|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the devil say about Faust's life?
(a) Faust didn't live fully.
(b) Faust lived as he wanted.
(c) It was totally meaningless.
(d) It was just as God planned.
2. Why is it important the Major may not know the real meaning of his unconscious thoughts and desires?
(a) That gives Alberto and Sophie a chance to escape.
(b) That allows him to do well at his job.
(c) That makes him susceptible to a writing error.
(d) That makes Hilde able to lie to him.
3. When Sophie climbs a tree, who rescues her from it?
(a) The magical goose.
(b) Mrs. Ingebrigtsen.
(c) Her cat.
(d) A fireman.
4. What comes out of the lake by the Major's cabin during Sophie's lesson on the Enlightenment period?
(a) A cyclops.
(b) A mermaid.
(c) An octopus.
(d) A sea serpent.
5. What upsets Sophie after she hears the lesson on Berkeley?
(a) She sees that Hilde is taking over her life.
(b) She knows she and Alberto exist in the mind of the Major.
(c) She knows she will die soon.
(d) She learns about her father's death.
6. What have the birds on the Galapagos Islands developed?
(a) Diseases that transfer to humans.
(b) Slight, but distinct differences.
(c) Dangerous and mean fighting strategies.
(d) Ways to escape captivity.
7. What does Kierkegaard accuse Hegel of doing?
(a) Stealing from the wealthy.
(b) Conforming to society's standards.
(c) Using the ignorance of the mass to his advantage.
(d) Abandoning thoughts of the individual.
8. When Hilde looks in the brass mirror, what does she see?
(a) The Major.
(b) Herself, only bald.
(c) The reflection blinking at her with both eyes.
(d) Her entire family.
9. How does Sophie feel about Berkeley's theory?
(a) That it is stupid.
(b) She finds it mystifying.
(d) She adopts it as her own.
10. As the Major travels home, what sign does he read?
(a) "I wish you would come home."
(b) "I can see you, Dad!"
(c) "Why did you hurt my feelings?"
(d) "Where did you put Sophie?"
11. What book does Alberto buy for Sophie?
(a) "An American Struggle."
(b) "Sophie's World."
(c) "The Bible."
(d) "Death Be Not Proud."
12. How does Hilde feel about Sophie?
(a) Hilde is jealous of Sophie.
(b) Hilde feels sorry for Sophie.
(c) Hilde is angry with Sophie.
(d) Hilde dislikes Sophie.
13. Where does Berkeley think all of our ideas originate?
(a) Our political leaders.
(b) Parents and elders.
(c) Traditions and customs.
(d) Everything comes from God.
14. As part of his philosophy, what does Kierkegaard map out?
(a) The way God wants humans to behave.
(b) Four stages the universe took in development.
(c) Three life stages and the people in those stages.
(d) The way the world will end.
15. Whom does Sophie meet in her travels?
(a) Mighty Mouse.
(b) Alice in Wonderland and Winnie the Pooh.
(c) Diego and Dora.
(d) Bert and Ernie.
Short Answer Questions
1. What information does Hilde find in the encyclopedia about George Berkeley?
2. Simone de Beauvoir in her book "The Second Sex" states that women can choose an identity that is what?
3. What does Hilde think of Sophie and Alberto?
4. What is the role of a philosopher, according to Hegel?
5. According to Marx, what causes historical change?
This section contains 603 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)