|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Carter's mother hallucinate?
(a) She was beat until she went crazy.
(b) She is always drunk.
(c) She is always afraid.
(d) She is dying.
2. What does Carter's mother do when she gets calmed down?
(a) Brushes her hair.
(c) Makes dinner.
(d) Watches TV.
3. What does one of Sophie's siblings spill?
4. How long is Sophie's mother away from the house?
(a) Weeks at a time.
(b) Months at a time.
(c) Years at a time.
(d) Days at a time.
5. How does Carter feel when one of his friends asks about Sophie?
6. What does Carter's mother think he sprays on her when he gets home?
(b) Bug spray.
(d) Calomine lotion.
7. When does Sophie contact her mother?
(a) When there is a problem.
(b) Every night.
(c) When she needs money.
(d) Once a week.
8. What do Sophie and Carter have in common?
(a) They have too much responsibility.
(b) They were abandoned by their father.
(c) All of these.
(d) They have been abused.
9. How does Sophie say she feels about Carter at the beginning of the book?
(a) She admires him.
(b) She hates him.
(c) She loves him.
(d) She is afraid of him.
10. What made Carter able to beat his father?
(a) He had managed his pain.
(b) He had heard his mother cry.
(c) He had worked out.
(d) He had studied hard.
11. How many siblings does Sophie have?
12. What does Sophie tell Carter to stop looking at on the way home from school?
(a) Her butt.
(b) Her scars.
(c) Her paper.
(d) Her house.
13. Why does Sophie make something for Carter every morning?
(a) It makes him happy.
(b) He doesn't know how to make it himself.
(c) It makes him part of their family.
(d) He can't have a coffee maker in his home.
14. Who does Carter walk home with after school?
15. Where does Sophie see Carter while at school?
(a) The library.
(b) The hall.
(c) The quad.
(d) The classroom.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Whitney?
2. How do Sophie and Carter know each other?
3. What does Carter fix in Sophie's house?
4. What does Sophie do while she waits for her siblings to come home?
5. How does Sophie communicate with Carter on the way home from school?
This section contains 418 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)