|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much time do Miriam and Paul spend together when Miriam takes care of her grandmother?
2. Who does Paul invite to go on a seaside trip in the chapter, "Passion"?
3. Why is Mrs. Morel cautious of Clara?
4. Where does Baxter move?
5. Between which couple is validation lacking the most?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Paul begin to feel about Clara in the chapter, "Defeat of Miriam"?
2. What is Miriam's plan to get Paul back in "Defeat of Miriam"?
3. Why does Paul decide that he must break off his relationship with Miriam completely in the chapter, "Defeat of Miriam"?
4. Who does Paul love in the chapter, "Baxter Dawes"?
5. Why has Clara left her husband?
6. Why does Miriam believe that Paul has broken up with her?
7. What does Clara convince Paul about Miriam in the chapter, "Clara"?
8. Why does Paul take Mrs. Morel on a trip to the Isle of Wight?
9. How does Miriam react to Paul's discussion of marriage in the chapter, "The Test on Miriam"?
10. What does Mrs. Morel think about Clara?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
D. H. Lawrence uses a literary reference to Edgar Allen Poe in Sons and Lovers. What is the purpose of using this particular literary reference? How does it contribute to the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Mrs. Morel strive to keep her sons Paul and William away from their prospective lovers? Consider the type of woman that Mrs. Morel would approve of for her sons. How does this ideal compare to Mrs. Morel herself?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the relationship between Mr. and Mrs. Morel and their children. Use evidence to support your beliefs about why their relationships are this way.
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)