|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Empire State like to hang out?
2. What must Milkman promise in order to find out more from Guitar?
3. In his dream, where does Milkman's mother go to visit her father?
4. What did Pilate use to protect Ruth and her unborn son?
5. Who does Freddie think is helping the murderer in #43?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the dream the Milkman has once Guitar leaves?
2. Why don't Pilate and Macon stay in hiding for long?
3. What does First Corinthians think has caused her lack of luck with men and marriage?
4. What makes Macon excited as Milkman is arguing his point in #25?
5. Why doesn't Solomon bring Jake to Africa with him?
6. What idea does Macon resist when talking to Milkman?
7. What is wrong with Mercy Hospital that it has been given a not-so-flattering nickname?
8. What is Susan's response to Milkman's questions about his grandmother, Sing?
9. What are some of the ways First Corinthians hides her true employment situation?
10. What does Guitar do when he finds Hagar frozen as she stands over Milkman?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Seven Days organization is one that seems to be based on the idea of revenge, rather than making things better. Morrison has created a system that seems to be evil, though a reader can understand the frustration.
Part 1 - Describe The Seven Days organization, what it does, and how it does it.
Part 2 - Name the characters who are in the organization as well as the days they are assigned to, if mentioned in the book.
Part 3 - Do you believe there are organizations that exist in this world like The Seven Days? Why or why not?
Part 4 - Are the members of The Seven Days bad people? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Names seem to be a significant part of this novel, giving the reader insights into the characters, their personalities and their motivations.
Part 1 - Name five characters and describe why you feel Morrison chose their names.
Part 2 - With these five names, are there any that don't seem to be appropriate for the characters? Why or why not?
Part 3 - Do you feel the Biblical names have any further significance in this story? What sets those characters apart from the others?
Part 4 - Some characters have more than one name. Please name these.
Essay Topic 3
The attempt to fly is just one of the ways Morrison symbolizes the characters' need to escape from their conditions.
Part 1 - Describe the opening scene with Robert Smith and why he decided he wanted to fly away.
Part 2 - What is the significance of the story of Solomon the Flying Man? What does it mean for the rest of the characters?
Part 3 - Why do you think Milkman decides to fly as well at the end of the story? Is it a sign that he has given up or is it a sign of strength? Support your answer.
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)