|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what occasion does the Morel family decorate their home?
2. How old is Paul when Mrs. Morel gives birth to another child?
3. What is said to have saved Mrs. Morel from depression after William's death?
4. What does Mrs. Morel ask Mr. Morel to bring to London when William dies?
5. Which of his children does Mr. Morel bond with the most?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Mr. Morel upset that William has an office job?
2. What is Mr. Morel's reaction to Arthur's birth?
3. Why does Paul break Annie's dolls and set them on fire?
4. What causes Mr. and Mrs. Morel's relationship to recover slightly in "The Casting Off of Morel"?
5. Why doesn't Mrs. Morel accept Mr. Morel's apology for locking her out of the house?
6. Why does Mrs. Morel dislike William's girlfriend, Lily?
7. Why isn't Mrs. Morel happy at the beginning of the book?
8. Why doesn't Mrs. Morel get any help from her in-laws?
9. Why don't Miriam's brothers think that she should learn algebra?
10. Describe Mr. Morel's alcohol problem.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of the title Sons and Lovers to the novel's plot?
Essay Topic 2
What is significant about the novel being written in the third person omniscient point of view? Why does the author choose to write the novel this way?
Essay Topic 3
D. H. Lawrence uses a literary reference to Edgar Allen Poe in Sons and Lovers. What is the purpose of using this particular literary reference? How does it contribute to the novel?
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)