|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What line does the operator want the Chief Operator to pick up in Act I, Part 2?
2. What does George plan to use to commit the murder?
3. What does Mrs. Stevenson look at as she gives the Chief Operator her phone number in Act I, Part 2?
4. What number is Mrs. Stevenson dialing as the play begins?
5. How many times does the phone ring before someone at the Police Department picks it up in Act 1, Part 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when the operator dials the number Mrs. Stevenson has been trying to reach in Act I, Part 1?
2. What does Mrs. Stevenson's bedroom look like?
3. What does Mrs. Stevenson say about the call she overheard and whether it is still continuing?
4. How is the Chief Operator described and what is she wearing?
5. How is George described?
6. What does Mrs. Stevenson say as the operator tries the number in Act I, Part 1?
7. How does the operator get the attention of the Chief Operator?
8. What instructions is George given for the actual murder?
9. What is George to do after killing the woman?
10. What does the operator tell the Chief Operator is the problem?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At first, Mrs. Stevenson is just concerned that someone is going to be murdered. What conversation does Mrs. Stevenson have that puts the idea in her head that she might be the intended victim? Has that thought crossed her mind before? What type of reasoning does Mrs Stevenson use to determine that she is going to be the victim?
Essay Topic 2
Plays can be classified according to a few different types of genres. Based upon the storyline and how readers feel as they read, what is the genre of the play and why would that be the genre rather than something else?
Essay Topic 3
In the novel, Mrs. Stevenson is more thoroughly described than others. Who are some characters that are merely named in passing or have a minor role in the novel? What is the importance of these flat characters to the story line? In what way do these characters make the main character more colorful or interesting? When there is conflict, what type of role do these flat characters play?
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)