|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Carter defending when he beat his father?
2. What gift does Carter bring Sophie at night?
3. What makes one of Sophie's siblings spill something?
4. Who is the only person who knows the truth about Carter's scars?
5. Who is in the most danger at Carter's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sophie always do for Carter on the way home from school?
2. How does the author introduce the back story for Sophie and Carter?
3. Why does Carter feel he is the only one who really knows Sophie?
4. What does Carter's friend ask about Sophie?
5. How does Carter help his mother with the problem she has at the beginning of the book?
6. How does Sophie's mother provide for her family?
7. What does Sophie do when she sees Carter in the hall at the beginning of the book?
8. Why is Sophie late for class at the beginning of the book?
9. How does Sophie get in contact with her mother?
10. What caused Carter's father to leave the house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are some of the key examples of gratitude in this book, and how do these instances affect that characters involved in those scenes?
Essay Topic 2
When did Carter begin feeling protective of Sophie, and why?
Essay Topic 3
What were some of the main differences between Carter and the other teens in his school, and how did this affect him?
This section contains 643 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)