|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Alberto dressed when Sophie meets him at the church?
2. After Sophie's Renaissance lesson, where does she find her bus fare?
3. What does Sophie's mother think of the letters she receives?
4. What does Descartes' philosophy ask?
5. What does Sophie's dad do for a living?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Sophie sees another girl in mirror who winks back at her with both eyes, what does this foreshadow?
2. What are some of the increasingly odd connections between Sophie and HIlde? What do they mean?
3. Characterize Sophie's religion teacher when she questioned Sophie's answers on a test.
4. Why would Hermes growl at Sophie when she follows him? Is this characteristic of a dog? Why?
5. What is an example of the Indo-European view of history concerning cycles of history that start over again?
6. Why does Alberto dress in costume to reflect his teachings? Does this enhance his lessons?
7. Socrates could have escaped death through exile, but refused. What does this act say about his character?
8. How are Hilde and the Major connected to Sophie, as known by Chapter 13? Why?
9. Why were ancient people angry when they spoke to Socrates and he claimed not to know anything?
10. Why does Sophie decide to go into a stranger's cabin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Look at the cartoon and imaginary characters throughout the book. What role do they play? How are they connected to the chapters and philosophies they are mentioned in? Is their inclusion an effective technique?
Essay Topic 2
Now that the book is completed, look back at the characters. Were they all believable from the beginning? Would you think differently of them now? Analyze how realistic and believable these characters are.
Essay Topic 3
Characterize Major Knag. Look at his name--does the play on his name have significance? How do Hilde and Alberto indirectly characterize him? How is he directly characterized?
This section contains 803 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)