|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the private patrolman go when the leaves the neighborhood in Act I, Part 1?
2. Who is with Sergeant Duffy in Act 1, Part 2?
3. What is Mrs. Stevenson wearing?
4. What part of the stage is lit as the curtain rises?
5. What is the name of the Chief Operator?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mrs. Stevenson say about the call she overheard and whether it is still continuing?
2. What does Mrs. Stevenson tell the operator when she reaches her in Act I, Part 1?
3. How does the operator get the attention of the Chief Operator?
4. What does Mrs. Stevenson say as the operator tries the number in Act I, Part 1?
5. What instructions does the 1st Man give George about lights at the house?
6. How is George described?
7. How does Ms. Stevenson respond when the operator tells her in Act I, Part 2, that the number is busy?
8. How does Mrs. Stevenson respond when George and the 1st Man begin talking in Act I, Part 1?
9. What is George to do after killing the woman?
10. How does Mrs. Stevenson react when the operator says she will dial Murray Hill 4-0098?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are internal and external conflicts in the play. What are the main conflicts in the play? Are most of the conflicts internal or external? How are conflicts developed? How are those conflicts resolved?
Essay Topic 2
The play was written in 1943. The plot of play is dependent upon how telephone calls were made in that time period. What elements of the play might be difficult for readers to understand? What elements are universal to all time periods? How does the fact that the play was written in 1943 affect readers and their understanding of the play?
Essay Topic 3
Plays can be classified according to a few different types of genres. Based upon the storyline and how readers feel as they read, what is the genre of the play and why would that be the genre rather than something else?
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)