|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Cleaver want the prison system to provide?
2. What does Cleaver think people desire when they watch sports?
3. What did a man in San Quentin say Cleaver had in his eyes?
4. In which of the following areas does Cleaver say black men are accepted?
5. What does Cleaver say the encounter with his lawyer has done to him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Cleaver's encounter with a woman on Main Street.
2. Why is Beverly Axelrod attracted to Cleaver?
3. Why is Cleaver in love with his lawyer?
4. What does the fact that Cleaver has attained a cell in the Honor Block say about him?
5. Why does the prison guard tear down Cleaver's pin up poster?
6. How did Elijah Muhammed supporters react to Malcolm X's death?
7. Describe Cleaver's afternoon routine.
8. What are the prisoners' views on lawyers?
9. What is Cleaver's opinion on relationships?
10. What is Cleaver's opinion of his prison sentence?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Cleaver's time in prison.
1) What concessions did Cleaver have to make in prison to survive?
2) How did prison change Cleaver?
3) What kind of person do the students think Cleaver would have become if he had not gone to prison?
Essay Topic 2
How does Cleaver think society has been structured? How does this society keep people in their place? What do you think normal people have to do to make changes in this society?
Essay Topic 3
What problems does Cleaver have with James Baldwin? Why does Cleaver prefer Richard Wright? What influence did both authors have on 1960s culture and, in particular, the Negro revolution?
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)