|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of William's girlfriend?
2. Who actively tries to keep Paul and Miriam apart?
3. From where does Mr. Morel steal money?
4. Who does Paul seem to be following in the footsteps of in Mrs. Morel's eyes?
5. Which character is the most proud of William?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Paul's general appearance and personality.
2. Describe Nottinghamshire and The Bottoms.
3. Why does Mrs. Morel dislike William's girlfriend, Lily?
4. What happens in "Paul Launches into Life" that causes Mr. Morel to become physically hurt?
5. Why does Mr. Morel blame Mrs. Morel for their fight?
6. Describe Mr. Morel's alcohol problem.
7. Why does Paul pick up his father's paychecks and pay some of the bills?
8. What are the similarities between Paul and Miriam?
9. Describe Mrs. Morel's reaction to William's death.
10. Why doesn't Mrs. Morel accept Mr. Morel's apology for locking her out of the house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Mrs. Morel strive to keep her sons Paul and William away from their prospective lovers? Consider the type of woman that Mrs. Morel would approve of for her sons. How does this ideal compare to Mrs. Morel herself?
Essay Topic 2
What type of foreshadowing is used in the relationship between Paul and Mrs. Morel? What events in the plot are foreshadowed?
Essay Topic 3
What role does religion play in the novel? Why does the author use religious allusion in descriptions?
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)