|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Between which couple is validation lacking the most?
(a) Mr. and Mrs. Morel.
(b) Annie and her boyfriend.
(c) Arthur and his girlfriend.
(d) Miriam and Paul.
2. Which character believes that Paul doesn't fully love her?
(a) Clara and Miriam.
(c) Mrs. Morel.
3. What hope does Mrs. Morel have for Arthur when she sees how he behaves?
(a) That he will get married and start a family.
(b) That he will get a job.
(c) That he will never marry.
(d) That he will mature.
4. What is the name of the village girl who arrives and distracts Paul and Miriam at the Morel home?
5. Who does Paul give the money from selling his work at the exhibition?
(a) Mrs. Morel.
(d) Mr. Morel.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Release", which character is put in the hospital?
2. How old is Clara?
3. What is the name of Arthur's girlfriend?
4. How long has Miriam known Paul in "Passion"?
5. How does Clara react to Baxter getting out of the hospital?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Paul decide that he must break off his relationship with Miriam completely in the chapter, "Defeat of Miriam"?
2. Describe Clara Dawes when Paul meets her for the first time.
3. Why does D. H. Lawrence build sexual tension between Paul and Clara?
4. In "The Test on Miriam", why does Paul increase his level of courtship with Miriam?
5. What is the cause of Paul breaking up with Miriam in the chapter, "The Test on Miriam"?
6. Why does Paul begin avoiding Miriam in the chapter, "Defeat of Miriam"?
7. What is Miriam's plan to get Paul back in "Defeat of Miriam"?
8. What causes Clara to feel concern for Baxter Dawes?
9. How does Paul change as Mrs. Morel gets sicker in the chapter, "The Release"?
10. How is Mrs. Morel's health related to Paul's emotions?
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)