|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Clara and her mother do for a living?
2. Who does Paul give the money from selling his work at the exhibition?
3. Why does Paul stop seeing Miriam so much?
4. Who tends to Paul's wounds when he gets beaten up in Nottingham?
5. How does Paul feel toward Clara when he sees her at Miriam's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Paul love in the chapter, "Baxter Dawes"?
2. In Clara's opinion, what does Paul feel for her?
3. What causes Clara to feel concern for Baxter Dawes?
4. How is Mrs. Morel's health related to Paul's emotions?
5. How does Miriam react to Paul's discussion of marriage in the chapter, "The Test on Miriam"?
6. Why does D. H. Lawrence build sexual tension between Paul and Clara?
7. Why does Paul begin avoiding Miriam in the chapter, "Defeat of Miriam"?
8. Why does Mrs. Morel blame the burned bread on Miriam's presence at the house?
9. Why has Clara left her husband?
10. When Arthur joins the army, what is Mrs. Morel's hope for him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of the title Sons and Lovers to the novel's plot?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Mrs. Morel strive to keep her sons Paul and William away from their prospective lovers? Consider the type of woman that Mrs. Morel would approve of for her sons. How does this ideal compare to Mrs. Morel herself?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the family dynamic in the Morel household. Use evidence from the novel to explain what caused the family dynamic and what events are a result of it.
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)