|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Mr. Morel blame his altercation with Mrs. Morel on?
2. What causes William to die?
3. What are the names of the Morel parents?
4. Who meets the Morel's visitor to help carry their belongings?
5. Who actively tries to keep Paul and Miriam apart?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what ways does William become successful?
2. What happens in "Paul Launches into Life" that causes Mr. Morel to become physically hurt?
3. Why does Mrs. Morel dislike William's girlfriend, Lily?
4. Describe the Leiver family.
5. Describe Nottinghamshire and The Bottoms.
6. How is Arthur described as being similar to his father?
7. Compare the jobs that Paul and William have to that of Mr. Morel and explain why there is such a difference.
8. Why does Mr. Morel blame Mrs. Morel for their fight?
9. What is Mr. Morel's reaction to Arthur's birth?
10. What does the time period of Sons and Lovers tell us about domestic abuse in the novel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Mrs. Morel strive to keep her sons Paul and William away from their prospective lovers? Consider the type of woman that Mrs. Morel would approve of for her sons. How does this ideal compare to Mrs. Morel herself?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the ways in which Paul has two contrasting personalities.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the significance of England as a setting in Sons and Lovers. How does the setting play a direct role in the lives of the characters? Could the setting for the novel be another country?
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)