|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which family member does Paul most resemble?
2. Who disapproves of Miriam learning algebra?
3. Around the holiday, what does Mrs. Morel spend a lot of time doing?
4. What does Mr. Morel injure?
5. How many relationships has Miriam had before Paul?
Short Essay Questions
1. Compare Paul and Mrs. Morel.
2. Why does Paul consider suicide?
3. Why doesn't Mrs. Morel get any help from her in-laws?
4. After Mrs. Morel has died, how does Paul's life change?
5. Why does Paul have low self-esteem?
6. Why isn't Mrs. Morel happy at the beginning of the book?
7. Describe the feelings that Paul and Miriam have for each other, and why in "Lad-and-Girl Love".
8. Compare the jobs that Paul and William have to that of Mr. Morel and explain why there is such a difference.
9. Who does Paul love in the chapter, "Baxter Dawes"?
10. Why is Paul awarded a job in Nottingham?
Essay Topic 1
Describe the ways in which Paul has two contrasting personalities.
Essay Topic 2
What role does Paul's ego play in the novel? How does it affect the plot and his interactions with other characters?
Essay Topic 3
D. H. Lawrence uses a literary reference to Edgar Allen Poe in Sons and Lovers. What is the purpose of using this particular literary reference? How does it contribute to the novel?
This section contains 1,084 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)