|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With what act does Charles close out Section 5?
2. What gives David confidence when Charles leads him into the woods?
(a) A picture of his mother.
(b) His friendship with Charles.
(c) His knife.
(d) His crucifix.
3. What does Charles do when he finally gets cold?
(a) He takes David's clothes.
(b) He starts a fire.
(c) He steals the dead hiker's clothes.
(d) He covers himself in leaves.
4. What does the FBI agent believe Charles's state of mind to be?
5. Who do Charles and David meet up with in Section 5?
(a) David's father.
(b) A member of the search party.
(c) A sheriff's deputy.
(d) A group of hikers.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Charles leaves the forest, what does he believe will always remember him?
2. Where does Charles choose to rest in Section 4?
3. In Section 4, what does Charles tell David that mistakes will cause?
4. How many people make up the search party?
5. What is the alias of the kidnapper?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think Katsuk feels so bad about killing David after it is over? Why do you think he went through with the sacrifice in the first place?
2. To what does Charles compare Native American myth in one of his college anthropology papers? What do you think is his purpose in doing so?
3. Has David benefited from his kidnapping? If so, how? How might that help him in his current situation?
4. Why is Katsuk angry at his people? What does he feel they should do?
5. How does Katsuk rationalize David's loss of innocence to fit his agenda, and how does that make David feel about what took place with Tskanay?
6. What methods does David use in an effort to help guide the rescuers toward him?
7. The author uses a curious method of opening the story. Outline that method and what you think it does for the introduction?
8. Why does Katsuk feel the need to keep his hatred pure?
9. Outline Katsuk's fascination with the bee. What does he believe it is? What does he believe it can do?
10. How does Katsuk's discovery of David after such a promising escape attempt demoralize David? Do you think David has given up? Why or why not?
This section contains 898 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)