|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What drives Clara away from Paul?
2. When Miriam is at her grandmother's home, what does she spend most of her time doing?
3. When Paul tells Miriam he wants to spend less time with her after discussing marriage for the first time, how does Miriam feel?
4. Where does Baxter work?
5. Who is asked to deliver a message to Clara?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does D. H. Lawrence build sexual tension between Paul and Clara?
2. Why is Paul attracted to Clara?
3. Why does Mr. Morel eat dinner before seeing the body of his dead wife?
4. Why does Paul begin avoiding Miriam in the chapter, "Defeat of Miriam"?
5. Why does Paul take Mrs. Morel on a trip to the Isle of Wight?
6. Why and how does Clara's mother confide in Paul?
7. In Clara's opinion, what does Paul feel for her?
8. How is Mrs. Morel's health related to Paul's emotions?
9. How does Paul change as Mrs. Morel gets sicker in the chapter, "The Release"?
10. Why does Mrs. Morel blame the burned bread on Miriam's presence at the house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the depiction of sexuality in Sons and Lovers. What made it so controversial when it was published?
Essay Topic 2
What type of foreshadowing is used in the relationship between Paul and Mrs. Morel? What events in the plot are foreshadowed?
Essay Topic 3
What role does religion play in the novel? Why does the author use religious allusion in descriptions?
This section contains 661 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)