|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the top hat metaphor, what are philosophers?
2. What tool does the God Thor use?
(b) Phillips screwdriver.
3. What does the doll that Alberto shows Sophie symbolize?
(a) The fleetingness of life.
(d) The courageousness of parents.
4. What does Descartes' philosophy ask?
(a) Why should we learn when others already know?
(b) How can Man teach others, help others?
(c) How can Man trust his own senses, since maybe his life is a dream?
(d) When did we become such followers of others?
5. Politically, what is the Baroque period characterized with?
(a) Assassinations and revolts.
(b) Waste and vulgarity.
(c) Peace and equality.
(d) Anger and ignorance.
6. How does Plato use math and geometry?
(a) To gain money.
(b) To aid him in obtaining true knowledge.
(c) To teach others less fortunate.
(d) To build houses.
7. Where is Sophie going to invite Alberto?
(a) On a camping trip.
(b) To a coffee shop.
(c) To her birthday party.
(d) To her school.
8. When Sophie's mother sees her playing with Legos, what does Sophie tell her mother?
(a) That she is having a hard time right now.
(b) That she is doing homework.
(c) That she is doing an experiment.
(d) That she misses her younger years.
9. How does Thor dress to fool the giants?
(a) As a deer.
(b) As circus folk, similar to a clown.
(c) As a priest.
(d) As a woman, a goddess.
10. When Sophie returns from the Major's cabin soaking wet, what does Sophie's mother think?
(a) Alberto is warping her mind.
(b) Sophie is in trouble with the law.
(c) Sophie has a boyfriend.
(d) Sophie is doing drugs.
11. What comprises Sophie's myth?
(a) A genie comes to grant wishes.
(b) A small child pops out of a flower.
(c) A Prince rescues a Princess.
(d) A monkey becomes her tour guide in life.
12. What does Sophie's dad do for a living?
(a) A captain on an oil tanker.
13. What does Sophie find in her room with the name "Hilde" written on it?
(a) A shirt.
(b) A notebook.
(c) A necklace.
(d) A red scarf.
14. What does Jesus say that he wants to bring to the whole world?
(a) Trial and confusion.
(b) Salvation and atonement.
(c) Good will and peace.
(d) Trust and hope.
15. What does Sophie build with Legos?
(a) Car decks.
(b) A shopping mall.
(d) A house.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ancient people used myths to explain what?
2. What does Empedocles believe plays a role in bringing things together?
3. What does Sophie find in the regular mail as the story opens?
4. What lesson with the topic of Plato and Socrates is presented?
5. What does Sophie see on the inside of a banana peel?
This section contains 483 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)