|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the beginning, what year does the novel take place?
2. Which of the following best describes Mr. Morel's demeanor?
3. Which family member does Paul most resemble?
4. What family member gets pneumonia after William dies?
5. Who does Mrs.Morel send Arthur to live with?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Mrs. Morel's reaction to William's death.
2. In what ways does William become successful?
3. Why does Mrs. Morel dislike William's girlfriend, Lily?
4. What causes Mr. and Mrs. Morel's relationship to recover slightly in "The Casting Off of Morel"?
5. Why is Paul awarded a job in Nottingham?
6. Why isn't Mrs. Morel happy at the beginning of the book?
7. Describe the relationship between the Morel family and Lily.
8. How is Arthur described as being similar to his father?
9. Why does Paul pick up his father's paychecks and pay some of the bills?
10. Describe Paul's general appearance and personality.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the depiction of sexuality in Sons and Lovers. What made it so controversial when it was published?
Essay Topic 2
D. H. Lawrence uses a literary reference to Edgar Allen Poe in Sons and Lovers. What is the purpose of using this particular literary reference? How does it contribute to the novel?
Essay Topic 3
What is significant about the novel being written in the third person omniscient point of view? Why does the author choose to write the novel this way?
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)