|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bel-Imperia drop after her visit with Balthazar in Act 1, Scene 4?
2. Why is Andrea told he is brought back from the underworld?
3. As Balthazar and Lorenzo watch, why does Bel-Imperia tell Horatio she is still upset?
4. What story does Villuppo tell the viceroy about what happened to Balthazar?
5. Why does Horatio hesitate to tell the story of Andrea's death in the Spanish court?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who brings the Ghost of Andrea back to the land of the living and why?
2. How and why do the complaints of the third citizen affect Hieronimo?
3. What does the king tell the Portuguese ambassador about the marriage between Bel-Imperia and Balthazar and about them having a son?
4. Describe why Hieronimo says Horatio was a good son.
5. Why did Villuppo lie about Alexandro's guilt and what punishment is he given for his lies?
6. How does Pedringano react to the place being set for his execution and why?
7. Who is Pedringano and how does Lorenzo persuade him to help in the plot against Horatio?
8. What does Isabella imagine herself doing in Act 3, Scene 8, and what does she see herself as?
9. The viceroy rants to his courtiers about what in Act 1, Scene 3?
10. Three men come in to seek justice from Hieronimo in his position as marshal. Describe the three complaints.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Both Christian and Roman mythological representations of the afterlife are depicted in the play. Write an essay comparing and contrasting these representations.
Essay Topic 2
In Act 1, Scene 2, a clear contrast is seen between the civility of the king and the barbarity of battle. Write an essay exploring how this contrast plays a role in the play as a whole.
Essay Topic 3
Imagery of both the pre-Christian idea of the Underworld and Christian idea of heaven are presented in the play. Write an essay exploring the reason for and differences between these two examples of imagery.
This section contains 776 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)