|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character believes that Paul doesn't fully love her?
2. What is the name of Annie's new husband?
3. Who invites Paul to see Sarah Bernhardt?
4. Who gets fired after an altercation?
5. Why does Miriam go to her grandmother's home to stay for a while?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Clara's opinion, what does Paul feel for her?
2. How does Miriam react to Paul's discussion of marriage in the chapter, "The Test on Miriam"?
3. Why has Clara left her husband?
4. What does Mrs. Morel think about Clara?
5. How does Paul change as Mrs. Morel gets sicker in the chapter, "The Release"?
6. Who does Paul love in the chapter, "Baxter Dawes"?
7. What is Miriam's plan to get Paul back in "Defeat of Miriam"?
8. What is the cause of Paul breaking up with Miriam in the chapter, "The Test on Miriam"?
9. Why does Paul decide that he must break off his relationship with Miriam completely in the chapter, "Defeat of Miriam"?
10. Why does D. H. Lawrence build sexual tension between Paul and Clara?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does Paul's ego play in the novel? How does it affect the plot and his interactions with other characters?
Essay Topic 2
Which characters in the novel seem to lack love and validation in their relationships? How do they seek to achieve love and validation?
Essay Topic 3
What is significant about the novel being written in the third person omniscient point of view? Why does the author choose to write the novel this way?
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)