|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the family take its weekly drive?
2. The purpose of Guitar's organization is to kill _______ white person(s) for each black person that is killed at the hands of a white person
3. Who is the drunk and crazy tenant that waves around a shotgun and a wad of cash?
4. Where does Milkman find Guitar?
5. Who does Macon talk about in order to distract Milkman from his other questions?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does First Corinthians' job mean to her?
2. Why is Guitar having troubles with his assignment with The Seven Days?
3. What is the setup of The Seven Days? How does it work?
4. What is Hagar's reaction to Milkman's breakup letter?
5. What does Milkman tell Pilate about the bones she found in the cave?
6. What breaks Hagar from her three day trance?
7. What happened to Sing according to Susan?
8. Why does Milkman decide to travel to Danville?
9. What are Pilate and Milkman supposed to do with the bones Pilate found in the cave?
10. Why does Milkman receive a much different reception when he enters the General Store the second time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Seven Days organization is one that seems to be based on the idea of revenge, rather than making things better. Morrison has created a system that seems to be evil, though a reader can understand the frustration.
Part 1 - Describe The Seven Days organization, what it does, and how it does it.
Part 2 - Name the characters who are in the organization as well as the days they are assigned to, if mentioned in the book.
Part 3 - Do you believe there are organizations that exist in this world like The Seven Days? Why or why not?
Part 4 - Are the members of The Seven Days bad people? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Pilate does something shocking when Milkman returns from speaking to Susan Byrd about Sing and his family. The reader is shocked at this point, but there is method to the madness.
Part 1 - What does Pilate do upon Milkman's arrival? What does this seem to say about Pilate's opinion of Milkman's actions?
Part 2 - Why does Pilate change her mind so quickly about Milkman's situation? What does this say about Pilate?
Part 3 - Why do you think Milkman is so certain Pilate will not kill him?
Essay Topic 3
There is a lot of foreshadowing in this novel, though it's not always clear at the time. Morrison's use of these 'hints' helps a reader see that the story is moving in the direction it says it is, even when it seems like the characters are unpredictable.
Part 1 - Describe three instances of foreshadowing in the story.
Part 2 - Why do you think Pilate is the character who is able to give the other characters many of the foreshadowing hints?
Part 3 - What does foreshadowing do for this story? Does it help the characters or does it hurt them? How?
This section contains 819 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)