|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does the king say Balthazar will be kept prisoner in Act 1, Scene 2?
2. Who brings Andrea back to the living from the underworld?
3. When Bel-Imperia tells Pedringano to watch the gate as she and Horatio speak, what does Pedringano do?
4. What does Bel-Imperia drop after her visit with Balthazar in Act 1, Scene 4?
5. What is Alexandro tied to in Act 3, Scene 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. How and why do the complaints of the third citizen affect Hieronimo?
2. How does Pedringano react to the place being set for his execution and why?
3. What does Isabella imagine herself doing in Act 3, Scene 8, and what does she see herself as?
4. Describe Hieronimo's soliloquy that he performs while reading from a book in Act 3, Scene 13.
5. Describe Hieronimo's confusion about Horatio's body after his initial recognition?
6. As Bel-Imperia and Horatio decide to marry and return to the banquet, what does Lorenzo say will happen to Horatio and what does he mean by this?
7. Why does Lorenzo plot to kill Serberine and whom does he employ to help him carry out his plan?
8. What does Castile say to Bel-Imperia when she looks sad regarding her impending marriage to Balthazar?
9. Why did Villuppo lie about Alexandro's guilt and what punishment is he given for his lies?
10. Describe the journey that Andrea takes through the Underworld.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay exploring the differences between honor in men and women in "The Spanish Tragedy." How are the definitions of honor different for the genders? What examples do we see of this?
Essay Topic 2
In Act 1, Scene 2, a clear contrast is seen between the civility of the king and the barbarity of battle. Write an essay exploring how this contrast plays a role in the play as a whole.
Essay Topic 3
Isabella considers taking herbal remedies but decides that they will not be effective. Evaluate the role of healing and medicine in the novel, writing an essay showing how these themes play out in the context of "The Spanish Tragedy."
This section contains 706 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)