Act I, Part 1
• When the play begins, the stage is divided into three areas.
• The center section is the only one that is lit.
• It is Mrs. Stevenson’s bedroom, which has a bed, a phone, a nightstand, pill bottles, a mantel and a clock.
• Mrs. Stevenson is a cranky, neurotic woman, who is trying to dial a phone number.
• She puts down the phone as a train is heard in the background.
• She attempts her call again, and when she cannot reach her party, she dials the operator and asks her to try the number for her.
• Mrs. Stevenson tells the operator that she is trying to call Murray Hill 4-0098 and has been dialing that number for about 45 minutes.
• She tells the operator that it is the number for her husband’s office and that he is working late.
• The operator dials the number for her...
This section contains 1,148 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)