|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are David and Charles surprised by in Section 4?
(a) A flock of ravens.
(b) A frightened fox.
(c) A bobcat.
(d) A large crack in the earth.
2. What does Charles do in Section 3 when he sees what he believes to be an omen?
(a) He builds a fire.
(b) He runs home.
(c) He hides behind a bush.
(d) He sings to the spirits.
3. At the end of Section 6, what do David and Charles hear that makes Charles drag David behind a log?
(a) A rifle shot.
(b) A helicopter.
(c) A bobcat.
(d) A hunter's voice.
4. What did David do after the television broadcast showing his father?
(a) Wrote a long letter to his parents.
(b) Excitedly bragged to his friends.
(c) Went for a swim.
(d) Celebrated with friends.
5. What is the name of the alleged kidnapper?
(a) Tilman Barth.
(b) Norman Hosbig.
(c) Charles Hobuhet.
(d) Howard Marshall.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the reason given in the note for David's kidnapping?
2. How long has it been since David and Charles have eaten in Section 5?
3. After Charles congratulates David, of what animal does Charles begin to speak?
4. Who do Charles and David meet up with in Section 5?
5. What two things did Charles come to believe he was composed of?
Short Essay Questions
1. What makes Charles choose the name "Katsuk"?
2. What rituals does Katsuk undertake when he goes into the forest after his sister's death?
3. What do the events of Section 10 tell you about the relationship between Katsuk and David? How does Katsuk feel about this and why?
4. What is Katsuk's reaction to David's curse and the questions he asks about the duck feathers afterward?
5. In Section 3, what does the kidnapping note say?
6. What happens when David asks Charles why he has been kidnapped in Section 4?
7. As Katsuk grows more insane with each passing day, what happens to David's spirit, attitude, and personality as a result?
8. What risky move does David make that earns Katsuk's admiration?
9. Why is Katsuk angry at his people? What does he feel they should do?
10. Describe Katsuk's mood swings in Section 10. Are they different than in earlier sections? If so, how? What does this say about Katsuk and his decline into total madness?
This section contains 950 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)