|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Duffy begin to do as Mrs. Stevenson says that she heard the plans of the men distinctly?
2. What is Mrs. Stevenson's maid too lazy to do?
3. What is the prefix for Mrs. Stevenson's phone number?
4. In Act I, Part 4, how long does Mrs. Stevenson learn that her husband has tried calling her?
5. What time does Mr. Stevenson say in the telegram that he is leaving?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the scene described where Duffy is sitting?
2. How does the call end with the Western Union messenger?
3. What does Duffy say about murders in the city?
4. What does the delivery boy tell Duffy he brought him, and why is Duffy frustrated with what the delivery boy brought?
5. As Duffy opens his coffee container, what does Mrs. Stevenson tell him that he should do?
6. As Duffy tries to end the call with Mrs. Stevenson, what does she ask him to do?
7. What does Mrs. Stevenson to do after trying her husband's office number again at the end of Act I, Part 4?
8. What does Mrs. Stevenson say and do after the operator tells her that she cannot put through the calls that Mrs. Stevenson missed?
9. What does Duffy tell Mrs. Stevenson when she says that the murder could take place in her neighborhood?
10. What does Mrs. Stevenson do after ending her call with Duffy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mrs. Stevenson and Sergeant Duffy seem to be at cross purposes when they speak on the phone. How invested are Mrs. Stevenson and Sergeant Duffy in the conversation they are having? In what way are the two at cross purposes as they converse? How does that affect the results Mrs. Stevenson is trying to achieve?
Essay Topic 2
There are internal and external conflicts in the play. What are the main conflicts in the play? Are most of the conflicts internal or external? How are conflicts developed? How are those conflicts resolved?
Essay Topic 3
Mrs. Stevenson is the most developed character in the play. How do readers learn about the type of woman Mrs. Stevenson is? How is her character developed? What is learned about her character and the type of person she is?
This section contains 874 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)