|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who actively tries to keep Paul and Miriam apart?
2. Who does Mrs. Morel dote on the least?
3. What does Mr. Morel injure?
4. What offends Mrs. Morel about the photograph that William sends her?
5. In what season does Paul begin to walk again?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Nottinghamshire and The Bottoms.
2. What happens in "Paul Launches into Life" that causes Mr. Morel to become physically hurt?
3. Describe Mr. Morel's alcohol problem.
4. Why doesn't Mrs. Morel like Miriam?
5. Why isn't Mrs. Morel happy at the beginning of the book?
6. What are the similarities between Paul and Miriam?
7. Why doesn't Mrs. Morel get any help from her in-laws?
8. How is Arthur described as being similar to his father?
9. Why is Paul awarded a job in Nottingham?
10. What is Mr. Morel's reaction to Arthur's birth?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of the title Sons and Lovers to the novel's plot?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the relationship between Mr. and Mrs. Morel and their children. Use evidence to support your beliefs about why their relationships are this way.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the ways in which Paul has two contrasting personalities.
This section contains 583 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)