|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mr. Heaton's occupation?
2. Who does Paul talk about his work to often?
3. How many relationships has Paul had before Miriam?
4. Which family member does Paul most resemble?
5. What does Mr. Morel throw at his wife's head?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the relationship between the Morel family and Lily.
2. What causes Mr. and Mrs. Morel's relationship to recover slightly in "The Casting Off of Morel"?
3. Why does Paul break Annie's dolls and set them on fire?
4. What does the time period of Sons and Lovers tell us about domestic abuse in the novel?
5. What is Mr. Morel's reaction to Arthur's birth?
6. Why does Mrs. Morel dislike William's girlfriend, Lily?
7. Why is Paul awarded a job in Nottingham?
8. How is Arthur described as being similar to his father?
9. What happens in "Paul Launches into Life" that causes Mr. Morel to become physically hurt?
10. Describe the Leiver family.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What elements of irony are present in Sons and Lovers?
Essay Topic 2
What is the tone of Sons and Lovers? How does the tone tie into the way the characters develop?
Essay Topic 3
What role does religion play in the novel? Why does the author use religious allusion in descriptions?
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)