|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Paul tells Miriam he wants to spend less time with her after discussing marriage for the first time, how does Miriam feel?
2. Why does Mrs. Morel approve of Annie's marriage?
3. Who gets fired after an altercation?
4. What is causing Mrs. Morel's illness?
5. Which character feels sorry for Clara in the chapter "Passion"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mrs. Morel think about Clara?
2. How is Mrs. Morel's health related to Paul's emotions?
3. How does Miriam react to Paul's discussion of marriage in the chapter, "The Test on Miriam"?
4. Why does Mrs. Morel dissuade Paul and Miriam's relationship?
5. Why does Paul have low self-esteem?
6. What is Miriam's plan to get Paul back in "Defeat of Miriam"?
7. In Clara's opinion, what does Paul feel for her?
8. How does Paul begin to feel about Clara in the chapter, "Defeat of Miriam"?
9. How does Paul change as Mrs. Morel gets sicker in the chapter, "The Release"?
10. What is the cause of Paul breaking up with Miriam in the chapter, "The Test on Miriam"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Are there any characters in the novel who do not have justified actions? Consider Paul adding morphine to his mother's drink, for example. Is he justified in his actions or not?
Essay Topic 2
What is significant about the novel being written in the third person omniscient point of view? Why does the author choose to write the novel this way?
Essay Topic 3
What is the tone of Sons and Lovers? How does the tone tie into the way the characters develop?
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)