|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Duffy do when he learns a murder has not yet been committed?
2. What does Mrs. Stevenson call Duffy after she hangs up?
3. What does the lunch counter attendant bring Duffy while he is speaking to Mrs. Stevenson?
4. How does Mrs. Stevenson hang up the phone after the man who calls her in Act I, Part 4, hangs up?
5. What sound can be heard as Mrs. Stevenson picks up the phone to call again at the end of Act I, Part III?
Short Essay Questions
1. As Duffy opens his coffee container, what does Mrs. Stevenson tell him that he should do?
2. What does Mrs. Stevenson tell Duffy about her situation after he takes her name and address?
3. How does Mrs. Stevenson react after hearing the telegram her husband sent?
4. After speaking with Western Union, what sound can be heard outside and what does Mrs. Stevenson do?
5. What does Mrs. Stevenson to do after trying her husband's office number again at the end of Act I, Part 4?
6. What does Mrs. Stevenson say to the Chief Operator right before she hangs up in Act I, Part 3?
7. What does Mrs. Stevenson say about her daily schedule?
8. At the beginning of Act I, Part 4, what does Mrs. Stevenson say and do after getting a busy signal on her husband's number again?
9. What does Mrs. Stevenson say about her maid?
10. What does Mrs. Stevenson do after ending her call with Duffy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Anticipation of what will happen builds as the play proceeds. How does the author use suspense to build tension in the play? What is the purpose and use of suspense and how does it engage readers?
Essay Topic 2
There are internal and external conflicts in the play. What are the main conflicts in the play? Are most of the conflicts internal or external? How are conflicts developed? How are those conflicts resolved?
Essay Topic 3
Language used in a play might include dialects, slang, accents, colloquial language, or something else. How would you describe the type of language used in the play and how it contributes to the story and defines characters? In what way does the language affect the plot and flow of the story?
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)