|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mrs. Morel find out that William is sick?
2. What keeps the family from starving when Mr. Morel is sick?
3. Where does Mr. Morel begin to spend more time to avoid Mrs. Morel?
4. What item does Paul exhibit violent behavior on?
5. In the town that the Morels live in, what is the main industry?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the relationship between the Morel family and Lily.
2. Why doesn't Mrs. Morel get any help from her in-laws?
3. Why does Mr. Morel blame Mrs. Morel for their fight?
4. Describe the Leiver family.
5. What happens in "Paul Launches into Life" that causes Mr. Morel to become physically hurt?
6. What causes Mr. and Mrs. Morel's relationship to recover slightly in "The Casting Off of Morel"?
7. Why is Mr. Morel upset that William has an office job?
8. What are the similarities between Paul and Miriam?
9. Describe Mrs. Morel's reaction to William's death.
10. Why isn't Mrs. Morel happy at the beginning of the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Paul's attraction to both Miriam and Clara.
Essay Topic 2
How is class structure an important theme in the novel? What part of the class structure is each character a part of, and why?
Essay Topic 3
Which characters in the novel seem to lack love and validation in their relationships? How do they seek to achieve love and validation?
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)