|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom does Sophie meet in her travels?
(a) Alice in Wonderland and Winnie the Pooh.
(b) Bert and Ernie.
(c) Diego and Dora.
(d) Mighty Mouse.
2. What is in the Major's first envelope from Hilde?
(b) A message from Sophie.
(c) A picture of her mirror.
(d) A note concerning the Mercedes.
3. When Darwin begins his studies, how is he best described?
(a) A practical naturalist.
(b) A neurotic scientist.
(c) A romantic.
(d) A Semite.
4. What angers Hilde concerning the passage, "We are a living planet, Sophie"?
(a) Hilde originally said that quote.
(b) Sophie monopolizes her father's time.
(c) The Major first said that to Hilde.
(d) Hilde disagrees with the passage.
5. What is Marx's solution to the society's impending collapse?
(a) A monarchy.
(c) A czar as leader.
(d) A classless society.
6. What book does Alberto buy for Sophie?
(a) "The Bible."
(b) "An American Struggle."
(c) "Death Be Not Proud."
(d) "Sophie's World."
7. What does Alberto tell Sophie concerning new philosophers?
(a) He is unfamiliar with them and can't teach them.
(b) They are more advanced than previous philosophers.
(c) Readers must struggle to find their deeper meanings.
(d) They are totally useless.
8. What situation does Alberto apply Hume's argument to?
(a) Political leaders vs. the general public.
(b) Environmentalist sentiments vs. economic development.
(c) Parents vs. children.
(d) Workers vs. factory owners.
9. What are the elves, dwarves and other creatures celebrating when Sophie and Alberto meet them?
(c) Valentine's Day.
(d) Mid Summer Eve.
10. When is Hilde's dad supposed to arrive home?
(c) Mid-Summer Eve.
(d) The start of school.
11. What is the conflict of Marx's day?
(a) Russia against the world.
(b) Workers against factory owners.
(c) Religious leaders against citizens.
(d) Children against parents.
12. How does Kant explain the place of faith in people's lives?
(a) Faith fills a space where reason and perception fail.
(b) Faith reaches those in pain.
(c) Faith has a place where ignorance is.
(d) Faith provides laws and guidelines for new cultures.
13. What is Darwin's theory that is included in "the Origin of the Species"?
(a) Safety necessitates laws.
(b) Natural selection through survival of the fittest.
(c) Evil forces challenge God's plans.
(d) God providing all species with survival skills.
14. What does Hilde's father order her to do?
(a) Join the Transcendentalist club.
(b) Finish the book.
(c) Go to school.
(d) Date Jeremy.
15. What ideals characterize the Romantic period?
(a) Care for the fairer sex.
(b) Love is the center of all its themes.
(c) Charity and devotion to the less fortunate.
(d) It is subjective, based on the feelings and inclinations of the individual.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Freud develop?
2. What is practical reason, according to Kant?
3. How does Hilde feel about Alberto and Hilde trying to escape?
4. What does Hume say people's feelings are not based on?
5. What change happens after Sophie's mother introduces Alberto to the gathering at the garden party?
This section contains 507 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)