|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Baxter work?
2. Where does Baxter move?
3. What unlikely friendship forms in the chapter, "The Release"?
4. What drives Clara away from Paul?
5. Who is the most upset about Paul staying the night at Clara's home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Clara Dawes when Paul meets her for the first time.
2. How does Miriam react to Paul's discussion of marriage in the chapter, "The Test on Miriam"?
3. Why does Paul take Mrs. Morel on a trip to the Isle of Wight?
4. What is Miriam's plan to get Paul back in "Defeat of Miriam"?
5. What does Mrs. Morel think about Clara?
6. Why is Paul attracted to Clara?
7. Why does Mrs. Morel blame the burned bread on Miriam's presence at the house?
8. How is Mrs. Morel's health related to Paul's emotions?
9. Why does Paul decide that he must break off his relationship with Miriam completely in the chapter, "Defeat of Miriam"?
10. What is the cause of Paul breaking up with Miriam in the chapter, "The Test on Miriam"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Mrs. Morel strive to keep her sons Paul and William away from their prospective lovers? Consider the type of woman that Mrs. Morel would approve of for her sons. How does this ideal compare to Mrs. Morel herself?
Essay Topic 2
How is class structure an important theme in the novel? What part of the class structure is each character a part of, and why?
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of the title Sons and Lovers to the novel's plot?
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)