|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. If Balthazar and Bel-Imperia have a son, over which country will he be king?
2. What comment does Villuppo make to his courtier about Alexandro's friendship with Andrea?
3. What does Alexandro tell the viceroy about Balthazar?
4. About whom does a courtier make a comment to the viceroy, saying that he is surprised could be filled with so much hate in regard to Balthazar's death?
5. What did Horatio insist happen to Andrea's body after his death?
Short Essay Questions
1. The viceroy rants to his courtiers about what in Act 1, Scene 3?
2. After her encounter with Balthazar at the Spanish court, what does Bel-Imperia drop, who picks it up, and how is this significant?
3. Three men come in to seek justice from Hieronimo in his position as marshal. Describe the three complaints.
4. What is the viceroy's reaction to the marriage of Bel-Imperia and Balthazar and what does he plan to do afterward?
5. What is Hieronimo's purpose at the king's banquet and how does this play out?
6. Describe the contents of the letter from Bel-Imperia to Hieronimo and Hieronimo's reaction to the letter.
7. What happens to reveal Pedringano's innocence after his execution?
8. Describe why Hieronimo says Horatio was a good son.
9. Describe Hieronimo's soliloquy that he performs while reading from a book in Act 3, Scene 13.
10. Why does Lorenzo plot to kill Serberine and whom does he employ to help him carry out his plan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Imagery of both the pre-Christian idea of the Underworld and Christian idea of heaven are presented in the play. Write an essay exploring the reason for and differences between these two examples of imagery.
Essay Topic 2
In Act 2, Scene 3, the king tells Castile to convince Bel-Imperia to open her heart to Balthazar. Write an essay exploring how the hierarchy of power within the play affects the audience interpretation of events in this and other instances.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay evaluating how rhyming and blank un-rhyming verse are used to express the mood of particular characters or scenes.
This section contains 1,313 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)