|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the family's visitor arrive in their town?
2. What item does Paul exhibit violent behavior on?
3. Where does William go when he is offered a job?
4. Who does Mrs. Morel dote on the least?
5. Who disapproves of Miriam learning algebra?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Paul's feelings when he is at the seaside?
2. How is Arthur described as being similar to his father?
3. What does Clara convince Paul about Miriam in the chapter, "Clara"?
4. How is Mrs. Morel's health related to Paul's emotions?
5. Why is Paul negative about marriage at the end of the novel?
6. Why does Mrs. Morel blame the burned bread on Miriam's presence at the house?
7. Why does Paul consider suicide?
8. Why and how does Clara's mother confide in Paul?
9. In what ways does William become successful?
10. Compare Paul and Mrs. Morel.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the family dynamic in the Morel household. Use evidence from the novel to explain what caused the family dynamic and what events are a result of it.
Essay Topic 2
What is significant about the novel being written in the third person omniscient point of view? Why does the author choose to write the novel this way?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the depiction of sexuality in Sons and Lovers. What made it so controversial when it was published?
This section contains 1,110 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)