|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is another name for the hospital in the story?
2. Where does Milkman go to hide from Hagar?
3. What does Macon reveal about Ruth's relationship with her father?
4. Where are Guitar and Milkman at the beginning of this chapter?
5. Who is the drunk and crazy tenant that waves around a shotgun and a wad of cash?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Hagar's reaction to Milkman's breakup letter?
2. Why don't Pilate and Macon stay in hiding for long?
3. What are some of Milkman's first impressions of the Butler house when he arrives?
4. What happens on the day that is assigned to Guitar?
5. What is the date of the beginning of the novel?
6. Who are the women that sing together that have such beautiful voices?
7. What is wrong with Mercy Hospital that it has been given a not-so-flattering nickname?
8. What is Milkman's reaction to the message he receives at the General Store?
9. What hinders Milkman's journey to his father's old house?
10. What is the dream the Milkman has once Guitar leaves?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The idea of bad luck is one that runs through this novel, and culminates in Chapter 13, not coincidentally.
Part 1 - Describe the bad luck of Pilate and how it affects her in the novel.
Part 2 - Describe the bad luck of Reba and how it affects her in the novel.
Part 3 - Describe the back luck of Hagar and how it affects her in the novel.
Part 4 - List any other instances of bad luck you noticed in this novel.
Essay Topic 2
There are several characters who have physical flaws that seem to be symbolic of their character and of their roles in the novel.
Part 1 - What do you feel Pilate's lack of a navel represents in the context of this novel? What does this say about her as a person?
Part 2 - What do you feel Milkman's limp has to say about him? What does it cause him to do?
Part 3 - Do you feel that physical flaws can alter the personality of a person or is it the other way around? Support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
The Seven Days organization is one that seems to be based on the idea of revenge, rather than making things better. Morrison has created a system that seems to be evil, though a reader can understand the frustration.
Part 1 - Describe The Seven Days organization, what it does, and how it does it.
Part 2 - Name the characters who are in the organization as well as the days they are assigned to, if mentioned in the book.
Part 3 - Do you believe there are organizations that exist in this world like The Seven Days? Why or why not?
Part 4 - Are the members of The Seven Days bad people? Why or why not?
This section contains 782 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)