|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Hilde's birthday present from her father?
(a) A diamond necklace.
(b) A ring binder with the typed text of a book.
(c) An ivory jewelry box.
(d) Embroidered scarves.
2. What information does Hilde find in the encyclopedia about George Berkeley?
(a) Berkeley never taught philosophy.
(b) Berkeley doubts the truthfulness of early Gods.
(c) Berkeley denies the existence of a material world beyond the human mind.
(d) Berkeley wishes humans could behave more like their Creator.
3. What does Hume say people's feelings are not based on?
4. What does the devil say about Faust's life?
(a) Faust lived as he wanted.
(b) Faust didn't live fully.
(c) It was totally meaningless.
(d) It was just as God planned.
5. How does Hilde feel about Alberto and Hilde trying to escape?
(a) She wants to stop them.
(b) She wants to aid them.
(c) She is angry and furious.
(d) She is unconcerned.
Short Answer Questions
1. After philosophers who are rationalists, what is the shift toward?
2. What is Darwin's theory that is included in "the Origin of the Species"?
3. Where does Berkeley think all of our ideas originate?
4. What is the role of a philosopher, according to Hegel?
5. What book does Alberto buy for Sophie?
Short Essay Questions
1. Sartre believes that freedom is a sort of curse, because freedom forces Man to make choices without guidelines. Is this applicable to Sophie's life? How?
2. What is the importance of the party becoming the theater of the absurd?
3. Why do the Ingebrightsens become upset with Alberto's speech?
4. Do you think the Major and Hilde are characters within a book, like a dream within a dream within a dream? Why?
5. English philosophers think that Man is like a blank blackboard and ready to take in data collected by the senses. Does this apply to Sophie's philosophical lessons? How?
6. What is the author's tone toward Sophie and her mother in the Berkley chapter? Why?
7. Were you confused by Darwin's theory at all? Explain how you were or weren't.
8. Marx saw problems where workers did not control their workspaces. Is this true today, or is it only applicable during Marx's time? Can you think of an example?
9. Why is it ironic that Sophie thinks Berkeley's theory is stupid?
10. How does Hilde regard Sophie in the Bjerkely chapter? Why does she feel this way?
This section contains 932 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)