|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Paul make money in the chapter "Passion"?
2. What are Miriam and Paul doing when they kiss for the first time?
3. In "The Release", which character is put in the hospital?
4. What season is it when Paul decides to see Miriam after turning her down the first time?
5. Where does Paul often work on his art?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Clara convince Paul about Miriam in the chapter, "Clara"?
2. What does Mrs. Morel think about Clara?
3. What is the cause of Paul breaking up with Miriam in the chapter, "The Test on Miriam"?
4. Why does Paul take Mrs. Morel on a trip to the Isle of Wight?
5. What are the results of Paul's first place win at the art exhibition?
6. In "The Test on Miriam", why does Paul increase his level of courtship with Miriam?
7. Why does Paul decide that he must break off his relationship with Miriam completely in the chapter, "Defeat of Miriam"?
8. When Arthur joins the army, what is Mrs. Morel's hope for him?
9. What is Miriam's plan to get Paul back in "Defeat of Miriam"?
10. Why does Mrs. Morel dissuade Paul and Miriam's relationship?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which characters in the novel seem to lack love and validation in their relationships? How do they seek to achieve love and validation?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Mrs. Morel strive to keep her sons Paul and William away from their prospective lovers? Consider the type of woman that Mrs. Morel would approve of for her sons. How does this ideal compare to Mrs. Morel herself?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the significance of England as a setting in Sons and Lovers. How does the setting play a direct role in the lives of the characters? Could the setting for the novel be another country?
This section contains 738 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)