|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the viceroy confirm with the two warriors/courtiers in Act 1, Scene 3?
2. Which title does Balthazar hold?
3. How does the king interpret the the use of warriors in the play presented at his banquet?
4. Who challenged Don Pedro during the battle between Portugal and Spain?
5. Which of the following characters does not have a say in the marriage between Balthazar and Bel-Imperia?
Short Essay Questions
1. As Balthazar and Lorenzo watch from a hiding place, how does Bel-Imperia respond to Horatio's question about why she is still upset and what is Balthazar's response?
2. At the beginning of Act 1, Scene 3, who are the courtiers that report to the viceroy and what do they reveal?
3. After her encounter with Balthazar at the Spanish court, what does Bel-Imperia drop, who picks it up, and how is this significant?
4. How does the viceroy respond to Villuppo's offer to tell the truth about Balthazar and what does Villuppo tell him?
5. Describe why Hieronimo says Horatio was a good son.
6. As Bel-Imperia and Horatio decide to marry and return to the banquet, what does Lorenzo say will happen to Horatio and what does he mean by this?
7. When does it become apparent why Hieronimo asked for a key to the king's box seats and why did he do so?
8. Describe the conversation that Bel-Imperia and Hieronimo have regarding avenging Horatio's death.
9. When the Portuguese ask Hieronimo to lead them to Lorenzo, where does Hieronimo say Lorenzo is?
10. What is an aside in a play and how does Villuppo use an aside in Act 1, Scene 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Imagery of both the pre-Christian idea of the Underworld and Christian idea of heaven are presented in the play. Write an essay exploring the reason for and differences between these two examples of imagery.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay exploring the differences between honor in men and women in "The Spanish Tragedy." How are the definitions of honor different for the genders? What examples do we see of this?
Essay Topic 3
In Act 1, Scene 2, a clear contrast is seen between the civility of the king and the barbarity of battle. Write an essay exploring how this contrast plays a role in the play as a whole.
This section contains 1,424 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)