|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following words best describes Clara's mother?
2. What season is it when Paul decides to see Miriam after turning her down the first time?
3. What does Paul throw at Baxter's face in the chapter, "Baxter Dawes"?
4. On what day does Miriam invite both Clara and Paul over to her home?
5. How long has Miriam known Paul in "Passion"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Paul's feelings when he is at the seaside?
2. How is Mrs. Morel's health related to Paul's emotions?
3. How does Miriam react to Paul's discussion of marriage in the chapter, "The Test on Miriam"?
4. Why does Paul begin avoiding Miriam in the chapter, "Defeat of Miriam"?
5. Why does Miriam believe that Paul has broken up with her?
6. Who does Paul love in the chapter, "Baxter Dawes"?
7. How does Paul change as Mrs. Morel gets sicker in the chapter, "The Release"?
8. What does Mrs. Morel think about Clara?
9. Why does Mr. Morel eat dinner before seeing the body of his dead wife?
10. What is the cause of Paul breaking up with Miriam in the chapter, "The Test on Miriam"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the tone of Sons and Lovers? How does the tone tie into the way the characters develop?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the family dynamic in the Morel household. Use evidence from the novel to explain what caused the family dynamic and what events are a result of it.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the significance of England as a setting in Sons and Lovers. How does the setting play a direct role in the lives of the characters? Could the setting for the novel be another country?
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)