|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Paul take Mrs. Morel to the city?
2. What does Paul put in Mrs. Morel's drink to cause her to die?
3. What is the name of Arthur's girlfriend?
4. When Paul and Miriam are distracted by the village girl, what burns in the oven?
5. What does Mr. Morel do before seeing the dead body of his wife?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Clara convince Paul about Miriam in the chapter, "Clara"?
2. How does Paul begin to feel about Clara in the chapter, "Defeat of Miriam"?
3. Who does Paul love in the chapter, "Baxter Dawes"?
4. Why does Paul take Mrs. Morel on a trip to the Isle of Wight?
5. Why does D. H. Lawrence build sexual tension between Paul and Clara?
6. What are the results of Paul's first place win at the art exhibition?
7. How does Paul change as Mrs. Morel gets sicker in the chapter, "The Release"?
8. When Arthur joins the army, what is Mrs. Morel's hope for him?
9. Why and how does Clara's mother confide in Paul?
10. Why does Paul decide that he must break off his relationship with Miriam completely in the chapter, "Defeat of Miriam"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Mrs. Morel strive to keep her sons Paul and William away from their prospective lovers? Consider the type of woman that Mrs. Morel would approve of for her sons. How does this ideal compare to Mrs. Morel herself?
Essay Topic 2
What role does Paul's ego play in the novel? How does it affect the plot and his interactions with other characters?
Essay Topic 3
Are there any characters in the novel who do not have justified actions? Consider Paul adding morphine to his mother's drink, for example. Is he justified in his actions or not?
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)