|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Duffy do after Mrs. Stevenson says that the call cannot be traced if the parties are no longer talking?
(b) Cough slightly.
(c) Doodle on his pad.
(d) Finish his lunch.
2. Where does the lunch counter attendant have a fork?
(a) In a bowl.
(b) In his pocket.
(c) On a plate.
(d) In a bag.
3. What is the prefix for Mrs. Stevenson's phone number?
(c) Murray Hill.
4. In Act I, Part 4, how long does Mrs. Stevenson learn that her husband has tried calling her?
(a) 30 minutes.
(b) An hour.
(c) 45 minutes.
(d) About an hour and a half.
5. Where does the man work who calls Mrs. Stevenson in Act I, Part 4?
(a) Police station.
(b) Western Union.
(c) Her husband's office.
(d) An accounting office.
6. What does the lunch counter attendant bring Duffy while he is speaking to Mrs. Stevenson?
(a) Apple pie.
(b) Cherry turnovers.
(c) Blueberry turnovers.
(d) Blueberry pie.
7. What does Duffy do when he learns a murder has not yet been committed?
(a) Grips phone tightly.
(b) Motions for another officer to come in the room.
(c) Gets up and paces.
(d) Relaxes, sighs, and takes lunch from bag.
8. What time is it as Duffy tries to end the call with Mrs. Stevenson?
(b) About half past 10.
(d) Nearly 11.
9. What does Mrs. Stevenson say when Duffy tells her that if she had not heard the call she would not be worried?
(a) It is terrifying.
(b) It is horrible.
(c) It is inhuman.
(d) It is frightening.
10. What does Duffy begin to do as Mrs. Stevenson says that she heard the plans of the men distinctly?
(a) Eat his dessert.
(b) Walk around his desk.
(c) Look out the window.
(d) Eat his sandwich.
11. What bridge is Mrs. Stevenson's house near?
12. How does Mrs. Stevenson respond at the beginning of Act I, Part 4, when the operator tells her her husband's number is busy?
13. What is the man wearing who calls Mrs. Stevenson in Act I, Part 4?
(b) Sports jacket and slacks.
(c) Ball cap and t-shirt.
(d) Eye-shade and shirtsleeves.
14. What does Duffy do while Mrs. Stevenson talks and explains about the call she overheard?
(a) Does some paperwork.
(b) Pays the attendant.
(c) Twirls the cord of the phone.
(d) Doodles on a pad of paper.
15. How does Mrs. Stevenson hang up the phone after the man who calls her in Act I, Part 4, hangs up?
(a) Slams the receiver.
(d) Bangs the receiver.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the Third Operator like?
2. What time does Mr. Stevenson say in the telegram that he is leaving?
3. How many murders does Duffy say are committed in the city every day?
4. What does Mrs. Stevenson say after hearing the telegram her husband sent?
5. What tone does Duffy use when he tells Mrs. Stevenson that the police will take care of the matter?
This section contains 484 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)