|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes William to die?
2. How does Mrs. Morel find out that William is sick?
3. Which family member does Paul most resemble?
4. Where does William go when he is offered a job?
5. What family member gets pneumonia after William dies?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mr. Morel blame Mrs. Morel for their fight?
2. Why don't Miriam's brothers think that she should learn algebra?
3. Describe Mr. Morel's alcohol problem.
4. Describe Paul's general appearance and personality.
5. Why does Paul pick up his father's paychecks and pay some of the bills?
6. Why is Mr. Morel upset that William has an office job?
7. Describe the Leiver family.
8. Why isn't Mrs. Morel happy at the beginning of the book?
9. Describe Mrs. Morel's reaction to William's death.
10. Describe the relationship between the Morel family and Lily.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
D. H. Lawrence uses a literary reference to Edgar Allen Poe in Sons and Lovers. What is the purpose of using this particular literary reference? How does it contribute to the novel?
Essay Topic 2
What is the tone of Sons and Lovers? How does the tone tie into the way the characters develop?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Paul's attraction to both Miriam and Clara.
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)