|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the midwife who delivers Paul?
2. For what occasion does the Morel family decorate their home?
3. Who occasionally makes Paul feel frustrated?
4. Who does Paul talk about his work to often?
5. What is the name of William's girlfriend?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the similarities between Paul and Miriam?
2. Why does Mr. Morel blame Mrs. Morel for their fight?
3. Why does Paul break Annie's dolls and set them on fire?
4. In what ways does William become successful?
5. Why doesn't Mrs. Morel accept Mr. Morel's apology for locking her out of the house?
6. Compare the jobs that Paul and William have to that of Mr. Morel and explain why there is such a difference.
7. Describe Nottinghamshire and The Bottoms.
8. What causes Mr. and Mrs. Morel's relationship to recover slightly in "The Casting Off of Morel"?
9. Describe the Leiver family.
10. What is Mr. Morel's reaction to Arthur's birth?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose three characters from Sons and Lovers. Define their goals, motivations, and wants. As a result of these aspects of their characterization, how do they interact with other characters?
Essay Topic 2
Are there any characters in the novel who do not have justified actions? Consider Paul adding morphine to his mother's drink, for example. Is he justified in his actions or not?
Essay Topic 3
What is the tone of Sons and Lovers? How does the tone tie into the way the characters develop?
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)