|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Cleaver's lawyer give him that resulted in Cleaver spending time in solitary confinement?
2. What did Robeson speak out for?
3. Which two boxers does Cleaver talk about in this section?
4. What is the name of Cleaver's block?
5. What did a man in San Quentin say Cleaver had in his eyes?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Ali seen as such a threat to American society?
2. Why does Cleaver think the whites favored Floyd Patterson over Mohammed Ali?
3. How has Malcolm X changed Cleaver's view of racial difficulties?
4. Why does the prison guard tear down Cleaver's pin up poster?
5. What are the prisoners' views on lawyers?
6. Why did Cleaver become involved in the Catholic Church while in prison?
7. Describe Cleaver's morning routine while in prison.
8. Summarize the chapter.
9. What is Cleaver's opinion of his prison sentence?
10. What is Yacub's history?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a 500-word essay that answers the following question: In what way could President Kennedy's death be seen as a help to the civil rights movement rather than a hindrance?
Essay Topic 2
Outline Cleaver's prison routine. How do the students think this routine benefited Cleaver? How did Cleaver make the most of his days?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the values of the 1960s.
1) Why did Afro-American politics come to the fore during this time ?
2) What significant changes do you think occurred during this period?
3) Does today's society share any values with 1960s America?
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)