|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Milkman realize as Hagar tries to kill him and fails?
2. Who is Milkman's best friend?
3. The person who is killed in Guitar's organization must be killed in a ______ way to that of the original murder.
4. Who is the first woman to deliver a 'colored baby' at Mercy Hospital?
5. What is Hagar's relationship to Milkman?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Hagar's reaction to Milkman's breakup letter?
2. Who are the women that sing together that have such beautiful voices?
3. What does First Corinthians' job mean to her?
4. What is the result of Robert Smith's 'flight' from the top of Mercy Hospital?
5. What idea does Macon resist when talking to Milkman?
6. Why does Guitar leave Milkman alone, even though Guitar is certain Hagar is coming to kill him?
7. What is the dream the Milkman has once Guitar leaves?
8. What does Milkman do to prove he is nothing like his father?
9. What does the Dead family do on Sunday afternoons?
10. Which of the children actually enjoy the ritual in which the Dead family takes part on Sunday afternoons?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The women in this story seem to be quite different, especially those in Milkman's life. Through his interactions with women, he becomes the man he grows up to be.
Part 1 - Describe the relationship between Milkman and Ruth.
Part 2 - Describe the relationship between Milkman and Pilate
Part 3 - Of these two relationships, which one seems to affect Milkman the most?
Part 4 - What is the relationship between the two women? Does this affect Milkman?
Essay Topic 2
There are several characters who have physical flaws that seem to be symbolic of their character and of their roles in the novel.
Part 1 - What do you feel Pilate's lack of a navel represents in the context of this novel? What does this say about her as a person?
Part 2 - What do you feel Milkman's limp has to say about him? What does it cause him to do?
Part 3 - Do you feel that physical flaws can alter the personality of a person or is it the other way around? Support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
There are a number of images - ghosts, peacocks, cedar tree, etc. - that seem to pop up in this novel as symbols for something greater in terms of the novel's message.
Part 1 - List at least four symbols that occur in this story, where they occur, and who sees them.
Part 2 - What do you think each of these symbols mean for the story when they appear?
Part 3 - Do these symbols help to add to the story's message? Why or why not? What do you feel the overall message might be?
This section contains 741 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)