|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Arthur most like?
2. Which of his children does Mr. Morel bond with the most?
3. What does Mr. Morel steal money for?
4. Who does Mr. Morel blame his altercation with Mrs. Morel on?
5. Where do the girls that Paul makes friends with work?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mrs. Morel think about Clara?
2. Why does Paul take Mrs. Morel on a trip to the Isle of Wight?
3. Describe the feelings that Paul and Miriam have for each other, and why in "Lad-and-Girl Love".
4. How does Mrs. Morel feel about her baby when it is born?
5. Why does Paul have low self-esteem?
6. After Mrs. Morel has died, how does Paul's life change?
7. In "The Test on Miriam", why does Paul increase his level of courtship with Miriam?
8. What causes Mr. and Mrs. Morel's relationship to recover slightly in "The Casting Off of Morel"?
9. How does Paul change as Mrs. Morel gets sicker in the chapter, "The Release"?
10. Why does Paul consider suicide?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the significance of England as a setting in Sons and Lovers. How does the setting play a direct role in the lives of the characters? Could the setting for the novel be another country?
Essay Topic 2
D. H. Lawrence uses a literary reference to Edgar Allen Poe in Sons and Lovers. What is the purpose of using this particular literary reference? How does it contribute to the novel?
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of the title Sons and Lovers to the novel's plot?
This section contains 1,092 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)