|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Castile?
2. Who brings Andrea back to the living from the underworld?
3. Who are the two warriors/courtiers with whom the viceroy speaks in Act 1, Scene 3?
4. What excuse does Villuppo give for lying about Balthazar's death?
5. Which of the following literary devices are used to begin Act 2, Scene 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize how the general describes the events on the battlefield to the Spanish king and his men.
2. Describe Hieronimo's play, including whom he plans to include on stage.
3. Who does Pedringano reveal to Lorenzo as an object of Bel-Imperia's love and how does he know that she loves him?
4. What happens to reveal Pedringano's innocence after his execution?
5. How and why do the complaints of the third citizen affect Hieronimo?
6. What does Isabella imagine herself doing in Act 3, Scene 8, and what does she see herself as?
7. Why does Castile come to visit Hieronimo while he is preparing for the play and what do they talk about?
8. What is difference between the imagery of heaven in Act 3, Scene 8, and earlier references of the afterlife in the play?
9. Describe Hieronimo's soliloquy that he performs while reading from a book in Act 3, Scene 13.
10. In the Underworld, what fate does the soul of Andrea face and who decides this fate?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lorenzo, Villuppo, and Revenge all are characters who try to write their own fate. Write an essay exploring how the manipulations of one or all of these characters serves as a commentary on drama.
Essay Topic 2
Bel-Imperia berates Hieronimo for not avenging Horatio's death sooner. Write an essay exploring the idea of the father in the play and what responsibility is associated with the role of the father.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay evaluating Revenge as a hero. Do you think that he fits the bill for being a hero? Why or why not?
This section contains 721 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)