|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mr. Morel "defile" William?
2. Who occasionally makes Paul feel frustrated?
3. What is the name of William's sister?
4. What is one thing that Miriam absolutely does not want to be?
5. What second language does Paul speak?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Paul end up deciding against committing suicide?
2. Why don't Miriam's brothers think that she should learn algebra?
3. After Mrs. Morel has died, how does Paul's life change?
4. Why is Paul negative about marriage at the end of the novel?
5. Why does Paul begin avoiding Miriam in the chapter, "Defeat of Miriam"?
6. What is the cause of Paul breaking up with Miriam in the chapter, "The Test on Miriam"?
7. Why has Clara left her husband?
8. In Clara's opinion, what does Paul feel for her?
9. Why does Paul decide that he must break off his relationship with Miriam completely in the chapter, "Defeat of Miriam"?
10. What is Miriam's plan to get Paul back in "Defeat of Miriam"?
Essay Topic 1
Choose three characters from Sons and Lovers. Define their goals, motivations, and wants. As a result of these aspects of their characterization, how do they interact with other characters?
Essay Topic 2
What is significant about the novel being written in the third person omniscient point of view? Why does the author choose to write the novel this way?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Mrs. Morel strive to keep her sons Paul and William away from their prospective lovers? Consider the type of woman that Mrs. Morel would approve of for her sons. How does this ideal compare to Mrs. Morel herself?
This section contains 1,116 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)