|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Miriam most drawn to?
2. What are the names of the Morel parents?
3. What is Mr. Heaton's relationship to Paul?
4. How long does the Morel's visitor stay with them?
5. Who is coming to visit the Morel family for the holiday?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Mrs. Morel's reaction to William's death.
2. Describe Paul's general appearance and personality.
3. Why doesn't Mrs. Morel accept Mr. Morel's apology for locking her out of the house?
4. Describe the Leiver family.
5. Compare the jobs that Paul and William have to that of Mr. Morel and explain why there is such a difference.
6. In what ways does William become successful?
7. Describe the feelings that Paul and Miriam have for each other, and why in "Lad-and-Girl Love".
8. Compare Paul and Mrs. Morel.
9. What causes Mr. and Mrs. Morel's relationship to recover slightly in "The Casting Off of Morel"?
10. Why doesn't Mrs. Morel like Miriam?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which characters in the novel seem to lack love and validation in their relationships? How do they seek to achieve love and validation?
Essay Topic 2
What role does Paul's ego play in the novel? How does it affect the plot and his interactions with other characters?
Essay Topic 3
What is the tone of Sons and Lovers? How does the tone tie into the way the characters develop?
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)