|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What unlikely friendship forms in the chapter, "The Release"?
2. What does Arthur do one day when he gets drunk?
3. What is the name of the village girl who arrives and distracts Paul and Miriam at the Morel home?
4. What is the weather like at Mrs. Morel's burial?
5. Who does Mrs. Morel blame for the food in the oven being burnt?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Miriam react to Paul's discussion of marriage in the chapter, "The Test on Miriam"?
2. What is the cause of Paul breaking up with Miriam in the chapter, "The Test on Miriam"?
3. What are Paul's feelings when he is at the seaside?
4. Who does Paul love in the chapter, "Baxter Dawes"?
5. What does Clara convince Paul about Miriam in the chapter, "Clara"?
6. How does Paul begin to feel about Clara in the chapter, "Defeat of Miriam"?
7. Why does Paul have low self-esteem?
8. Why does Paul begin avoiding Miriam in the chapter, "Defeat of Miriam"?
9. In Clara's opinion, what does Paul feel for her?
10. What causes Clara to feel concern for Baxter Dawes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the family dynamic in the Morel household. Use evidence from the novel to explain what caused the family dynamic and what events are a result of it.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the ways in which Paul has two contrasting personalities.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Paul's attraction to both Miriam and Clara.
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)