|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes William to die?
2. In what season does Paul begin to walk again?
3. How does Mrs. Morel find out that William is sick?
4. Which of the following is a theme in the novel's second chapter?
5. Why doesn't Mrs. Morel want to have a third child?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mrs. Morel dislike William's girlfriend, Lily?
2. Describe the feelings that Paul and Miriam have for each other, and why in "Lad-and-Girl Love".
3. How does Mrs. Morel feel about her baby when it is born?
4. Why does Mr. Morel blame Mrs. Morel for their fight?
5. Why don't Miriam's brothers think that she should learn algebra?
6. Describe Nottinghamshire and The Bottoms.
7. What is Mr. Morel's reaction to Arthur's birth?
8. How is Arthur described as being similar to his father?
9. Compare the jobs that Paul and William have to that of Mr. Morel and explain why there is such a difference.
10. Why is Mr. Morel upset that William has an office job?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What type of foreshadowing is used in the relationship between Paul and Mrs. Morel? What events in the plot are foreshadowed?
Essay Topic 2
What role does religion play in the novel? Why does the author use religious allusion in descriptions?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Paul's attraction to both Miriam and Clara.
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)