|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are the two warriors/courtiers with whom the viceroy speaks in Act 1, Scene 3?
2. Which of the following does the Ambassador NOT do in Act 2, Scene 3?
3. Who does the viceroy ask to bring Alexandro to him in Act 3, Scene 1?
4. Which of the following literary devices are used to begin Act 2, Scene 1?
5. How does the audience know what Balthazar and Lorenzo are thinking as they secretly watch Bel-Imperia and Horatio?
Short Essay Questions
1. As Balthazar and Lorenzo watch from a hiding place, how does Bel-Imperia respond to Horatio's question about why she is still upset and what is Balthazar's response?
2. Why does the king want Castile to convince Bel-Imperia to accept Balthazar's courtship?
3. Describe the conversation that Bel-Imperia and Hieronimo have regarding avenging Horatio's death.
4. How does Spain win the battle against Portugal and who are they key players?
5. What advice does Lorenzo give Balthazar when Bel-Imperia is released?
6. To whom does Bel-Imperia find herself attracted after Andrea's death and why does she resolve to love him?
7. Describe the conversation that the courtier and Villuppo have about Alexandro's guilt in Act 3, Scene 1.
8. What is an aside in a play and how does Villuppo use an aside in Act 1, Scene 3?
9. Describe why Hieronimo says Horatio was a good son.
10. When does it become apparent why Hieronimo asked for a key to the king's box seats and why did he do so?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Research the idea of morality plays, then write an essay exploring how this play compares with a morality play in content and form. How is it similar? How is it different?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay exploring how the concept of villain is defined through the characters in the play. Which characters function as villains? Do they share specific characteristics?
Essay Topic 3
The central themes revenge represents are the inevitability and rightness of justice. Write an essay exploring how these themes come into play in "The Spanish Tragedy."
This section contains 823 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)