|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Paul throw at Baxter's face in the chapter, "Baxter Dawes"?
2. What does Paul think Mrs. Morel's dead body looks like?
3. Who does Paul find at the home he visits in Sheffield?
4. What happens to Mrs. Morel's health as her life becomes more stressful?
5. Why does Miriam go to her grandmother's home to stay for a while?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Paul have low self-esteem?
2. Why and how does Clara's mother confide in Paul?
3. Describe Clara Dawes when Paul meets her for the first time.
4. Why is Paul attracted to Clara?
5. What does Clara convince Paul about Miriam in the chapter, "Clara"?
6. In "The Test on Miriam", why does Paul increase his level of courtship with Miriam?
7. Why does Paul take Mrs. Morel on a trip to the Isle of Wight?
8. Why does Mr. Morel eat dinner before seeing the body of his dead wife?
9. Why does D. H. Lawrence build sexual tension between Paul and Clara?
10. Why does Mrs. Morel dissuade Paul and Miriam's relationship?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What elements of irony are present in Sons and Lovers?
Essay Topic 2
What type of foreshadowing is used in the relationship between Paul and Mrs. Morel? What events in the plot are foreshadowed?
Essay Topic 3
Choose three characters from Sons and Lovers. Define their goals, motivations, and wants. As a result of these aspects of their characterization, how do they interact with other characters?
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)