|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who leads the procession that appears after the trumpet sounds in Act 1, Scene 2?
2. Why does the viceroy order that Alexandro be brought to him in Act 3, Scene 1?
3. To whom does the king send a message via the Portuguese ambassador regarding the marriage of Bel-Imperia and Balthazar?
4. To whom does Bel-Imperia find herself attracted in Act 1, Scene 4?
5. Whom does Balthazar request as his companion when he is captured?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Horatio is killed and what is done to Bel-Imperia.
2. As Balthazar and Lorenzo watch from a hiding place, how does Bel-Imperia respond to Horatio's question about why she is still upset and what is Balthazar's response?
3. What does Hieronimo start doing in front of the king to cause the king to ask what is wrong with him?
4. In the Underworld, what fate does the soul of Andrea face and who decides this fate?
5. Describe how Hieronimo kills himself and another that he kills with the same weapon.
6. Describe the journey that Andrea takes through the Underworld.
7. Summarize how the general describes the events on the battlefield to the Spanish king and his men.
8. How and why do the complaints of the third citizen affect Hieronimo?
9. When the Portuguese ask Hieronimo to lead them to Lorenzo, where does Hieronimo say Lorenzo is?
10. Describe Hieronimo's soliloquy that he performs while reading from a book in Act 3, Scene 13.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bel-Imperia berates Hieronimo for not avenging Horatio's death sooner. Write an essay exploring the idea of the father in the play and what responsibility is associated with the role of the father.
Essay Topic 2
Isabella considers taking herbal remedies but decides that they will not be effective. Evaluate the role of healing and medicine in the novel, writing an essay showing how these themes play out in the context of "The Spanish Tragedy."
Essay Topic 3
The central themes revenge represents are the inevitability and rightness of justice. Write an essay exploring how these themes come into play in "The Spanish Tragedy."
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)