|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Carter feel when one of his friends asks about Sophie?
2. How does Sophie feel when Carter fixes something in her house?
3. What does Sophie do at night with Carter that is different than usual?
4. How does Carter watch Sophie while he takes care of his mother?
5. What makes one of Sophie's siblings spill something?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sophie do when she sees Carter in the hall at the beginning of the book?
2. What caused Carter's father to leave the house?
3. What problem does Carter's mother have when he gets home at the beginning of the book?
4. How does Sophie get in contact with her mother?
5. Why does Sophie feel she is the only one who really knows Carter?
6. How was Sophie almost hurt in her own house?
7. What does Sophie do for Carter every morning, and why?
8. What causes Sophie to be jealous?
9. What does Sophie do on the porch swing that is new and different?
10. What does Whitney ask Sophie about Carter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Personal identity was one of the main themes in this book. Where did this theme appear, and how did its inclusion in the novel shape the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
The theme of abuse was central to this plot. How did this theme affect the main characters, and why do you think this was such an important theme for the author to present with this book?
Essay Topic 3
How are Sophie and Carter able to have so much hope at the end of the book?
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)