|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Mrs. Morel's 4th child?
2. How long does the Morel's visitor stay with them?
3. What is said to have saved Mrs. Morel from depression after William's death?
4. How many relationships has Paul had before Miriam?
5. How far into her marriage does Mrs. Morel stop loving her husband?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why don't Miriam's brothers think that she should learn algebra?
2. Why isn't Mrs. Morel happy at the beginning of the book?
3. Describe Mrs. Morel's reaction to William's death.
4. Describe the feelings that Paul and Miriam have for each other, and why in "Lad-and-Girl Love".
5. Describe Mr. Morel's alcohol problem.
6. Why does Mrs. Morel dislike William's girlfriend, Lily?
7. Why does Paul pick up his father's paychecks and pay some of the bills?
8. How is Arthur described as being similar to his father?
9. What is Mr. Morel's reaction to Arthur's birth?
10. Describe Paul's general appearance and personality.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the tone of Sons and Lovers? How does the tone tie into the way the characters develop?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the significance of England as a setting in Sons and Lovers. How does the setting play a direct role in the lives of the characters? Could the setting for the novel be another country?
Essay Topic 3
Which characters in the novel seem to lack love and validation in their relationships? How do they seek to achieve love and validation?
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)