|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Sophie first tries to find her philosopher, how does Sophie's philosopher avoid her seeing him?
2. How old is Sophie when the novel opens?
3. What do the Arabs develop in the 1200s?
4. What do the Epicureans believe?
5. What does Parmenides believe?
Short Essay Questions
1. Socrates could have escaped death through exile, but refused. What does this act say about his character?
2. Why were ancient people angry when they spoke to Socrates and he claimed not to know anything?
3. Are the postcard that is addressed to Hilde, and Alberto's decision to teach Sophie in person, connected? Why?
4. When Sophie sees the large board with the word "Hilde" on it, does this foreshadow who "Hilde' is?
5. What are some of the increasingly odd connections between Sophie and HIlde? What do they mean?
6. Do people today, as the Greeks did, believe in fate or predestination? What are examples?
7. What is an example of the Indo-European view of history concerning cycles of history that start over again?
8. Why would Hermes growl at Sophie when she follows him? Is this characteristic of a dog? Why?
9. Is Sophie's mother's reaction to her daughter's studies and new attitude realistic? Why?
10. Why does Sophie decide to go into a stranger's cabin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Look at the chapter titles. The first title is "The Garden of Eden." Why would Gaarder begin his novel this way? Some of the titles are simplistic, such as the names of philosophers. Others have more meaning. Analyze these titles and relate them to the deeper meaning presented in the corresponding chapter.
Essay Topic 2
As the story continues, Sophie and even Hilde recognize they are substitutes or symbols for each other.
1) Examine some of the similarities between the Sophie and Hilde, and between Alberto Knox and Albert Knag. Look at more than just the appearances by including their attitudes and thoughts.
2) Did the Major model Sophie after Hilde? Support your answer with evidence from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Evaluate all of the narrators. Which narrator do you prefer? Why?
This section contains 851 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)