|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character believes that Paul doesn't fully love her?
2. Why does Arthur get married?
3. Why does Miriam go to her grandmother's home to stay for a while?
4. Why does Mrs. Morel approve of Annie's marriage?
5. How much time do Miriam and Paul spend together when Miriam takes care of her grandmother?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Paul's feelings when he is at the seaside?
2. Why does Paul take Mrs. Morel on a trip to the Isle of Wight?
3. What does Mrs. Morel think about Clara?
4. Why does D. H. Lawrence build sexual tension between Paul and Clara?
5. In "The Test on Miriam", why does Paul increase his level of courtship with Miriam?
6. Who does Paul love in the chapter, "Baxter Dawes"?
7. Why and how does Clara's mother confide in Paul?
8. What is the cause of Paul breaking up with Miriam in the chapter, "The Test on Miriam"?
9. Why does Paul decide that he must break off his relationship with Miriam completely in the chapter, "Defeat of Miriam"?
10. How does Paul begin to feel about Clara in the chapter, "Defeat of Miriam"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does Paul's ego play in the novel? How does it affect the plot and his interactions with other characters?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the relationship between Mr. and Mrs. Morel and their children. Use evidence to support your beliefs about why their relationships are this way.
Essay Topic 3
What is significant about the novel being written in the third person omniscient point of view? Why does the author choose to write the novel this way?
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)