|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Paul take to the Isle of Wight?
2. When Miriam is at her grandmother's home, what does she spend most of her time doing?
3. What drives Clara away from Paul?
4. Why does Paul take Mrs. Morel to the city?
5. What do Clara and her mother do for a living?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Paul have low self-esteem?
2. What are Paul's feelings when he is at the seaside?
3. Why does Miriam believe that Paul has broken up with her?
4. Why does Mrs. Morel blame the burned bread on Miriam's presence at the house?
5. How does Miriam react to Paul's discussion of marriage in the chapter, "The Test on Miriam"?
6. Why is Paul attracted to Clara?
7. What is the cause of Paul breaking up with Miriam in the chapter, "The Test on Miriam"?
8. Why has Clara left her husband?
9. When Arthur joins the army, what is Mrs. Morel's hope for him?
10. Describe Clara Dawes when Paul meets her for the first time.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does Paul's ego play in the novel? How does it affect the plot and his interactions with other characters?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Mrs. Morel strive to keep her sons Paul and William away from their prospective lovers? Consider the type of woman that Mrs. Morel would approve of for her sons. How does this ideal compare to Mrs. Morel herself?
Essay Topic 3
How is class structure an important theme in the novel? What part of the class structure is each character a part of, and why?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)