|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of Paul's neighborhood?
(a) The Middles.
(b) The Bottoms.
(c) The Tops.
(d) The Sides.
2. Which of his children does Mr. Morel bond with the most?
(a) His second.
(b) His third.
(c) His first.
(d) His fourth.
3. Who occasionally makes Paul feel frustrated?
(c) Mrs. Morel.
4. Whose mood is Paul closely linked to?
(b) Mrs. Morel.
(d) Mr. Morel.
5. What offends Mrs. Morel about the photograph that William sends her?
(a) His girlfriend's bare shoulders.
(b) His clothing.
(c) His elaborate home.
(d) His expensive shoes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Thomas Jordan firm manufacture?
2. What second language does Paul speak?
3. How long does the Morel's visitor stay with them?
4. Why doesn't Mrs. Morel accept an apology from Mr. Morel?
5. In the beginning, what year does the novel take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens in "Paul Launches into Life" that causes Mr. Morel to become physically hurt?
2. Why does Paul pick up his father's paychecks and pay some of the bills?
3. Why doesn't Mrs. Morel get any help from her in-laws?
4. What causes Mr. and Mrs. Morel's relationship to recover slightly in "The Casting Off of Morel"?
5. Why does Mr. Morel blame Mrs. Morel for their fight?
6. What does the time period of Sons and Lovers tell us about domestic abuse in the novel?
7. Why isn't Mrs. Morel happy at the beginning of the book?
8. What are the similarities between Paul and Miriam?
9. Why does Mrs. Morel dislike William's girlfriend, Lily?
10. Describe Mr. Morel's alcohol problem.
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)