|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Release", which character is put in the hospital?
2. How many years older is Clara than Paul?
3. Where does Baxter work?
4. What is Miriam's reaction to Paul's avoiding her?
5. What season is it when Paul decides to see Miriam after turning her down the first time?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes Clara to feel concern for Baxter Dawes?
2. Who does Paul love in the chapter, "Baxter Dawes"?
3. What is the cause of Paul breaking up with Miriam in the chapter, "The Test on Miriam"?
4. When Arthur joins the army, what is Mrs. Morel's hope for him?
5. Why has Clara left her husband?
6. How is Mrs. Morel's health related to Paul's emotions?
7. Why does Mr. Morel eat dinner before seeing the body of his dead wife?
8. Why does Miriam believe that Paul has broken up with her?
9. How does Miriam react to Paul's discussion of marriage in the chapter, "The Test on Miriam"?
10. What is Miriam's plan to get Paul back in "Defeat of Miriam"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
D. H. Lawrence uses a literary reference to Edgar Allen Poe in Sons and Lovers. What is the purpose of using this particular literary reference? How does it contribute to the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Why does the author choose to use dialect to convey messages about the characters, location, and time period? How does the dialect contribute to the atmosphere?
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of the title Sons and Lovers to the novel's plot?
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)