|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who disapproves of Miriam learning algebra?
(b) Miriam's father.
(c) Miriam's brothers.
(d) Mrs. Morel.
2. How does Mrs. Morel find out that William is sick?
(b) Telephone call.
(d) Word of mouth.
3. Where is Mr. Morel when Paul is born?
(a) At a friend's house.
(b) At the bar.
(c) At church.
(d) At work.
4. Who occasionally makes Paul feel frustrated?
(c) Mrs. Morel.
5. How many relationships has Miriam had before Paul?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character is the most proud of William?
2. Who fully supports another character's job as a clerk?
3. What offends Mrs. Morel about the photograph that William sends her?
4. In what season did Mr. and Mrs. Morel meet?
5. How old is Paul when Mrs. Morel gives birth to another child?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Paul attracted to Clara?
2. Why does Paul decide that he must break off his relationship with Miriam completely in the chapter, "Defeat of Miriam"?
3. Why doesn't Mrs. Morel get any help from her in-laws?
4. Why is Paul negative about marriage at the end of the novel?
5. Describe Mr. Morel's alcohol problem.
6. What is Miriam's plan to get Paul back in "Defeat of Miriam"?
7. Why has Clara left her husband?
8. Why and how does Clara's mother confide in Paul?
9. In "The Test on Miriam", why does Paul increase his level of courtship with Miriam?
10. Describe the relationship between the Morel family and Lily.
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)