|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character does Paul love completely in the chapter, "Baxter Dawes"?
2. Where did Clara once work before she got married?
3. On what day does Miriam invite both Clara and Paul over to her home?
4. Which character feels sorry for Clara in the chapter "Passion"?
5. What is Miriam's reaction to Paul's avoiding her?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Clara's opinion, what does Paul feel for her?
2. What are the results of Paul's first place win at the art exhibition?
3. When Arthur joins the army, what is Mrs. Morel's hope for him?
4. How does Miriam react to Paul's discussion of marriage in the chapter, "The Test on Miriam"?
5. What is the cause of Paul breaking up with Miriam in the chapter, "The Test on Miriam"?
6. Why does Paul have low self-esteem?
7. Why does Paul take Mrs. Morel on a trip to the Isle of Wight?
8. Why does Mr. Morel eat dinner before seeing the body of his dead wife?
9. How does Paul begin to feel about Clara in the chapter, "Defeat of Miriam"?
10. Why does Paul begin avoiding Miriam in the chapter, "Defeat of Miriam"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Are there any characters in the novel who do not have justified actions? Consider Paul adding morphine to his mother's drink, for example. Is he justified in his actions or not?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the significance of England as a setting in Sons and Lovers. How does the setting play a direct role in the lives of the characters? Could the setting for the novel be another country?
Essay Topic 3
What elements of irony are present in Sons and Lovers?
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)