|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who makes the Morel family uncomfortable?
2. Who does Mr. Morel kick out of the house?
3. Which of his children does Mr. Morel bond with the most?
4. How old is Paul when Mrs. Morel gives birth to another child?
5. What do Paul and Annie often present to their mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Mr. Morel's alcohol problem.
2. Why doesn't Mrs. Morel accept Mr. Morel's apology for locking her out of the house?
3. What does the time period of Sons and Lovers tell us about domestic abuse in the novel?
4. Why does Paul pick up his father's paychecks and pay some of the bills?
5. Describe Nottinghamshire and The Bottoms.
6. What causes Mr. and Mrs. Morel's relationship to recover slightly in "The Casting Off of Morel"?
7. Why is Paul awarded a job in Nottingham?
8. In what ways does William become successful?
9. Why don't Miriam's brothers think that she should learn algebra?
10. What are the similarities between Paul and Miriam?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is significant about the novel being written in the third person omniscient point of view? Why does the author choose to write the novel this way?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the family dynamic in the Morel household. Use evidence from the novel to explain what caused the family dynamic and what events are a result of it.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the depiction of sexuality in Sons and Lovers. What made it so controversial when it was published?
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)