|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What angers Alberto at the Cinderella Cafe?
(a) He cannot make the coffee dispenser work.
(b) Sophie won't stop pestering him.
(c) He cannot be seen and people walk on him.
(d) His money is the wrong kind.
2. As the Major travels home, what sign does he read?
(a) "Where did you put Sophie?"
(b) "I wish you would come home."
(c) "I can see you, Dad!"
(d) "Why did you hurt my feelings?"
3. What trails the plane that Alberto and Sophie see?
(a) Black smoke.
(b) A banner saying "Happy Birthday, Hilde."
(c) A skydiver.
(d) Another plane.
4. What is Hilde's birthday present from her father?
(a) Embroidered scarves.
(b) An ivory jewelry box.
(c) A ring binder with the typed text of a book.
(d) A diamond necklace.
5. Hegel states that prior philosophies search for what?
6. How does Alberto plan to escape the Major's story?
(a) With bribery and trickery.
(b) By leaving Sophie behind.
(c) Between the lines of the book.
(d) Alberto abandons this idea.
7. According to Alberto, the Romantic Movement tends to degenerate into what?
(a) The hippie counter-culture in the early 1800s.
(c) All answers are correct.
(d) A conservative and introverted movement.
8. As the garden party ends, what do Sophie and Alberto do?
(a) Find the ringed binder.
(b) Get a boat.
(c) Run to the cabin.
(d) Drive to the Cathedral.
9. After Sophie's lesson on Berkeley, whom does she run into on her way home?
(a) The Major.
(c) Her mother.
10. How does Hilde feel about Sophie?
(a) Hilde is angry with Sophie.
(b) Hilde feels sorry for Sophie.
(c) Hilde dislikes Sophie.
(d) Hilde is jealous of Sophie.
11. When is Hilde's dad supposed to arrive home?
(a) The start of school.
(c) Mid-Summer Eve.
12. Where does Berkeley think all of our ideas originate?
(a) Everything comes from God.
(b) Traditions and customs.
(c) Our political leaders.
(d) Parents and elders.
13. According to Marx, what causes historical change?
(a) Educated masses.
(b) Failing of political leaders.
(c) Uprising of the poor.
(d) Material and economic factors.
14. What is the HMS Beagle?
(a) The type of dog Hermes is.
(b) A ship Darwin takes to South America.
(c) The car at Sophie's party.
(d) The exit that the Major takes at the airport.
15. After philosophers who are rationalists, what is the shift toward?
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the elves, dwarves and other creatures celebrating when Sophie and Alberto meet them?
2. What ideals characterize the Romantic period?
3. What have the birds on the Galapagos Islands developed?
4. What is Berkeley's theory toward perceptions?
5. What situation does Alberto apply Hume's argument to?
This section contains 496 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)