|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Woman thank the Man for doing in the third scene?
2. What does the Man notice the Woman is staring at in Scene 3?
3. How does Scene 1 conclude?
4. Where does the Man hide the flower he takes in Scene 1?
5. What does the Man hear in Scene 4 that wakes him up?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the Man ask the Woman how she can sleep at night, and what is her response?
2. How does the Man describe his home differently than that of the Woman's home?
3. What does the Man say about the Woman's flowers in the second scene?
4. What does the Woman say in the final scene that she wanted to do for the Man, and what did she not want to do?
5. Why does the Man say he can do so much on this particular day in Scene 3?
6. What does the Woman tell the Man to do at the end of the third scene, and what does she do to the man?
7. What is the play's message about relationships between men and women?
8. What is changing in the relationship between the Man and the Woman in the fourth scene?
9. What does the Woman say she wanted to do for both herself and the Man in the final scene?
10. What does the Man's hesitation to reveal his destination to the Woman in Scene Two reveal about how he feels about the Woman that has carried over from their first meeting?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Man and the Woman start as strangers, but their relationship evolves into something much different. Respond to the following using examples from the play to support your answer:
1) How does the relationship of the Man and the Woman change from when they first meet to the middle of the play? How does the relationship change from the middle of the play to the end of the story?
2) What influences the change in the relationship between the characters? Do they both long for the same thing? Do they both fear the same thing?
3) How does the relationship between the Man and the Woman affect the Man after the Woman's death?
Essay Topic 2
The plot of "The Sound of a Voice" illustrates the lives of the Man and the Woman over a short span of time. Answer the following questions with supporting examples:
1) How does the organization of the play influence the plot of the story?
2) How does the short period together affect the way the characters are portrayed to interact with each other?
3) Why did the author choose to focus on such a short span of time? How does this affect the presentation of the play as a theatrical performance?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the play, the Woman is represented as an artful soul who has a solitary but poetic life. Please use examples, and write an essay to answer the following questions:
1) How do outsiders perceive the Woman? What makes them think that she is like the way she is?
2) How does the Man's perception of the Woman change over time? Does he truly change his opinion of her by the end of the play?
3) Does the author imply that men view women as beautiful yet mysterious beings? Why or why not?
This section contains 868 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)