|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Paul feel toward Clara when he sees her at Miriam's house?
2. What does Clara make Paul consider?
3. Who wakes Paul up the morning after he spends the night at Clara's home?
4. What does Miriam say to Paul about marriage when they visit at her grandmother's cottage?
5. Who beats up Paul in Nottingham?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Clara's opinion, what does Paul feel for her?
2. How does Paul change as Mrs. Morel gets sicker in the chapter, "The Release"?
3. What is Miriam's plan to get Paul back in "Defeat of Miriam"?
4. Why has Clara left her husband?
5. Why does Miriam believe that Paul has broken up with her?
6. Why and how does Clara's mother confide in Paul?
7. What is the cause of Paul breaking up with Miriam in the chapter, "The Test on Miriam"?
8. In "The Test on Miriam", why does Paul increase his level of courtship with Miriam?
9. How does Miriam react to Paul's discussion of marriage in the chapter, "The Test on Miriam"?
10. Why does Mrs. Morel dissuade Paul and Miriam's relationship?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What elements of irony are present in Sons and Lovers?
Essay Topic 2
How is class structure an important theme in the novel? What part of the class structure is each character a part of, and why?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the ways in which Paul has two contrasting personalities.
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)