|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Mrs.Morel send Arthur to live with?
(a) Mrs. Morel's mother.
(b) Mr. Morel's mother.
(c) Mrs. Morel's sister.
(d) Mr. Morel's sister.
2. Who gets angry about another character working as a clerk?
(a) Mrs. Morel.
(b) Mr. Morel.
3. How does Mrs. Morel find out that William is sick?
(c) Telephone call.
(d) Word of mouth.
4. Where is Mr. Morel when Paul is born?
(a) At work.
(b) At church.
(c) At a friend's house.
(d) At the bar.
5. Where does William go when he is offered a job?
(b) The United States of America.
(c) A village.
6. What causes William to die?
(b) A wound from an animal.
(c) Scarlet fever.
(d) Ear infection.
7. Whose mood is Paul closely linked to?
(b) Mrs. Morel.
(d) Mr. Morel.
8. How old is Paul when Mrs. Morel gives birth to another child?
(a) 9 months.
(b) 12 months.
(c) 24 months.
(d) 18 months.
9. What is said to have saved Mrs. Morel from depression after William's death?
(a) Annie's love life.
(b) Paul's love life.
(c) Paul's illness.
(d) Mr. Morel's illness.
10. Which of the following is a theme in the novel's second chapter?
(a) The effects of alcoholism on children.
(b) Domestic abuse.
(c) The death of a parent.
(d) The effects of poverty.
11. What does Mr. Morel steal money for?
(c) A birthday gift.
(d) A gift to make Mrs. Morel happy.
12. What is the name of Paul's neighborhood?
(a) The Bottoms.
(b) The Tops.
(c) The Middles.
(d) The Sides.
13. What family member gets pneumonia after William dies?
(a) Mr. Morel.
(c) Mrs. Morel.
14. What does Mrs. Morel think about Miriam?
(a) She's unworthy.
(b) She's attractive.
(c) She's indecent.
(d) She's very intelligent.
15. What keeps the family from starving when Mr. Morel is sick?
(a) A donation from the church.
(b) Mrs. Morel gets a job.
(c) The children beg for food.
(d) Help from friends and neighbors.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of his children does Mr. Morel bond with the most?
2. Why does the relationship between Mr. and Mrs. Morel improve when he heals?
3. What does Mr. Morel injure?
4. Who makes the Morel family uncomfortable?
5. What are the names of the Morel parents?
This section contains 381 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)