|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the Baroque period known for?
(a) Education and wealth.
(b) Magnificent palaces and monasteries.
(c) Closed houses of worship.
(d) War and famine.
2. What does Sophie find in her room with the name "Hilde" written on it?
(a) A necklace.
(b) A notebook.
(c) A shirt.
(d) A red scarf.
3. What does Descartes' philosophy ask?
(a) How can Man trust his own senses, since maybe his life is a dream?
(b) Why should we learn when others already know?
(c) When did we become such followers of others?
(d) How can Man teach others, help others?
4. What comprises Sophie's myth?
(a) A monkey becomes her tour guide in life.
(b) A Prince rescues a Princess.
(c) A small child pops out of a flower.
(d) A genie comes to grant wishes.
5. In continuing her search for the philosopher, what path does Sophie take?
(a) The path her mother told her about.
(b) The shortcut through town.
(c) The path Hilde described on a postcard.
(d) The path Hermes took.
6. What does Sophie see on the inside of a banana peel?
(a) Birthday wishes from Albert Knag to Hilde.
(b) Bugs crawling everywhere.
(d) Directions to her house.
7. When Sophie confides in Alberto about her discovery after her dream, how does Alberto react?
(a) He cries.
(b) He slams a door.
(c) He says it is a cheap trick.
(d) He says nothing.
8. Ancient people used myths to explain what?
(b) The planets.
(d) The world.
9. What does Sophie's mother think of the letters she receives?
(a) They are from a different country.
(b) They are codes.
(c) She does not know about Sophie's letters.
(d) They are love letters.
10. What warning does Sophie receive concerning her teacher, from her teacher?
(a) Only confide in her mother about him.
(b) Talk to the religious teacher about him.
(c) Do not try to find out about Alberto.
(d) Leave Joanna out of his lessons.
11. Whose letter comes to Sophie's house?
(a) Her religious teacher's.
(b) The cat's.
(d) Hilde's father's.
12. What does Sophie's dad do for a living?
(a) A captain on an oil tanker.
13. What does Jesus say that he wants to bring to the whole world?
(a) Trust and hope.
(b) Good will and peace.
(c) Salvation and atonement.
(d) Trial and confusion.
14. When Alberto shows Sophie a computer, how does Major Albert Knag appear?
(a) In a video.
(b) As a journal entry.
(c) As a data virus.
(d) As a bank withdrawal.
15. What do the Epicureans believe?
(a) In working hard and avoiding trouble.
(b) In forgiveness and volunteerism.
(c) In seeking pleasure and avoiding pain.
(d) In material possessions.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the doll that Alberto shows Sophie symbolize?
2. What does Sophie take from the Major's cabin?
3. What does Empedocles believe plays a role in bringing things together?
4. Who brings letters directly to Sophie?
5. According to the top hat metaphor, what are philosophers?
This section contains 475 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)