|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Mr. Morel blame his altercation with Mrs. Morel on?
2. For what occasion does the Morel family decorate their home?
3. How many times do the Morels hear from William's fiance after he dies?
4. Who is Mr. Pappleworth?
5. Whose mood is Paul closely linked to?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Paul pick up his father's paychecks and pay some of the bills?
2. Compare Paul and Mrs. Morel.
3. Why doesn't Mrs. Morel like Miriam?
4. Why don't Miriam's brothers think that she should learn algebra?
5. How is Arthur described as being similar to his father?
6. In what ways does William become successful?
7. Why is Mr. Morel upset that William has an office job?
8. Compare the jobs that Paul and William have to that of Mr. Morel and explain why there is such a difference.
9. How does Mrs. Morel feel about her baby when it is born?
10. Describe Mr. Morel's alcohol problem.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does Paul's ego play in the novel? How does it affect the plot and his interactions with other characters?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the significance of England as a setting in Sons and Lovers. How does the setting play a direct role in the lives of the characters? Could the setting for the novel be another country?
Essay Topic 3
Why does the author choose to use dialect to convey messages about the characters, location, and time period? How does the dialect contribute to the atmosphere?
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)