|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Paul talk about his work to often?
2. Who actively tries to keep Paul and Miriam apart?
3. From where does Mr. Morel steal money?
4. Why doesn't Mrs. Morel want to have a third child?
5. When Paul feels frustrated, who does he avoid?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Paul awarded a job in Nottingham?
2. Describe Paul's general appearance and personality.
3. What is Mr. Morel's reaction to Arthur's birth?
4. Describe the relationship between the Morel family and Lily.
5. In what ways does William become successful?
6. Describe the feelings that Paul and Miriam have for each other, and why in "Lad-and-Girl Love".
7. Describe Mr. Morel's alcohol problem.
8. What are the similarities between Paul and Miriam?
9. How is Arthur described as being similar to his father?
10. Why don't Miriam's brothers think that she should learn algebra?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is significant about the novel being written in the third person omniscient point of view? Why does the author choose to write the novel this way?
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of the title Sons and Lovers to the novel's plot?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Mrs. Morel strive to keep her sons Paul and William away from their prospective lovers? Consider the type of woman that Mrs. Morel would approve of for her sons. How does this ideal compare to Mrs. Morel herself?
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)