Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mr. Morel "defile" William?
2. Who occasionally makes Paul feel frustrated?
3. What is the name of William's sister?
4. What is one thing that Miriam absolutely does not want to be?
5. What second language does Paul speak?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Paul end up deciding against committing suicide?
2. Why don't Miriam's brothers think that she should learn algebra?
3. After Mrs. Morel has died, how does Paul's life change?
4. Why is Paul negative about marriage at the end of the novel?
5. Why does Paul begin avoiding Miriam in the chapter, "Defeat of Miriam"?
6. What is the cause of Paul breaking up with Miriam in the chapter, "The Test on Miriam"?
7. Why has Clara left her husband?
8. In Clara's opinion, what does Paul feel for her?
9. Why does Paul decide that he must break off his relationship with Miriam completely in the chapter, "Defeat of Miriam"?
10. What is Miriam's plan to get Paul back in "Defeat of Miriam"?
Describe the significance of England as a setting in Sons and Lovers. How does the setting play a direct role in the lives of the characters? Could the setting for the novel be another country?
Are there any characters in the novel who do not have justified actions? Consider Paul adding morphine to his mother's drink, for example. Is he justified in his actions or not?
D. H. Lawrence uses a literary reference to Edgar Allen Poe in Sons and Lovers. What is the purpose of using this particular literary reference? How does it contribute to the novel?
This section contains 706 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)