|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the Epicureans believe?
(a) In forgiveness and volunteerism.
(b) In seeking pleasure and avoiding pain.
(c) In working hard and avoiding trouble.
(d) In material possessions.
2. What is Spinoza's philosophy?
(a) The philosopher need only go where he can help.
(b) The philosopher and the student are of equal standing.
(c) The philosopher must die a martyr.
(d) The philosopher is part of the whole universe and all time.
3. When Sophie confides in Alberto about her discovery after her dream, how does Alberto react?
(a) He says it is a cheap trick.
(b) He slams a door.
(c) He says nothing.
(d) He cries.
4. Why does Alberto begin teaching Sophie in person?
(a) He needs to travel with her.
(b) Hilde's father is coming.
(c) The lessons become more complicated.
(d) He is tired of writing her lessons.
5. What do the Arabs develop in the 1200s?
(a) Early recording systems.
(d) Moving pictures.
Short Answer Questions
1. In continuing her search for the philosopher, what path does Sophie take?
2. What is 'Plato's Dialogues'?
3. Who are the Sophists?
4. What lesson with the topic of Plato and Socrates is presented?
5. How does Sophie feel toward drug use?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why would Hermes growl at Sophie when she follows him? Is this characteristic of a dog? Why?
2. Socrates could have escaped death through exile, but refused. What does this act say about his character?
3. What is Sophie's den symbolic of? How?
4. When Sophie sees the large board with the word "Hilde" on it, does this foreshadow who "Hilde' is?
5. What are some of the increasingly odd connections between Sophie and HIlde? What do they mean?
6. Holberg's play poses the question 'How does a person know which is reality and which is a dream'? What does this foreshadow in relation to Sophie?
7. How are Hilde and the Major connected to Sophie, as known by Chapter 13? Why?
8. When Sophie sees another girl in mirror who winks back at her with both eyes, what does this foreshadow?
9. What would be an example of Parmenides' beliefs in Sophie's life?
10. Are the postcard that is addressed to Hilde, and Alberto's decision to teach Sophie in person, connected? Why?
This section contains 876 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)