|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the king interpret the the use of warriors in the play presented at his banquet?
2. How do the king and his people celebrate their victory in the battle against Portugal?
3. Once Villuppo tells the viceroy what happened to Balthazar, what does the viceroy say?
4. What comment does Villuppo make to his courtier about Alexandro's friendship with Andrea?
5. After finding out that Bel-Imperia has feelings for Horatio, what does Lorenzo say must happen for Bel-Imperia to love Balthazar?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Pedringano react to the place being set for his execution and why?
2. Describe the contents of the letter from Bel-Imperia to Hieronimo and Hieronimo's reaction to the letter.
3. How is Alexandro going to be executed and how does he escape this fate?
4. When does it become apparent why Hieronimo asked for a key to the king's box seats and why did he do so?
5. When Andrea first introduces himself in the play, what facets of his life does he mention?
6. In the Underworld, what fate does the soul of Andrea face and who decides this fate?
7. Describe Bel-Imperia's soliloquy in Act 3, Scene 9.
8. Describe how Hieronimo kills himself and another that he kills with the same weapon.
9. To whom does Bel-Imperia find herself attracted after Andrea's death and why does she resolve to love him?
10. Describe how Horatio is killed and what is done to Bel-Imperia.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay explaining how Thomas Kyd uses literary devices to influence the flow of "The Spanish Tragedy." Be sure to refer to at least three literary devices in your essay,
Essay Topic 2
Isabella considers taking herbal remedies but decides that they will not be effective. Evaluate the role of healing and medicine in the novel, writing an essay showing how these themes play out in the context of "The Spanish Tragedy."
Essay Topic 3
In Act 1, Scene 2, a clear contrast is seen between the civility of the king and the barbarity of battle. Write an essay exploring how this contrast plays a role in the play as a whole.
This section contains 1,333 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)