|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who makes the Morel family uncomfortable?
2. How does Mrs. Morel find out that William is sick?
3. What keeps the family from starving when Mr. Morel is sick?
4. Which of the following contributes to the problems the Morels have with money?
5. Which of his children does Mr. Morel bond with the most?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't Mrs. Morel accept Mr. Morel's apology for locking her out of the house?
2. Why is Mr. Morel upset that William has an office job?
3. Why isn't Mrs. Morel happy at the beginning of the book?
4. Why is Paul awarded a job in Nottingham?
5. Why does Mrs. Morel dislike William's girlfriend, Lily?
6. How does Mrs. Morel feel about her baby when it is born?
7. Why don't Miriam's brothers think that she should learn algebra?
8. In what ways does William become successful?
9. Describe Mrs. Morel's reaction to William's death.
10. What causes Mr. and Mrs. Morel's relationship to recover slightly in "The Casting Off of Morel"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does Paul's ego play in the novel? How does it affect the plot and his interactions with other characters?
Essay Topic 2
Are there any characters in the novel who do not have justified actions? Consider Paul adding morphine to his mother's drink, for example. Is he justified in his actions or not?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the significance of England as a setting in Sons and Lovers. How does the setting play a direct role in the lives of the characters? Could the setting for the novel be another country?
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)