|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Kant explain the place of faith in people's lives?
2. Simone de Beauvoir in her book "The Second Sex" states that women can choose an identity that is what?
3. Where does "Sophie's World" exist?
4. After philosophers who are rationalists, what is the shift toward?
5. Why does the point of view switch to Hilde?
Short Essay Questions
1. Freud analyzes dreams. What sort of dreams do people analyze today? Why would people want to analyze their dreams?
2. Kant looked at the individual's perception as most important. How is this theory applicable to Sophie?
3. Why does Hilde get angry when her father orders her to finish the book before his return?
4. Why does Sophie become shocked when she sees "Sophie's World" on a bookshelf?
5. How does Freud relate to the theme "bravery" of this novel?
6. English philosophers think that Man is like a blank blackboard and ready to take in data collected by the senses. Does this apply to Sophie's philosophical lessons? How?
7. Do you think the Major and Hilde are characters within a book, like a dream within a dream within a dream? Why?
8. Do you agree with Hegel that philosophers should be mirrors that reflect ideas of their time? Why?
9. What examples of natural selection do you know of?
10. What is the importance of the party becoming the theater of the absurd?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is HIlde's life changed from studying philosophy? Why did her father want her to study these philosophers and their theories? What groundwork does it provide her in life?
Essay Topic 2
Did Sophie succeed in her philosophy course? What was her goal or expectation as she began it? Was it possible for her to succeed?
Essay Topic 3
The overlap of philosophy and religion in the book is a common debate in our culture. How great is the overlap in the book? Does Sophie react to this debate? Is her reaction realistic? Why?
1) Include at least three solid examples to explain how these topics overlap.
2) Comment on Sophie's reaction to this overlap. Is her reaction to the specific examples realistic?
This section contains 930 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)