|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character does Paul love completely in the chapter, "Baxter Dawes"?
2. On what day does Miriam invite both Clara and Paul over to her home?
3. Why does Miriam believe that Paul wants to spend less time with her after discussing marriage?
4. Who does Paul visit in Sheffield?
5. How old is Paul in the chapter "The Test on Miriam"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Paul begin to feel about Clara in the chapter, "Defeat of Miriam"?
2. Why does Paul have low self-esteem?
3. How does Paul change as Mrs. Morel gets sicker in the chapter, "The Release"?
4. What is Miriam's plan to get Paul back in "Defeat of Miriam"?
5. Why does Paul take Mrs. Morel on a trip to the Isle of Wight?
6. In Clara's opinion, what does Paul feel for her?
7. When Arthur joins the army, what is Mrs. Morel's hope for him?
8. What does Clara convince Paul about Miriam in the chapter, "Clara"?
9. How does Miriam react to Paul's discussion of marriage in the chapter, "The Test on Miriam"?
10. Describe Clara Dawes when Paul meets her for the first time.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the depiction of sexuality in Sons and Lovers. What made it so controversial when it was published?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Paul's attraction to both Miriam and Clara.
Essay Topic 3
What is the tone of Sons and Lovers? How does the tone tie into the way the characters develop?
This section contains 637 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)