|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Cleaver do at 7.30 am?
2. What Biblical figure does Cleaver talk about in this chapter?
3. Which Norman Mailer book does Cleaver mention in this chapter?
4. What was Cleaver doing when Malcolm X was killed?
5. To what does Cleaver liken the parting with a woman?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Cleaver say about the relationship between James Baldwin and Richard Wright?
2. What is Cleaver's opinion of his prison sentence?
3. What is punk hunting?
4. Why is Cleaver in love with his lawyer?
5. Why is Beverly Axelrod attracted to Cleaver?
6. Describe Cleaver's afternoon routine.
7. Why does Cleaver think the whites favored Floyd Patterson over Mohammed Ali?
8. What are the four stages of white youth rebellion?
9. What is Cleaver's opinion on relationships?
10. What is Cleaver's opinion of women while he is in prison?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss with the students first person point of view. Why do the students think first person point of view is not necessarily reliable? What moments in the book do the students think are not so reliable and why? With the students discuss the advantages and disadvantages of using the first person.
Essay Topic 2
Why does Cleaver think there is a need for police and military? Did he think rioters had any other choice other than to attack the police and military? Was the attack on the police in particular an example of the American blacks' disorganization?
Essay Topic 3
Examine Cleaver's time in prison.
1) What concessions did Cleaver have to make in prison to survive?
2) How did prison change Cleaver?
3) What kind of person do the students think Cleaver would have become if he had not gone to prison?
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)