|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many relationships has Miriam had before Paul?
2. In the beginning, what year does the novel take place?
3. What is one thing that Miriam absolutely does not want to be?
4. Who gets angry about another character working as a clerk?
5. What does Paul often pick up to help the family's financial problems?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what ways does William become successful?
2. How is Arthur described as being similar to his father?
3. Why doesn't Mrs. Morel accept Mr. Morel's apology for locking her out of the house?
4. Why does Mr. Morel blame Mrs. Morel for their fight?
5. Why is Paul awarded a job in Nottingham?
6. Why doesn't Mrs. Morel like Miriam?
7. Describe the relationship between the Morel family and Lily.
8. Compare the jobs that Paul and William have to that of Mr. Morel and explain why there is such a difference.
9. Why don't Miriam's brothers think that she should learn algebra?
10. What happens in "Paul Launches into Life" that causes Mr. Morel to become physically hurt?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which characters in the novel seem to lack love and validation in their relationships? How do they seek to achieve love and validation?
Essay Topic 2
What is the tone of Sons and Lovers? How does the tone tie into the way the characters develop?
Essay Topic 3
What elements of irony are present in Sons and Lovers?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)