|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Mrs. Morel cautious of Clara?
2. How does Clara react to Baxter getting out of the hospital?
3. How much time do Miriam and Paul spend together when Miriam takes care of her grandmother?
4. What is the name of Annie's new husband?
5. What are Miriam and Paul doing when they kiss for the first time?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mrs. Morel think about Clara?
2. How does Paul begin to feel about Clara in the chapter, "Defeat of Miriam"?
3. What does Clara convince Paul about Miriam in the chapter, "Clara"?
4. Why does Paul have low self-esteem?
5. Why does Mrs. Morel dissuade Paul and Miriam's relationship?
6. When Arthur joins the army, what is Mrs. Morel's hope for him?
7. Why does Paul begin avoiding Miriam in the chapter, "Defeat of Miriam"?
8. What are Paul's feelings when he is at the seaside?
9. Describe Clara Dawes when Paul meets her for the first time.
10. How does Paul change as Mrs. Morel gets sicker in the chapter, "The Release"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Are there any characters in the novel who do not have justified actions? Consider Paul adding morphine to his mother's drink, for example. Is he justified in his actions or not?
Essay Topic 2
What type of foreshadowing is used in the relationship between Paul and Mrs. Morel? What events in the plot are foreshadowed?
Essay Topic 3
How is class structure an important theme in the novel? What part of the class structure is each character a part of, and why?
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)