|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much time do Miriam and Paul spend together when Miriam takes care of her grandmother?
(a) 3 days.
(b) 1 week.
(c) 1 day.
(d) 2 weeks.
2. Who advises Paul to begin carrying a weapon?
(a) Mrs. Morel.
(c) Mr. Morel.
3. What hope does Mrs. Morel have for Arthur when she sees how he behaves?
(a) That he will never marry.
(b) That he will mature.
(c) That he will get married and start a family.
(d) That he will get a job.
4. What does Clara make Paul consider?
(a) That he's wrong about Miriam.
(b) That Paul should date her.
(c) That Paul is too good for Miriam.
(d) That he's right about Miriam.
5. Who does Paul give the money from selling his work at the exhibition?
(a) Mr. Morel.
(c) Mrs. Morel.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Paul visit in Sheffield?
2. When Paul tells Miriam he wants to spend less time with her after discussing marriage for the first time, how does Miriam feel?
3. Which of the following words does Paul use to describe Miriam to Clara?
4. Who invites Paul to see Sarah Bernhardt?
5. Who is the most upset about Paul staying the night at Clara's home?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Miriam react to Paul's discussion of marriage in the chapter, "The Test on Miriam"?
2. Why does Paul decide that he must break off his relationship with Miriam completely in the chapter, "Defeat of Miriam"?
3. How is Mrs. Morel's health related to Paul's emotions?
4. Who does Paul love in the chapter, "Baxter Dawes"?
5. Why and how does Clara's mother confide in Paul?
6. What does Clara convince Paul about Miriam in the chapter, "Clara"?
7. Describe Clara Dawes when Paul meets her for the first time.
8. What does Mrs. Morel think about Clara?
9. Why does Mr. Morel eat dinner before seeing the body of his dead wife?
10. How does Paul change as Mrs. Morel gets sicker in the chapter, "The Release"?
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)