|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Mr. Pappleworth?
2. Who gets angry about another character working as a clerk?
3. What does Paul teach Miriam first?
4. Around the holiday, what does Mrs. Morel spend a lot of time doing?
5. What is the name of Paul's neighborhood?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Mr. Morel's alcohol problem.
2. In what ways does William become successful?
3. What does the time period of Sons and Lovers tell us about domestic abuse in the novel?
4. Why don't Miriam's brothers think that she should learn algebra?
5. Why is Mr. Morel upset that William has an office job?
6. Why is Paul awarded a job in Nottingham?
7. Describe Nottinghamshire and The Bottoms.
8. How does Mrs. Morel feel about her baby when it is born?
9. Why doesn't Mrs. Morel accept Mr. Morel's apology for locking her out of the house?
10. Describe the relationship between the Morel family and Lily.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does religion play in the novel? Why does the author use religious allusion in descriptions?
Essay Topic 2
Choose three characters from Sons and Lovers. Define their goals, motivations, and wants. As a result of these aspects of their characterization, how do they interact with other characters?
Essay Topic 3
Which characters in the novel seem to lack love and validation in their relationships? How do they seek to achieve love and validation?
This section contains 634 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)