|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Stevenson do after hearing that her husband will not be home that evening right before she makes a call to the operator again?
2. What is Duffy's attitude as he listens to Mrs. Stevenson explain what she wants?
3. What does Duffy do while Mrs. Stevenson talks and explains about the call she overheard?
4. How does Mrs. Stevenson describe her maid's weight?
5. How does Mrs. Stevenson's husband address her in the telegram he sends?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the delivery boy tell Duffy he brought him, and why is Duffy frustrated with what the delivery boy brought?
2. After speaking with Western Union, what sound can be heard outside and what does Mrs. Stevenson do?
3. What does Mrs. Stevenson say to the Chief Operator right before she hangs up in Act I, Part 3?
4. At the beginning of Act I, Part 4, what does Mrs. Stevenson say and do after getting a busy signal on her husband's number again?
5. What does Duffy tell Mrs. Stevenson when she says that the murder could take place in her neighborhood?
6. Who is the telegram from that Mrs. Stevenson receives, and what does it say?
7. What does Duffy say about murders in the city?
8. What does Mrs. Stevenson say about her maid?
9. How does Duffy suggest that Mrs. Stevenson view the matter?
10. What does Mrs. Stevenson tell Duffy about her situation after he takes her name and address?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Language used in a play might include dialects, slang, accents, colloquial language, or something else. How would you describe the type of language used in the play and how it contributes to the story and defines characters? In what way does the language affect the plot and flow of the story?
Essay Topic 2
Mrs. Stevenson is the most developed character in the play. How do readers learn about the type of woman Mrs. Stevenson is? How is her character developed? What is learned about her character and the type of person she is?
Essay Topic 3
Mrs. Stevenson and Sergeant Duffy seem to be at cross purposes when they speak on the phone. How invested are Mrs. Stevenson and Sergeant Duffy in the conversation they are having? In what way are the two at cross purposes as they converse? How does that affect the results Mrs. Stevenson is trying to achieve?
This section contains 938 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)