|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Paul talk about his work to often?
2. Who is Arthur most like?
3. Who is Miriam most drawn to?
4. How does Mr. Morel "defile" William?
5. Who does Mrs. Morel dote on the least?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens in "Paul Launches into Life" that causes Mr. Morel to become physically hurt?
2. Describe the Leiver family.
3. Why doesn't Mrs. Morel like Miriam?
4. In what ways does William become successful?
5. Compare Paul and Mrs. Morel.
6. What are the similarities between Paul and Miriam?
7. Why is Paul awarded a job in Nottingham?
8. Why don't Miriam's brothers think that she should learn algebra?
9. Why isn't Mrs. Morel happy at the beginning of the book?
10. What does the time period of Sons and Lovers tell us about domestic abuse in the novel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
D. H. Lawrence uses a literary reference to Edgar Allen Poe in Sons and Lovers. What is the purpose of using this particular literary reference? How does it contribute to the novel?
Essay Topic 2
How is class structure an important theme in the novel? What part of the class structure is each character a part of, and why?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the significance of England as a setting in Sons and Lovers. How does the setting play a direct role in the lives of the characters? Could the setting for the novel be another country?
This section contains 657 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)