• The Sound and the Fury is a novel in four parts, set in a fictional county in Mississippi and depicting the decline of a dysfunctional Southern family.
• Jason Compson is a caring father, while Caroline is too self-absorbed to have any time for her children.
• Caroline's brother Maury is a poor businessman that makes unsuccessful investments, usually with money he borrows from other people.
• The youngest child, Benjy, is mute and severely retarded.
• As a young child, Benjy's world revolves around his sister Caddy, the only one of his siblings who shows him love.
• As Caddy matures, however, her promiscuity leads to her pregnancy and eventual marriage to a wealthy banker.
• When the banker finds out that he is not the father of Caddy's child he divorces her, bringing shame on her family and costing her brother Jason a promised job.
• Quentin is a romantic and sensitive...
This section contains 2,411 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)