|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are the two warriors/courtiers with whom the viceroy speaks in Act 1, Scene 3?
2. Who accompanies the Ghost who appears in Act 1, Scene 1?
3. Why does the viceroy command Alexandro's imprisonment?
4. Which of the following describes the viceroy's complaints at the beginning of Act 3, Scene 1?
5. If Balthazar and Bel-Imperia have a son, over which country will he be king?
Short Essay Questions
1. How and why do the complaints of the third citizen affect Hieronimo?
2. Describe the events preceding Isabella's suicide and explain how she kills herself.
3. What is difference between the imagery of heaven in Act 3, Scene 8, and earlier references of the afterlife in the play?
4. At the beginning of Act 2, Scene 3, what does the king ask Castile and how does he respond?
5. Summarize how the general describes the events on the battlefield to the Spanish king and his men.
6. When Isabella's thoughts return to the men who killed her son in Act 3, Scene 8, what does she do?
7. When does it become apparent why Hieronimo asked for a key to the king's box seats and why did he do so?
8. Describe the contents of the letter from Bel-Imperia to Hieronimo and Hieronimo's reaction to the letter.
9. Describe how Horatio is killed and what is done to Bel-Imperia.
10. What cure does the maid suggest for Isabella to ease her troubled thoughts, does she use it, and why or why not?
Essay Topic 1
Both Christian and Roman mythological representations of the afterlife are depicted in the play. Write an essay comparing and contrasting these representations.
Essay Topic 2
In Act 1, Scene 2, a clear contrast is seen between the civility of the king and the barbarity of battle. Write an essay exploring how this contrast plays a role in the play as a whole.
Essay Topic 3
Research the idea of morality plays, then write an essay exploring how this play compares with a morality play in content and form. How is it similar? How is it different?
This section contains 1,365 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)