Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Pilate do for a living?
2. To where do Macon and Pilate escape instead of staying in their hiding place?
3. Where is the person in #2 trying to fly?
4. What does Milkman mention that causes Macon to become excited?
5. What does Hagar bring as the murder weapon for Milkman's murder?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Milkman tell Pilate about the bones she found in the cave?
2. What makes Macon excited as Milkman is arguing his point in #25?
3. What is the progress of Milkman's trip back home?
4. What are Pilate and Milkman supposed to do with the bones Pilate found in the cave?
5. What is the job that First Corinthians takes?
6. What is Milkman's reaction to the message he receives at the General Store?
7. What are some of Milkman's first impressions of the Butler house when he arrives?
8. What does Guitar realize about Hagar as he helps her get back to her house?
9. What are some of the ways First Corinthians hides her true employment situation?
10. What does First Corinthians' job mean to her?
Essay Topic 1
The women in this story seem to be quite different, especially those in Milkman's life. Through his interactions with women, he becomes the man he grows up to be.
Part 1 - Describe the relationship between Milkman and Ruth.
Part 2 - Describe the relationship between Milkman and Pilate
Part 3 - Of these two relationships, which one seems to affect Milkman the most?
Part 4 - What is the relationship between the two women? Does this affect Milkman?
Essay Topic 2
The Seven Days organization is one that seems to be based on the idea of revenge, rather than making things better. Morrison has created a system that seems to be evil, though a reader can understand the frustration.
Part 1 - Describe The Seven Days organization, what it does, and how it does it.
Part 2 - Name the characters who are in the organization as well as the days they are assigned to, if mentioned in the book.
Part 3 - Do you believe there are organizations that exist in this world like The Seven Days? Why or why not?
Part 4 - Are the members of The Seven Days bad people? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Pilate does something shocking when Milkman returns from speaking to Susan Byrd about Sing and his family. The reader is shocked at this point, but there is method to the madness.
Part 1 - What does Pilate do upon Milkman's arrival? What does this seem to say about Pilate's opinion of Milkman's actions?
Part 2 - Why does Pilate change her mind so quickly about Milkman's situation? What does this say about Pilate?
Part 3 - Why do you think Milkman is so certain Pilate will not kill him?
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)