|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Arthur's girlfriend?
2. Who is the most upset about Paul staying the night at Clara's home?
3. Who gets fired after an altercation?
4. What place does Paul's work win in the exhibition?
5. Why did Clara leave her husband?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mrs. Morel blame the burned bread on Miriam's presence at the house?
2. In "The Test on Miriam", why does Paul increase his level of courtship with Miriam?
3. Why does Paul have low self-esteem?
4. What are the results of Paul's first place win at the art exhibition?
5. Why does Paul decide that he must break off his relationship with Miriam completely in the chapter, "Defeat of Miriam"?
6. What are Paul's feelings when he is at the seaside?
7. Why and how does Clara's mother confide in Paul?
8. Why is Paul attracted to Clara?
9. What causes Clara to feel concern for Baxter Dawes?
10. How does Miriam react to Paul's discussion of marriage in the chapter, "The Test on Miriam"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which characters in the novel seem to lack love and validation in their relationships? How do they seek to achieve love and validation?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Paul's attraction to both Miriam and Clara.
Essay Topic 3
What is significant about the novel being written in the third person omniscient point of view? Why does the author choose to write the novel this way?
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)