|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What drives Clara away from Paul?
2. Where did Clara once work before she got married?
3. What does Miriam believe will happen when Paul leaves her after discussing marriage for the first time?
4. How does Paul view Clara when he initially meets her?
5. How many guineas does Paul's exhibition work sell for?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Clara convince Paul about Miriam in the chapter, "Clara"?
2. Why does Paul take Mrs. Morel on a trip to the Isle of Wight?
3. Why does D. H. Lawrence build sexual tension between Paul and Clara?
4. What causes Clara to feel concern for Baxter Dawes?
5. Why does Paul decide that he must break off his relationship with Miriam completely in the chapter, "Defeat of Miriam"?
6. How does Paul begin to feel about Clara in the chapter, "Defeat of Miriam"?
7. Why does Miriam believe that Paul has broken up with her?
8. When Arthur joins the army, what is Mrs. Morel's hope for him?
9. Why does Mrs. Morel dissuade Paul and Miriam's relationship?
10. What are the results of Paul's first place win at the art exhibition?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the ways in which Paul has two contrasting personalities.
Essay Topic 2
Choose three characters from Sons and Lovers. Define their goals, motivations, and wants. As a result of these aspects of their characterization, how do they interact with other characters?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the significance of England as a setting in Sons and Lovers. How does the setting play a direct role in the lives of the characters? Could the setting for the novel be another country?
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)