|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who invites Paul to see Sarah Bernhardt?
(a) Clara's mother.
(c) Mrs. Morel.
2. Why does Miriam go to her grandmother's home to stay for a while?
(a) Her parents have found out that she has kissed Paul.
(b) Her brothers send her away.
(c) Her grandmother is sick.
(d) Her grandfather has just died.
3. Why does Mrs. Morel approve of Annie's marriage?
(a) Annie is very devoted to Leonard.
(b) Annie is pregnant.
(c) Leonard is very devoted to Annie.
(d) Leonard is rich.
4. Why does Miriam believe that Paul wants to spend less time with her after discussing marriage?
(a) Mrs. Morel has influenced Paul.
(b) Clara has influenced Paul.
(c) Paul has fallen in love with somebody else.
(d) Clara has seduced Paul.
5. How does Mrs. Morel feel when Paul says he is going to spend less time with Miriam?
6. What does Paul put in Mrs. Morel's drink to cause her to die?
(d) Spoiled milk.
7. What do Clara and her mother do for a living?
(a) Alter clothing.
8. What does Paul think Mrs. Morel's dead body looks like?
(a) An old lady.
(b) A young girl.
(c) A happy woman.
(d) A sad housewife.
9. What is Mrs. Morel's nightly drink?
10. What does Miriam say to Paul about marriage when they visit at her grandmother's cottage?
(a) That she is too young to marry.
(b) That she wants to marry somebody else.
(c) That she would rather have a career.
(d) That she and Paul do not belong together.
11. Where does Baxter move?
(d) The United States.
12. When Paul and Miriam are distracted by the village girl, what burns in the oven?
(b) Pot roast.
13. Why does Paul take Mrs. Morel to the city?
(a) To see Arthur.
(b) To see a distant cousin.
(c) To shop.
(d) To go to a doctor's appointment.
14. Which character believes that Paul doesn't fully love her?
(c) Clara and Miriam.
(d) Mrs. Morel.
15. Why does Arthur get married?
(a) He is worried he will be poor otherwise.
(b) His girlfriend is pregnant.
(c) His girlfriend's family threatens him.
(d) He has always wanted to get married.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Mrs. Morel blame for the food in the oven being burnt?
2. What does Paul begin to teach Miriam despite the fact that he doesn't want to spend more time with her?
3. What is causing Mrs. Morel's illness?
4. Who beats up Paul in Nottingham?
5. Who wakes Paul up the morning after he spends the night at Clara's home?
This section contains 435 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)