|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8, Athens, Chapter 9, Plato.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Sophie surprise Joanna after they finish classes?
(a) Sophie admits to skipping school to read her new book.
(b) Sophie is so intrigued by Philosophy that she does not want to play cards or badminton.
(c) Sophie attempts to coerce Joanna into cheating with her on a test.
(d) Joanna tries to make weekend plans, but Sophie ignores her and hurts her feelings.
2. According to Anaxagoras, what are seeds?
(a) The young of a group.
(b) Infinitely divisible particles.
(c) Grass and food for humans.
(d) Potential of ideas.
3. What is Albert Knag's occupation?
(a) A Norwegian Major in the U.N. Forces.
(b) A mechanical engineer.
(c) A General in the U.S. Air Force.
(d) A Certified Public Accountant.
4. How does Thor dress to fool the giants?
(a) As a deer.
(b) As circus folk, similar to a clown.
(c) As a woman, a goddess.
(d) As a priest.
5. What does Sophie find in the regular mail as the story opens?
(a) A letter addressed to Hilde Knag.
(b) A love letter.
(c) A letter from Joanna.
(d) An empty box.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Sophie first tries to find her philosopher, how does Sophie's philosopher avoid her seeing him?
2. Where does Sophie live?
3. According to the top hat metaphor, what are philosophers?
4. What does the note say inside Sophie's second envelope?
5. What question does Sophie ask herself as she looks in the mirror after she reads her first note?
This section contains 326 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)