|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the first to notice Mrs. Morel's health issues?
(b) Mr. Morel.
2. What are Miriam and Paul doing when they kiss for the first time?
(a) Eating dinner.
(b) Studying Latin.
(c) Studying French.
(d) Going for a walk.
3. Which character feels sorry for Clara in the chapter "Passion"?
(c) Mrs. Morel.
4. What is the name of the village girl who arrives and distracts Paul and Miriam at the Morel home?
5. Why does Paul take Mrs. Morel to the city?
(a) To shop.
(b) To see a distant cousin.
(c) To go to a doctor's appointment.
(d) To see Arthur.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who invites Paul to see Sarah Bernhardt?
2. How does Paul break up with Miriam?
3. How many guineas does Paul's exhibition work sell for?
4. On what day does Clara join Paul's family for tea?
5. What does Paul put in Mrs. Morel's drink to cause her to die?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Paul have low self-esteem?
2. What does Clara convince Paul about Miriam in the chapter, "Clara"?
3. Why does Paul decide that he must break off his relationship with Miriam completely in the chapter, "Defeat of Miriam"?
4. In Clara's opinion, what does Paul feel for her?
5. What are the results of Paul's first place win at the art exhibition?
6. What are Paul's feelings when he is at the seaside?
7. How is Mrs. Morel's health related to Paul's emotions?
8. How does Miriam react to Paul's discussion of marriage in the chapter, "The Test on Miriam"?
9. Why is Paul attracted to Clara?
10. Who does Paul love in the chapter, "Baxter Dawes"?
This section contains 688 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)