|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Sophie see on the inside of a banana peel?
(a) Bugs crawling everywhere.
(b) Directions to her house.
(c) Birthday wishes from Albert Knag to Hilde.
2. Ancient people used myths to explain what?
(b) The planets.
(d) The world.
3. Where does Sophie live?
(a) On the edge of the woods.
(b) A shady duplex.
(c) In the middle of town.
(d) A tall apartment complex.
4. Philosophically, how are the Indians and Greeks connected?
(a) They share many of the same Gods.
(b) They help each other in times of war.
(c) Both regard elders the same.
(d) Their educations are generally the same.
5. When Sophie confides in Alberto about her discovery after her dream, how does Alberto react?
(a) He slams a door.
(b) He cries.
(c) He says nothing.
(d) He says it is a cheap trick.
6. In continuing her search for the philosopher, what path does Sophie take?
(a) The path Hilde described on a postcard.
(b) The path Hermes took.
(c) The shortcut through town.
(d) The path her mother told her about.
7. When Alberto shows Sophie a computer, how does Major Albert Knag appear?
(a) As a bank withdrawal.
(b) In a video.
(c) As a journal entry.
(d) As a data virus.
8. What does Anaximenes believe that everything comes from ?
9. What is significant about the postmark of the postcard that is from the Major to Hilde?
(a) The postmark is from a hundred years ago.
(b) The postmark is two months in advance.
(c) The postmark is a day late.
(d) The postmark does not exist.
10. What do philosophers keep that babies have and adults lose?
(a) Their hunger.
(c) The ability to rest.
(d) Their sense of wonder.
11. During the Renaissance, what did philosophers believe?
(a) Man is smarter than God.
(b) Man was created in the image of the Creator.
(c) Man wants to please God.
(d) Man needs to worship multiple Gods.
12. What does the note say inside Sophie's first envelope?
(a) What are you doing?
(b) Where do you belong?
(c) Who are you?
(d) What is here?
13. What does Parmenides believe?
(a) Humans need Gods for confidence.
(b) No one ever dies.
(c) Only children can change.
(d) Everything has no real change.
14. What question does Sophie ask herself as she looks in the mirror after she reads her first note?
(a) Where should she go next?
(b) Why was she placed here?
(c) Would she be a different person if she had a different name?
(d) Would her parents love her if she was a boy?
15. What comprises Sophie's myth?
(a) A monkey becomes her tour guide in life.
(b) A small child pops out of a flower.
(c) A Prince rescues a Princess.
(d) A genie comes to grant wishes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Spinoza's philosophy?
2. What does Sophie's dad do for a living?
3. What does the introductory letter to Philosophy say?
4. What do the big brown envelopes that arrive for Sophie contain?
5. What does the doll that Alberto shows Sophie symbolize?
This section contains 553 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)