|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Sophie do with the physical philosophy lessons?
(a) Arranges the pages in a ring binder.
(b) Files them in her dresser.
(c) Buries them in her den.
(d) Burns them.
2. What does the note say inside Sophie's first envelope?
(a) Where do you belong?
(b) Who are you?
(c) What are you doing?
(d) What is here?
3. Whose letter comes to Sophie's house?
(a) Hilde's father's.
(b) The cat's.
(c) Her religious teacher's.
4. Sophie dreams about Hilde's golden crucifix and then wakes to be startled by what?
(a) Joanna's board game on her bed.
(b) Hilde's crucifix under her pillow.
(c) Hermes standing over her.
(d) Alberto in his dress.
5. What does Anaximenes believe that everything comes from ?
Short Answer Questions
1. What describes Thomas Hobbes' philosophy?
2. What comprises Sophie's myth?
3. What do the Epicureans believe?
4. What guise does Sophie arrange so she can meet Alberto in person?
5. When Sophie's mother sees her playing with Legos, what does Sophie tell her mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. Sophie recalls that time is different for the Major and HIlde, than for Sophie and Alberto. How would this exist?
2. How are Hilde and the Major connected to Sophie, as known by Chapter 13? Why?
3. Socrates could have escaped death through exile, but refused. What does this act say about his character?
4. Why does Alberto dress in costume to reflect his teachings? Does this enhance his lessons?
5. Are the postcard that is addressed to Hilde, and Alberto's decision to teach Sophie in person, connected? Why?
6. What did Sophie learn from working with Legos in connection to Democritus?
7. What is Sophie's den symbolic of? How?
8. Why would ancient people make up such elaborate stories to explain how their world works?
9. Why is it important that Sophie designed her own myth?
10. Holberg's play poses the question 'How does a person know which is reality and which is a dream'? What does this foreshadow in relation to Sophie?
This section contains 857 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)