|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following contributes to the problems the Morels have with money?
2. What does the Thomas Jordan firm manufacture?
3. What does Mrs. Morel ask Mr. Morel to bring to London when William dies?
4. Who does Paul seem to be following in the footsteps of in Mrs. Morel's eyes?
5. Who is Mr. Pappleworth?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Leiver family.
2. How does Mrs. Morel feel about her baby when it is born?
3. What causes Mr. and Mrs. Morel's relationship to recover slightly in "The Casting Off of Morel"?
4. How is Arthur described as being similar to his father?
5. What is Mr. Morel's reaction to Arthur's birth?
6. Describe Paul's general appearance and personality.
7. Why does Paul break Annie's dolls and set them on fire?
8. What does the time period of Sons and Lovers tell us about domestic abuse in the novel?
9. Why doesn't Mrs. Morel accept Mr. Morel's apology for locking her out of the house?
10. Describe Mr. Morel's alcohol problem.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is significant about the novel being written in the third person omniscient point of view? Why does the author choose to write the novel this way?
Essay Topic 2
What role does Paul's ego play in the novel? How does it affect the plot and his interactions with other characters?
Essay Topic 3
Choose three characters from Sons and Lovers. Define their goals, motivations, and wants. As a result of these aspects of their characterization, how do they interact with other characters?
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)