|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many murders does Duffy say are committed in the city every day?
(b) A lot.
2. What does Duffy do when he learns a murder has not yet been committed?
(a) Grips phone tightly.
(b) Gets up and paces.
(c) Relaxes, sighs, and takes lunch from bag.
(d) Motions for another officer to come in the room.
3. What does Mrs. Stevenson think the police should do?
(a) Search the entire city.
(b) Station extra patrolmen on her street.
(c) Call the telephone company.
(d) Come to her house.
4. What does Mrs. Stevenson say after hearing the telegram her husband sent?
(a) I am so scared.
(b) No, no, no.
(c) What will I do.
(d) Oh no.
5. What does Duffy do after Mrs. Stevenson says that the call cannot be traced if the parties are no longer talking?
(a) Finish his lunch.
(b) Doodle on his pad.
(c) Cough slightly.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mrs. Stevenson respond at the beginning of Act I, Part 4, when the operator tells her her husband's number is busy?
2. What operator does Mrs. Stevenson dial when making a second phone call after she receives the telegram?
3. What does Duffy begin to do as Mrs. Stevenson says that she heard the plans of the men distinctly?
4. What does the lunch counter attendant bring Duffy while he is speaking to Mrs. Stevenson?
5. How does the Third Operator tell Mrs. Stevenson that she cannot put through the call that Mrs. Stevenson missed?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the beginning of Act I, Part 4, what does Mrs. Stevenson say and do after getting a busy signal on her husband's number again?
2. What does Mrs. Stevenson say and do after the operator tells her that she cannot put through the calls that Mrs. Stevenson missed?
3. As Duffy opens his coffee container, what does Mrs. Stevenson tell him that he should do?
4. What does Mrs. Stevenson say to the Chief Operator right before she hangs up in Act I, Part 3?
5. What does Duffy tell Mrs. Stevenson when she says that the murder could take place in her neighborhood?
6. Who calls Mrs. Stevenson after she finishes speaking with the Third Operator?
7. Why does the operator tell Mrs. Stevenson that she cannot put through the missed calls Mrs. Stevenson received?
8. What does Mrs. Stevenson to do after trying her husband's office number again at the end of Act I, Part 4?
9. How does the call end with the Western Union messenger?
10. What does Mrs. Stevenson do after ending her call with Duffy?
This section contains 925 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)