|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Paul in the chapter "The Test on Miriam"?
2. How long has Miriam known Paul in "Passion"?
3. What is the name of Annie's new husband?
4. How old is Clara?
5. Where did Clara once work before she got married?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "The Test on Miriam", why does Paul increase his level of courtship with Miriam?
2. Why does Miriam believe that Paul has broken up with her?
3. Why has Clara left her husband?
4. Why does Paul have low self-esteem?
5. What is the cause of Paul breaking up with Miriam in the chapter, "The Test on Miriam"?
6. Who does Paul love in the chapter, "Baxter Dawes"?
7. Why and how does Clara's mother confide in Paul?
8. Why does Mrs. Morel dissuade Paul and Miriam's relationship?
9. How does Miriam react to Paul's discussion of marriage in the chapter, "The Test on Miriam"?
10. What are Paul's feelings when he is at the seaside?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the significance of England as a setting in Sons and Lovers. How does the setting play a direct role in the lives of the characters? Could the setting for the novel be another country?
Essay Topic 2
How is class structure an important theme in the novel? What part of the class structure is each character a part of, and why?
Essay Topic 3
What role does religion play in the novel? Why does the author use religious allusion in descriptions?
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)