|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Mr. Heaton's relationship to Paul?
2. Why doesn't Mrs. Morel accept an apology from Mr. Morel?
(a) She wants him to feel bad about everything he's done.
(b) She wants to get a divorce.
(c) She knows he will behave badly again.
(d) She doesn't accept apologies from anybody.
3. When Paul feels frustrated, who does he avoid?
(b) Mrs. Morel.
(c) Mr. Morel.
4. For what occasion does the Morel family decorate their home?
5. Who fully supports another character's job as a clerk?
(b) Mr. Morel.
(d) Mrs. Morel.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does William go when he is offered a job?
2. Which of the following contributes to the problems the Morels have with money?
3. What family member gets pneumonia after William dies?
4. What causes William to die?
5. How does Mrs. Morel find out that William is sick?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Mr. Morel's alcohol problem.
2. Compare the jobs that Paul and William have to that of Mr. Morel and explain why there is such a difference.
3. Why is Paul awarded a job in Nottingham?
4. Compare Paul and Mrs. Morel.
5. Why isn't Mrs. Morel happy at the beginning of the book?
6. In what ways does William become successful?
7. Why does Paul pick up his father's paychecks and pay some of the bills?
8. Describe the feelings that Paul and Miriam have for each other, and why in "Lad-and-Girl Love".
9. What does the time period of Sons and Lovers tell us about domestic abuse in the novel?
10. Why does Mr. Morel blame Mrs. Morel for their fight?
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)