|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who teaches Paul a second language?
(a) Mrs. Morel.
(b) Mr. Heaton.
(c) Mr. Morel.
2. Which character is the most proud of William?
(b) Mrs. Morel.
(c) Mr. Morel.
(d) William's girlfriend.
3. How does Mr. Morel "defile" William?
(a) He lets William drink alcohol.
(b) He lets William run around in his pajamas.
(c) He cuts William's hair.
(d) He forgets to brush William's teeth.
4. Who does Mrs.Morel send Arthur to live with?
(a) Mr. Morel's mother.
(b) Mr. Morel's sister.
(c) Mrs. Morel's mother.
(d) Mrs. Morel's sister.
5. When the novel begins, how long have the Morels been married?
(a) 5 years.
(b) 3 years.
(c) 8 years.
(d) 20 years.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't Mrs. Morel accept an apology from Mr. Morel?
2. What is Mr. Heaton's occupation?
3. Where do the girls that Paul makes friends with work?
4. Who does Mr. Morel kick out of the house?
5. What is one thing that Miriam absolutely does not want to be?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Leiver family.
2. In Clara's opinion, what does Paul feel for her?
3. Why is Paul attracted to Clara?
4. How does Miriam react to Paul's discussion of marriage in the chapter, "The Test on Miriam"?
5. What are the similarities between Paul and Miriam?
6. After Mrs. Morel has died, how does Paul's life change?
7. Why does Mrs. Morel blame the burned bread on Miriam's presence at the house?
8. Why is Mr. Morel upset that William has an office job?
9. Why does Paul end up deciding against committing suicide?
10. What is Miriam's plan to get Paul back in "Defeat of Miriam"?
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)