|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Paul view Clara when he initially meets her?
2. How many guineas does Paul's exhibition work sell for?
3. Who does Paul visit in Sheffield?
4. What does Paul throw at Baxter's face in the chapter, "Baxter Dawes"?
5. What drives Clara away from Paul?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does D. H. Lawrence build sexual tension between Paul and Clara?
2. When Arthur joins the army, what is Mrs. Morel's hope for him?
3. What are Paul's feelings when he is at the seaside?
4. Why has Clara left her husband?
5. In "The Test on Miriam", why does Paul increase his level of courtship with Miriam?
6. Why does Mrs. Morel dissuade Paul and Miriam's relationship?
7. What does Mrs. Morel think about Clara?
8. In Clara's opinion, what does Paul feel for her?
9. What does Clara convince Paul about Miriam in the chapter, "Clara"?
10. Why does Miriam believe that Paul has broken up with her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the ways in which Paul has two contrasting personalities.
Essay Topic 2
What is the tone of Sons and Lovers? How does the tone tie into the way the characters develop?
Essay Topic 3
What role does Paul's ego play in the novel? How does it affect the plot and his interactions with other characters?
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)