|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of these names does not belong in the Dead family?
2. How old is Milkman's best friend when they are first said to be friends?
3. Who is the first woman to deliver a 'colored baby' at Mercy Hospital?
4. Why does Milkman do things to be unlike his father?
5. To where do Macon and Pilate escape instead of staying in their hiding place?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Hagar's reaction to Milkman's breakup letter?
2. What does Pilate do when she realizes Guitar and Milkman have stolen the green bag?
3. What is the setup of The Seven Days? How does it work?
4. What is the result of Robert Smith's 'flight' from the top of Mercy Hospital?
5. What is Guitar's idea for stealing the green bag from Pilate's house?
6. What does Milkman do for his father in the rental business?
7. What does Milkman's friend, Guitar, talk him into that is forbidden by Milkman's father?
8. How does Hagar get the money to buy things to make herself pretty?
9. Why doesn't Solomon bring Jake to Africa with him?
10. What are some of Milkman's first impressions of the Butler house when he arrives?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pilate does something shocking when Milkman returns from speaking to Susan Byrd about Sing and his family. The reader is shocked at this point, but there is method to the madness.
Part 1 - What does Pilate do upon Milkman's arrival? What does this seem to say about Pilate's opinion of Milkman's actions?
Part 2 - Why does Pilate change her mind so quickly about Milkman's situation? What does this say about Pilate?
Part 3 - Why do you think Milkman is so certain Pilate will not kill him?
Essay Topic 2
Names seem to be a significant part of this novel, giving the reader insights into the characters, their personalities and their motivations.
Part 1 - Name five characters and describe why you feel Morrison chose their names.
Part 2 - With these five names, are there any that don't seem to be appropriate for the characters? Why or why not?
Part 3 - Do you feel the Biblical names have any further significance in this story? What sets those characters apart from the others?
Part 4 - Some characters have more than one name. Please name these.
Essay Topic 3
There is a lot of foreshadowing in this novel, though it's not always clear at the time. Morrison's use of these 'hints' helps a reader see that the story is moving in the direction it says it is, even when it seems like the characters are unpredictable.
Part 1 - Describe three instances of foreshadowing in the story.
Part 2 - Why do you think Pilate is the character who is able to give the other characters many of the foreshadowing hints?
Part 3 - What does foreshadowing do for this story? Does it help the characters or does it hurt them? How?
This section contains 2,446 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)