|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the second Vignette called?
2. What does Cleaver say the white prisoners were anxious for following Malcolm X's assassination?
3. Who does Cleaver say he has renounced?
4. What white man's pastime does Cleaver say that Scott indulged in?
5. What did the guard say Cleaver could have up on his cell wall?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the relationship between whites and blacks in the prison?
2. What does the fact that Cleaver has attained a cell in the Honor Block say about him?
3. How did Elijah Muhammed supporters react to Malcolm X's death?
4. Why does Cleaver think Malcolm was such a magnetic personality?
5. Summarize the first vignette in this chapter.
6. Why did Cleaver become involved in the Catholic Church while in prison?
7. Why was Ali seen as such a threat to American society?
8. Why did Cleaver lose respect for James Baldwin?
9. Why does Cleaver think white youth is undergoing a dramatic change?
10. Why does the prison guard tear down Cleaver's pin up poster?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following people and outline his/her influence on Eldridge Cleaver 's life and ideas.
1) Malcom X
2) Beverly Axelrod
3) President Kennedy
Essay Topic 2
What is soul food? What position does soul food hold in today's society? What does Cleaver mean by saying the upper class made soul food into a mocking slogan?
Essay Topic 3
Outline Cleaver's prison routine. How do the students think this routine benefited Cleaver? How did Cleaver make the most of his days?
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)