castile to do at the end of Act 2, Scene 3?
2. What does Castile say about Bel-Imperia's feelings for Balthazar in Act 2, Scene 3?
3. How does the ambassador prove to the viceroy that Balthazar is alive?
4. Of what does Lorenzo try to assure Balthazar at the start of Act 2?
5. What does Villuppo reveal to the audience in an aside at the end of Act 1, Scene 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. When the Portuguese ask Hieronimo to lead them to Lorenzo, where does Hieronimo say Lorenzo is?
2. To whom does Bel-Imperia find herself attracted after Andrea's death and why does she resolve to love him?
3. What does the Portuguese ambassador do as he is leaving the king and Castile?
4. How does Pedringano react to the place being set for his execution and why?
5. Describe Hieronimo's soliloquy that he performs while reading from a book in Act 3, Scene 13.
6. Describe Hieronimo's confusion about Horatio's body after his initial recognition?
7. What does Hieronimo start doing in front of the king to cause the king to ask what is wrong with him?
8. Describe how Hieronimo kills himself and another that he kills with the same weapon.
9. As Bel-Imperia and Horatio decide to marry and return to the banquet, what does Lorenzo say will happen to Horatio and what does he mean by this?
10. At the beginning of Act 1, Scene 3, who are the courtiers that report to the viceroy and what do they reveal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay exploring how a desire for advancement, power, influence and control plays a role in attraction, both on a romantic and platonic level in the play. Think about why characters cultivate friendships or romances with certain characters and create enemies out of others.
Essay Topic 2
Consider whether this play functions as a criticism of justice and the justice system. Then write an essay supporting your point.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay exploring how the concept of villain is defined through the characters in the play. Which characters function as villains? Do they share specific characteristics?
This section contains 843 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)