|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who makes the Morel family uncomfortable?
2. Who does Paul seem to be following in the footsteps of in Mrs. Morel's eyes?
3. Which character is the most proud of William?
4. For what occasion does the Morel family decorate their home?
5. What family member gets pneumonia after William dies?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the feelings that Paul and Miriam have for each other, and why in "Lad-and-Girl Love".
2. Why does Paul break Annie's dolls and set them on fire?
3. Describe Mrs. Morel's reaction to William's death.
4. What are the similarities between Paul and Miriam?
5. In what ways does William become successful?
6. Describe Nottinghamshire and The Bottoms.
7. How is Arthur described as being similar to his father?
8. Why doesn't Mrs. Morel like Miriam?
9. Compare the jobs that Paul and William have to that of Mr. Morel and explain why there is such a difference.
10. What does the time period of Sons and Lovers tell us about domestic abuse in the novel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What elements of irony are present in Sons and Lovers?
Essay Topic 2
Choose three characters from Sons and Lovers. Define their goals, motivations, and wants. As a result of these aspects of their characterization, how do they interact with other characters?
Essay Topic 3
Why does the author choose to use dialect to convey messages about the characters, location, and time period? How does the dialect contribute to the atmosphere?
This section contains 703 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)