|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Thomas Jordan firm manufacture?
2. What do Paul and Annie often present to their mother?
3. Why doesn't Mrs. Morel want to have a third child?
4. Who actively tries to keep Paul and Miriam apart?
5. In what season did Mr. and Mrs. Morel meet?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Mr. Morel's alcohol problem.
2. Why doesn't Mrs. Morel accept Mr. Morel's apology for locking her out of the house?
3. How is Arthur described as being similar to his father?
4. What causes Mr. and Mrs. Morel's relationship to recover slightly in "The Casting Off of Morel"?
5. Describe the feelings that Paul and Miriam have for each other, and why in "Lad-and-Girl Love".
6. Why does Paul break Annie's dolls and set them on fire?
7. What are the similarities between Paul and Miriam?
8. Describe Mrs. Morel's reaction to William's death.
9. What happens in "Paul Launches into Life" that causes Mr. Morel to become physically hurt?
10. Describe the relationship between the Morel family and Lily.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Are there any characters in the novel who do not have justified actions? Consider Paul adding morphine to his mother's drink, for example. Is he justified in his actions or not?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Paul's attraction to both Miriam and Clara.
Essay Topic 3
Choose three characters from Sons and Lovers. Define their goals, motivations, and wants. As a result of these aspects of their characterization, how do they interact with other characters?
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)