|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Miriam is at her grandmother's home, what does she spend most of her time doing?
2. Who does Paul visit in Sheffield?
3. How does Paul make money in the chapter "Passion"?
4. When Paul tells Miriam he wants to spend less time with her after discussing marriage for the first time, how does Miriam feel?
5. Which of the following words best describes Clara's mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Arthur joins the army, what is Mrs. Morel's hope for him?
2. How does Miriam react to Paul's discussion of marriage in the chapter, "The Test on Miriam"?
3. Why does Paul take Mrs. Morel on a trip to the Isle of Wight?
4. In Clara's opinion, what does Paul feel for her?
5. Why does Mrs. Morel blame the burned bread on Miriam's presence at the house?
6. In "The Test on Miriam", why does Paul increase his level of courtship with Miriam?
7. What are the results of Paul's first place win at the art exhibition?
8. Why does Mrs. Morel dissuade Paul and Miriam's relationship?
9. How does Paul change as Mrs. Morel gets sicker in the chapter, "The Release"?
10. Describe Clara Dawes when Paul meets her for the first time.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is significant about the novel being written in the third person omniscient point of view? Why does the author choose to write the novel this way?
Essay Topic 2
What role does religion play in the novel? Why does the author use religious allusion in descriptions?
Essay Topic 3
What elements of irony are present in Sons and Lovers?
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)