|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who gets angry about another character working as a clerk?
2. Who is Mr. Pappleworth?
3. What is said to have saved Mrs. Morel from depression after William's death?
4. How far into her marriage does Mrs. Morel stop loving her husband?
5. How many times do the Morels hear from William's fiance after he dies?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't Mrs. Morel like Miriam?
2. Describe Nottinghamshire and The Bottoms.
3. Why does Mrs. Morel dislike William's girlfriend, Lily?
4. Why don't Miriam's brothers think that she should learn algebra?
5. Why does Paul break Annie's dolls and set them on fire?
6. Compare the jobs that Paul and William have to that of Mr. Morel and explain why there is such a difference.
7. How does Mrs. Morel feel about her baby when it is born?
8. What is Mr. Morel's reaction to Arthur's birth?
9. What are the similarities between Paul and Miriam?
10. Describe Paul's general appearance and personality.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Paul's attraction to both Miriam and Clara.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the family dynamic in the Morel household. Use evidence from the novel to explain what caused the family dynamic and what events are a result of it.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the depiction of sexuality in Sons and Lovers. What made it so controversial when it was published?
This section contains 629 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)