|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Mrs. Morel blame for the food in the oven being burnt?
(a) Mr. Morel.
(d) The village girl.
2. What hope does Mrs. Morel have for Arthur when she sees how he behaves?
(a) That he will get a job.
(b) That he will never marry.
(c) That he will get married and start a family.
(d) That he will mature.
3. Who must Paul limit his time with in order to care for Mrs. Morel?
(d) Mr. Morel.
4. When Paul and Miriam are distracted by the village girl, what burns in the oven?
(d) Pot roast.
5. How many years older is Clara than Paul?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character believes that Paul doesn't fully love her?
2. Which of the following words does Paul use to describe Miriam to Clara?
3. Who advises Paul to begin carrying a weapon?
4. What drives Clara away from Paul?
5. How long has Miriam known Paul in "Passion"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mr. Morel eat dinner before seeing the body of his dead wife?
2. What are Paul's feelings when he is at the seaside?
3. What is Miriam's plan to get Paul back in "Defeat of Miriam"?
4. Why does Paul have low self-esteem?
5. How is Mrs. Morel's health related to Paul's emotions?
6. Why does Miriam believe that Paul has broken up with her?
7. Why does Paul decide that he must break off his relationship with Miriam completely in the chapter, "Defeat of Miriam"?
8. Who does Paul love in the chapter, "Baxter Dawes"?
9. Why has Clara left her husband?
10. How does Paul change as Mrs. Morel gets sicker in the chapter, "The Release"?
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)