|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What unlikely friendship forms in the chapter, "The Release"?
2. What does Paul think Mrs. Morel's dead body looks like?
3. How much time do Miriam and Paul spend together when Miriam takes care of her grandmother?
4. What is the name of Annie's new husband?
5. Why does Miriam believe that Paul wants to spend less time with her after discussing marriage?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the results of Paul's first place win at the art exhibition?
2. Why does Paul decide that he must break off his relationship with Miriam completely in the chapter, "Defeat of Miriam"?
3. How does Paul begin to feel about Clara in the chapter, "Defeat of Miriam"?
4. How does Miriam react to Paul's discussion of marriage in the chapter, "The Test on Miriam"?
5. Who does Paul love in the chapter, "Baxter Dawes"?
6. Why does Paul take Mrs. Morel on a trip to the Isle of Wight?
7. Why does Miriam believe that Paul has broken up with her?
8. Why does Mrs. Morel dissuade Paul and Miriam's relationship?
9. What are Paul's feelings when he is at the seaside?
10. Why is Paul attracted to Clara?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is significant about the novel being written in the third person omniscient point of view? Why does the author choose to write the novel this way?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the depiction of sexuality in Sons and Lovers. What made it so controversial when it was published?
Essay Topic 3
Choose three characters from Sons and Lovers. Define their goals, motivations, and wants. As a result of these aspects of their characterization, how do they interact with other characters?
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)