|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the midwife who delivers Paul?
2. Who actively tries to keep Paul and Miriam apart?
3. Who does Paul seem to be following in the footsteps of in Mrs. Morel's eyes?
4. What does Mr. Morel throw at his wife's head?
5. What is Annie's job?
Short Essay Questions
1. Compare Paul and Mrs. Morel.
2. Why is Mr. Morel upset that William has an office job?
3. Why doesn't Mrs. Morel accept Mr. Morel's apology for locking her out of the house?
4. Why does Paul end up deciding against committing suicide?
5. What are the results of Paul's first place win at the art exhibition?
6. Why and how does Clara's mother confide in Paul?
7. What causes Mr. and Mrs. Morel's relationship to recover slightly in "The Casting Off of Morel"?
8. Describe the relationship between the Morel family and Lily.
9. Describe the Leiver family.
10. What is Miriam's plan to get Paul back in "Defeat of Miriam"?
Essay Topic 1
Describe the significance of England as a setting in Sons and Lovers. How does the setting play a direct role in the lives of the characters? Could the setting for the novel be another country?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the family dynamic in the Morel household. Use evidence from the novel to explain what caused the family dynamic and what events are a result of it.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the depiction of sexuality in Sons and Lovers. What made it so controversial when it was published?
This section contains 1,102 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)