|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What offends Mrs. Morel about the photograph that William sends her?
2. Who fully supports another character's job as a clerk?
3. In the beginning, what year does the novel take place?
4. Why doesn't Mrs. Morel accept an apology from Mr. Morel?
5. What is the name of Paul's neighborhood?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what ways does William become successful?
2. Why does Paul pick up his father's paychecks and pay some of the bills?
3. Compare the jobs that Paul and William have to that of Mr. Morel and explain why there is such a difference.
4. Compare Paul and Mrs. Morel.
5. Why isn't Mrs. Morel happy at the beginning of the book?
6. Why does Mrs. Morel dislike William's girlfriend, Lily?
7. Why don't Miriam's brothers think that she should learn algebra?
8. What are the similarities between Paul and Miriam?
9. Why doesn't Mrs. Morel accept Mr. Morel's apology for locking her out of the house?
10. Why doesn't Mrs. Morel like Miriam?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does religion play in the novel? Why does the author use religious allusion in descriptions?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the relationship between Mr. and Mrs. Morel and their children. Use evidence to support your beliefs about why their relationships are this way.
Essay Topic 3
What is the tone of Sons and Lovers? How does the tone tie into the way the characters develop?
This section contains 688 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)