|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Miriam and Paul doing when they kiss for the first time?
2. What is Miriam's reaction to Paul's avoiding her?
3. What hope does Mrs. Morel have for Arthur when she sees how he behaves?
4. Where does Baxter move?
5. Where does Paul's relationship with Clara end?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mrs. Morel think about Clara?
2. Why and how does Clara's mother confide in Paul?
3. Why has Clara left her husband?
4. What is Miriam's plan to get Paul back in "Defeat of Miriam"?
5. How does Paul begin to feel about Clara in the chapter, "Defeat of Miriam"?
6. When Arthur joins the army, what is Mrs. Morel's hope for him?
7. Why does Mr. Morel eat dinner before seeing the body of his dead wife?
8. What are Paul's feelings when he is at the seaside?
9. What does Clara convince Paul about Miriam in the chapter, "Clara"?
10. What is the cause of Paul breaking up with Miriam in the chapter, "The Test on Miriam"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the tone of Sons and Lovers? How does the tone tie into the way the characters develop?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the ways in which Paul has two contrasting personalities.
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of the title Sons and Lovers to the novel's plot?
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)