|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who are the Sophists?
(a) Teachers competing for Alberto's job.
(b) People related to Sophie.
(c) Gods Alberto lectures about.
(d) Men who charge for philosophical lessons.
2. What is the Indo-European's view of history?
(a) Cycles of history that start over again.
(b) We can learn very little from history.
(c) Teachers distort history.
(d) History cannot repeat itself.
3. What grade does the teacher give Sophie on her religious knowledge test?
(d) She asks Sophie to retake it.
4. What question does Sophie ask herself as she looks in the mirror after she reads her first note?
(a) Why was she placed here?
(b) Would she be a different person if she had a different name?
(c) Would her parents love her if she was a boy?
(d) Where should she go next?
5. What does Empedocles believe plays a role in bringing things together?
6. Where is Sophie going to invite Alberto?
(a) To a coffee shop.
(b) To her school.
(c) On a camping trip.
(d) To her birthday party.
7. What does Plato believe human beings get caught in?
(a) Confusion over Gods.
(b) Abuse and neglect of the young.
(c) Work and money struggles.
(d) The darkness of day-to-day perception.
8. What does the doll that Alberto shows Sophie symbolize?
(a) The fleetingness of life.
(d) The courageousness of parents.
9. What is the Baroque period known for?
(a) Magnificent palaces and monasteries.
(b) Closed houses of worship.
(c) Education and wealth.
(d) War and famine.
10. What is significant about the postmark of the postcard that is from the Major to Hilde?
(a) The postmark is two months in advance.
(b) The postmark is from a hundred years ago.
(c) The postmark is a day late.
(d) The postmark does not exist.
11. What do the Arabs develop in the 1200s?
(b) Moving pictures.
(c) Early recording systems.
12. What tool does the God Thor use?
(b) Phillips screwdriver.
13. Where does Sophie live?
(a) On the edge of the woods.
(b) A tall apartment complex.
(c) In the middle of town.
(d) A shady duplex.
14. How is Alberto dressed when Sophie meets him at the church?
(a) In a tux.
(b) He is naked.
(c) Like a monk.
(d) In regular street clothes.
15. When Sophie returns from the Major's cabin soaking wet, what does Sophie's mother think?
(a) Sophie is doing drugs.
(b) Sophie is in trouble with the law.
(c) Sophie has a boyfriend.
(d) Alberto is warping her mind.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sophie call her secret spot?
2. What does Sophie's mother think of the letters she receives?
3. What does the note say inside Sophie's first envelope?
4. What is Spinoza's philosophy?
5. After Sophie first tries to find her philosopher, how does Sophie's philosopher avoid her seeing him?
This section contains 527 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)