|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who beats up Paul in Nottingham?
2. What does Mr. Morel do before seeing the dead body of his wife?
3. Why does Miriam go to her grandmother's home to stay for a while?
4. What are Miriam and Paul doing when they kiss for the first time?
5. When Arthur becomes a teenager, how does he begin to behave?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose three characters from Sons and Lovers. Define their goals, motivations, and wants. As a result of these aspects of their characterization, how do they interact with other characters?
Essay Topic 2
Are there any characters in the novel who do not have justified actions? Consider Paul adding morphine to his mother's drink, for example. Is he justified in his actions or not?
Essay Topic 3
What type of foreshadowing is used in the relationship between Paul and Mrs. Morel? What events in the plot are foreshadowed?
This section contains 624 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)