|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Alice bring Sophie during the Kierkegaard lesson?
(a) A cake.
(b) A drink.
2. What does Hilde's mother admit to Hilde concerning a belonging?
(a) She told the Major about Hilde's missing crucifix.
(b) She moved the scarf into a different room.
(c) She took the crucifix to trick Hilde.
(d) She removed the mirror from the house.
3. As the garden party ends, what do Sophie and Alberto do?
(a) Drive to the Cathedral.
(b) Get a boat.
(c) Run to the cabin.
(d) Find the ringed binder.
4. As the Major travels home, what sign does he read?
(a) "Where did you put Sophie?"
(b) "I can see you, Dad!"
(c) "I wish you would come home."
(d) "Why did you hurt my feelings?"
5. What is Hilde's birthday present from her father?
(a) An ivory jewelry box.
(b) Embroidered scarves.
(c) A diamond necklace.
(d) A ring binder with the typed text of a book.
6. What angers Hilde concerning the passage, "We are a living planet, Sophie"?
(a) Sophie monopolizes her father's time.
(b) The Major first said that to Hilde.
(c) Hilde disagrees with the passage.
(d) Hilde originally said that quote.
7. Simone de Beauvoir in her book "The Second Sex" states that women can choose an identity that is what?
(a) Not as restrictive as her mother's.
(b) Based on her education.
(c) Free from the trends of tradition.
(d) More like a man's.
8. What is in the Major's first envelope from Hilde?
(a) A message from Sophie.
(b) A note concerning the Mercedes.
(c) A picture of her mirror.
9. What comes out of the lake by the Major's cabin during Sophie's lesson on the Enlightenment period?
(a) A mermaid.
(b) A sea serpent.
(c) A cyclops.
(d) An octopus.
10. What is the little Match Girl like?
(a) A democrat.
(b) A communist.
(c) A transcendentalist.
(d) A socialist.
11. What is the conflict of Marx's day?
(a) Children against parents.
(b) Workers against factory owners.
(c) Religious leaders against citizens.
(d) Russia against the world.
12. What information does Hilde find in the encyclopedia about George Berkeley?
(a) Berkeley denies the existence of a material world beyond the human mind.
(b) Berkeley doubts the truthfulness of early Gods.
(c) Berkeley wishes humans could behave more like their Creator.
(d) Berkeley never taught philosophy.
13. For what are Alberto and Sophie going to use practical reason?
(a) To trick Hilde.
(b) To meet the Philosophers.
(c) To escape.
(d) To earn money.
14. After philosophers who are rationalists, what is the shift toward?
15. Where does Berkeley think all of our ideas originate?
(a) Everything comes from God.
(b) Traditions and customs.
(c) Parents and elders.
(d) Our political leaders.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Hilde looks in the brass mirror, what does she see?
2. What are Sophie and Alberto's lives like after their adventures in the binder end?
3. What does Hegel describe as progress?
4. What book does Alberto buy for Sophie?
5. What does Kant concern himself with?
This section contains 565 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)