|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is with Sergeant Duffy in Act 1, Part 2?
2. What is Mrs. Stevenson's phone number?
3. How is Mrs. Stevenson described as she calls the operator after hearing the conversation between George and the 1st Man in Act I, Part 1?
4. What is Mrs. Stevenson's husband's name?
5. What word does Mrs. Stevenson use to describe the fact that the Chief Operator will not trace the call?
Short Essay Questions
1. What time is George to go to the house and kill the woman and why at that time?
2. What is Mrs. Stevenson doing as the curtain rises in Act I, Part 1?
3. What instructions does the 1st Man give George about lights at the house?
4. Why is George to wait until 11:15 to kill the woman?
5. How does Mrs. Stevenson react when the operator says she will dial Murray Hill 4-0098?
6. How does Ms. Stevenson respond when the operator tells her in Act I, Part 2, that the number is busy?
7. What instructions is George given for the actual murder?
8. What does Mrs. Stevenson tell the operator when she reaches her in Act I, Part 1?
9. What happens when the operator dials the number Mrs. Stevenson has been trying to reach in Act I, Part 1?
10. How is the Chief Operator described and what is she wearing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are internal and external conflicts in the play. What are the main conflicts in the play? Are most of the conflicts internal or external? How are conflicts developed? How are those conflicts resolved?
Essay Topic 2
Mrs. Stevenson and Sergeant Duffy seem to be at cross purposes when they speak on the phone. How invested are Mrs. Stevenson and Sergeant Duffy in the conversation they are having? In what way are the two at cross purposes as they converse? How does that affect the results Mrs. Stevenson is trying to achieve?
Essay Topic 3
At first, Mrs. Stevenson is just concerned that someone is going to be murdered. What conversation does Mrs. Stevenson have that puts the idea in her head that she might be the intended victim? Has that thought crossed her mind before? What type of reasoning does Mrs Stevenson use to determine that she is going to be the victim?
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)