|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What question does Aquinas pose concerning inanimate objects, animals, man and angels?
(a) If they are composed of the same matter.
(b) If they live in pain.
(c) If time is the same for all of them.
(d) If God treats them the same.
2. What does Sophie call her secret spot?
(a) The den.
(b) Her basket.
(c) The nest.
3. Where do Sophie and Joanna camp?
(a) The Grouse top.
(b) Their school's playground.
(c) The lake house.
(d) Joanna's backyard.
4. What is the Baroque period known for?
(a) Closed houses of worship.
(b) War and famine.
(c) Education and wealth.
(d) Magnificent palaces and monasteries.
5. How is Alberto dressed when Sophie meets him at the church?
(a) He is naked.
(b) In a tux.
(c) Like a monk.
(d) In regular street clothes.
6. What does the introductory letter to Philosophy say?
(a) It simply has a phone number and address.
(b) It proposes many questions.
(c) It gives a calendar of the course.
(d) It lists several books for Sophie to read before her next lesson.
7. When Sophie confides in Alberto about her discovery after her dream, how does Alberto react?
(a) He cries.
(b) He says it is a cheap trick.
(c) He slams a door.
(d) He says nothing.
8. When Sophie returns from the Major's cabin soaking wet, what does Sophie's mother think?
(a) Sophie has a boyfriend.
(b) Alberto is warping her mind.
(c) Sophie is in trouble with the law.
(d) Sophie is doing drugs.
9. What does the note say inside Sophie's second envelope?
(a) What should your life be?
(b) Where does the earth come from?
(c) How will you help Earth today?
(d) Why are we here?
10. What do the Epicureans believe?
(a) In seeking pleasure and avoiding pain.
(b) In working hard and avoiding trouble.
(c) In forgiveness and volunteerism.
(d) In material possessions.
11. Philosophically, how are the Indians and Greeks connected?
(a) Both regard elders the same.
(b) They help each other in times of war.
(c) Their educations are generally the same.
(d) They share many of the same Gods.
12. What is Descartes' famous quote?
(a) "The obstacle is the path."
(b) "I am a part of all that I have met."
(c) "I think, therefore I am."
(d) "Believe those seeking the truth."
13. What is Spinoza's philosophy?
(a) The philosopher need only go where he can help.
(b) The philosopher and the student are of equal standing.
(c) The philosopher must die a martyr.
(d) The philosopher is part of the whole universe and all time.
14. What lesson with the topic of Plato and Socrates is presented?
(a) Helping those in need.
(b) Ignoring material possessions and living alone.
(c) Giving more than you have.
(d) Doing the right thing and knowing what you do not know.
15. Who is the only other being Sophie takes to her den with her?
(a) No one.
(b) Her cat.
(d) Her mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. What guise does Sophie arrange so she can meet Alberto in person?
2. What question does Sophie ask herself as she looks in the mirror after she reads her first note?
3. In continuing her search for the philosopher, what path does Sophie take?
4. What cultures comprise the Hellenism period?
5. Ancient people used myths to explain what?
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)