|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What sound does Mrs. Stevenson make after she is told her husband's number is busy?
(b) Small scream.
(d) Short cry.
2. What is the man wearing who calls Mrs. Stevenson in Act I, Part 4?
(b) Sports jacket and slacks.
(c) Ball cap and t-shirt.
(d) Eye-shade and shirtsleeves.
3. What does Mrs. Stevenson decide she is when she decides to make a second call after she heard the telegram read?
4. What does Duffy begin to do as Mrs. Stevenson says that she heard the plans of the men distinctly?
(a) Walk around his desk.
(b) Eat his dessert.
(c) Eat his sandwich.
(d) Look out the window.
5. What does Mrs. Stevenson say when Duffy tells her that if she had not heard the call she would not be worried?
(a) It is frightening.
(b) It is horrible.
(c) It is inhuman.
(d) It is terrifying.
6. What time does Mr. Stevenson say in the telegram that he is leaving?
(a) 9 p.m.
(b) 10:30 p.m.
(c) 11 p.m.
(d) 10 p.m.
7. After listening to the telegram, what does Mrs. Stevenson say after the operator tells her that there is no answer at her husband's office?
(a) Elbert, how could you.
(b) Surely he is still there.
(c) He has to answer.
(d) He cannot be gone.
8. What does Duffy do after Mrs. Stevenson says that the call cannot be traced if the parties are no longer talking?
(a) Finish his lunch.
(b) Doodle on his pad.
(c) Cough slightly.
9. What does Mrs. Stevenson call Duffy after she hangs up?
10. What tone does Duffy use when he tells Mrs. Stevenson that the police will take care of the matter?
11. What is the name of Mrs. Stevenson's maid?
12. What operator does Mrs. Stevenson dial when making a second phone call after she receives the telegram?
(b) Long distance.
13. How does the Third Operator tell Mrs. Stevenson that she cannot put through the call that Mrs. Stevenson missed?
14. What does Duffy do when he learns a murder has not yet been committed?
(a) Relaxes, sighs, and takes lunch from bag.
(b) Grips phone tightly.
(c) Motions for another officer to come in the room.
(d) Gets up and paces.
15. Where does the telegram state that Mrs. Stevenson's husband is going?
Short Answer Questions
1. When making a second call after receiving the telegram, how does Mrs. Stevenson lift the receiver?
2. What is Duffy's attitude as he listens to Mrs. Stevenson explain what she wants?
3. How many murders does Duffy say are committed in the city every day?
4. What does Mrs. Stevenson say after hearing the telegram her husband sent?
5. What is Mrs. Stevenson's attitude when she tells Duffy that he needs to do more than check the call?
This section contains 485 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)