|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Carter's mother try to get rid of the things she thinks are on her arms?
(a) She scrapes them with a knife.
(b) She takes a bath.
(c) She sprays poison.
(d) She burns them off.
2. What does Whitney ask Sophie about?
(b) Sophie's boyfriend.
(d) Sophie's mother.
3. Who is Whitney?
(a) Carter's half-sister.
(b) A girl Carter once dated.
(c) Sophie's best friend.
(d) A cousin of Sophie's.
4. Where do other people think Carter got his scars?
(a) Suicide attempts.
(b) An accident.
(c) A fight.
(d) A mugging.
5. What made Carter able to beat his father?
(a) He had studied hard.
(b) He had worked out.
(c) He had heard his mother cry.
(d) He had managed his pain.
6. How does Sophie feel about the gift Carter brings her at night?
(a) She is surprised.
(b) She is grateful.
(c) She is offended.
(d) She is embarrassed.
7. How does Carter watch Sophie while he takes care of his mother?
(a) He looks out the window.
(b) He closes his eyes.
(c) He looks on his camera.
(d) He calls her.
8. Who was Carter defending when he beat his father?
(a) All of these.
(b) His brother.
(c) His mother.
9. What is Sophie's mother's job?
(a) A cashier.
(b) A traveling saleswoman.
(c) A travel agent.
(d) A prostitute.
10. Why doesn't Sophie tell Carter how she feels about him at the beginning of the book?
(a) She can't hurt his feelings.
(b) She doesn't want to ruin their friendship.
(c) She is too jealous.
(d) She knows he doesn't feel the same way.
11. Where does Sophie see Carter every night?
(a) Under the tree.
(b) The porch swing.
(c) The couch.
(d) Her bedroom.
12. What does Carter do when Sophie tells him to stop looking at something?
(a) He winks at her.
(b) He smiles.
(c) He ignores it.
(d) He gets angry.
13. What does Sophie become when her siblings come home?
(a) The mother.
(b) The maid.
(c) The servant.
(d) The cook.
14. How old was Sophie when someone tried to hurt her in her house?
15. Why does Sophie put off contacting her mother?
(a) It is unpleasant.
(b) She isn't sure where to look.
(c) She feels shameful.
(d) She doesn't need her money.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Carter know something in Sophie's house needs to be fixed?
2. What do Sophie and Carter have in common?
3. How do Sophie and Carter know each other?
4. What does Sophie try to do before Carter goes home?
5. How did Carter see who once tried to hurt Sophie in her house?
This section contains 470 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)