|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hilde's father order her to do?
(a) Join the Transcendentalist club.
(b) Date Jeremy.
(c) Finish the book.
(d) Go to school.
2. What information does Hilde find in the encyclopedia about George Berkeley?
(a) Berkeley wishes humans could behave more like their Creator.
(b) Berkeley never taught philosophy.
(c) Berkeley doubts the truthfulness of early Gods.
(d) Berkeley denies the existence of a material world beyond the human mind.
3. How does Sophie feel about Berkeley's theory?
(a) She finds it mystifying.
(b) That it is stupid.
(c) She adopts it as her own.
4. Why does Sophie become anxious while waiting for Alberto at a French cafe?
(a) Alberto is 20 minutes late.
(b) Sophie doesn't have any money.
(c) Sophie fears the Major took Alberto away.
(d) Alberto threatened to run away.
5. When Darwin begins his studies, how is he best described?
(a) A neurotic scientist.
(b) A Semite.
(c) A romantic.
(d) A practical naturalist.
6. After Sophie's lesson on Berkeley, whom does she run into on her way home?
(a) Her mother.
(b) The Major.
7. What does Kant see as a key part of man's sense perceptions?
(a) Food and sunlight.
(b) Traditions and knowledge.
(c) Origin and development.
(d) Time and space.
8. What comes out of the lake by the Major's cabin during Sophie's lesson on the Enlightenment period?
(a) A mermaid.
(b) A cyclops.
(c) A sea serpent.
(d) An octopus.
9. What does Aladdin bring when he visits Alberto and Sophie?
(a) His genie.
(b) His wand and potion.
(c) A pitchfork and saw.
(d) A pot of gold.
10. What does Alberto tell Sophie concerning new philosophers?
(a) He is unfamiliar with them and can't teach them.
(b) They are more advanced than previous philosophers.
(c) They are totally useless.
(d) Readers must struggle to find their deeper meanings.
11. What do Joanna and Jeremy do at the garden party?
(a) Steal Sophie's Barbie doll.
(b) Kiss passionately.
(c) Drive away.
(d) Wreck the Corvette.
12. How does Alberto plan to escape the Major's story?
(a) Between the lines of the book.
(b) By leaving Sophie behind.
(c) With bribery and trickery.
(d) Alberto abandons this idea.
13. What does Kierkegaard's philosophy emphasize?
14. What does Hilde agree with Alberto about concerning her father's treatment of the characters?
(a) His career takes precedence over everything.
(b) He is too manipulating.
(c) His demeanor is snobbish.
(d) He is dangerous.
15. Where are Sophie and Alberto after their adventures in the binder end?
(b) South Africa.
(c) Somewhere in Oslo.
(d) In a bookstore.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Berkeley's theory toward perceptions?
2. What does Hilde think of Sophie and Alberto?
3. What is practical reason, according to Kant?
4. Where does Hume believe human ethics come from?
5. Why is it funny that Mrs. Ingebrigtsen gives Sophie a Barbie doll?
This section contains 528 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)