|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the voice tell Charles to do as he leaves the woods in Section 2?
(a) Find peace.
(b) Return to the university.
(c) Kill an innocent.
(d) Change his name.
2. What does David do that makes Charles run after him?
(a) Screams and waves at the helicopter.
(b) Begins to run down the mountain.
(c) Chases after hikers.
(d) Jumps into the river.
3. For what does Charles pray?
4. What is the name of the alleged kidnapper?
(a) Norman Hosbig.
(b) Tilman Barth.
(c) Charles Hobuhet.
(d) Howard Marshall.
5. What does David do to mark the passing days?
(a) Marks a tree with his initials.
(b) Scratches his arm.
(c) Makes a notch in his belt.
(d) Gathers pebbles.
6. What is Charles doing in Section 6 that makes David think he is crazy?
(a) Chants continuously.
(b) Prays to animals.
(c) Argues with himself.
(d) Talks to unheard voices.
7. What does Charles do in Section 3 when he sees what he believes to be an omen?
(a) He sings to the spirits.
(b) He builds a fire.
(c) He hides behind a bush.
(d) He runs home.
8. What is the meaning of the alias the kidnapper has chosen?
9. What does Charles carry with him on his trips into nature?
(a) A special prayer pouch.
(b) Herbs and relics.
10. What does David ask Charles when they first stop to rest?
(a) Why he has been kidnapped.
(b) What is going to happen.
(c) Where his parents are.
(d) Where they are going.
11. Charles feels he will become capable of doing a terrible and deadly thing if what occurs?
(a) The bee must sting him.
(b) He must transform.
(c) He must become one with nature.
(d) He must complete the ritual.
12. What does Charles leave with David when he goes to catch fish?
(a) The hiker's body.
(b) The knife.
(c) A piece of rope.
(d) The two-way radio.
13. What does Charles think about as he leads David into the woods?
(a) His sister.
(b) The running bear.
(c) How famous he will soon be.
(d) David's family.
14. In what industry is the kidnapped person's family?
(b) Real estate.
15. What state is the Marshall family from?
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the staff members at Charles's summer job call him?
2. What has David dropped on the rocks during the climb before he and Charles first stop to rest?
3. What is the translation of the word <i>katsuk</i>?
4. Why does Charles congratulate David in Section 4?
5. How does David feel when he awakens after he and Charles first stop to rest?
This section contains 443 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)