|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Paul decide to devote more time to in "Passion"?
2. What distracts Paul at the Sarah Bernhardt performance?
3. How does Paul break up with Miriam?
4. What do Clara and her mother do for a living?
5. What is Miriam's reaction to Paul's avoiding her?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why has Clara left her husband?
2. Why does Paul have low self-esteem?
3. How does Paul begin to feel about Clara in the chapter, "Defeat of Miriam"?
4. What are the results of Paul's first place win at the art exhibition?
5. Why is Paul attracted to Clara?
6. How does Paul change as Mrs. Morel gets sicker in the chapter, "The Release"?
7. Why does Paul begin avoiding Miriam in the chapter, "Defeat of Miriam"?
8. Why does Mrs. Morel dissuade Paul and Miriam's relationship?
9. In Clara's opinion, what does Paul feel for her?
10. Why does Mrs. Morel blame the burned bread on Miriam's presence at the house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Mrs. Morel strive to keep her sons Paul and William away from their prospective lovers? Consider the type of woman that Mrs. Morel would approve of for her sons. How does this ideal compare to Mrs. Morel herself?
Essay Topic 2
What elements of irony are present in Sons and Lovers?
Essay Topic 3
What is significant about the novel being written in the third person omniscient point of view? Why does the author choose to write the novel this way?
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)