|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Ruth hope she and Milkman would have?
2. To where do Macon and Pilate escape instead of staying in their hiding place?
3. Who is the person that comes up with the nickname Milkman?
4. Guitar feels the group is a perfectly ________ and natural reaction to unnatural white people.
5. Why does Milkman do things to be unlike his father?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Guitar realize about Hagar as he helps her get back to her house?
2. What is the legend of Milkman's great grandfather?
3. How does Hagar try to kill Milkman as he is lying on the couch?
4. What does First Corinthians think has caused her lack of luck with men and marriage?
5. How does Hagar get the money to buy things to make herself pretty?
6. What hinders Milkman's journey to his father's old house?
7. How does Milkman get to Shalimar?
8. What is the explanation that Susan Byrd gives for her behavior the previous time that Milkman visited?
9. What are some of the ways First Corinthians hides her true employment situation?
10. Why does Milkman decide to travel to Danville?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Seven Days organization is one that seems to be based on the idea of revenge, rather than making things better. Morrison has created a system that seems to be evil, though a reader can understand the frustration.
Part 1 - Describe The Seven Days organization, what it does, and how it does it.
Part 2 - Name the characters who are in the organization as well as the days they are assigned to, if mentioned in the book.
Part 3 - Do you believe there are organizations that exist in this world like The Seven Days? Why or why not?
Part 4 - Are the members of The Seven Days bad people? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The families in this story seem to have more troubles than those who are not blood related. The Dead family in particular has a number of strange interactions that seem to make a reader question if they love each other at all.
Part 1 - What are some of the strange ways the Dead family interacts?
Part 2 - Describe the relationship between Pilate and Macon. Does it seem that these two love each other? Why or why not?
Part 3 - Describe the relationship between Pilate and Milkman. Do these two seem to have a strong relationship? Why or why not?
Part 4 - What does the fact that Macon tried to keep Milkman away from Pilate say about Macon's ideas about family?
Essay Topic 3
Names seem to be a significant part of this novel, giving the reader insights into the characters, their personalities and their motivations.
Part 1 - Name five characters and describe why you feel Morrison chose their names.
Part 2 - With these five names, are there any that don't seem to be appropriate for the characters? Why or why not?
Part 3 - Do you feel the Biblical names have any further significance in this story? What sets those characters apart from the others?
Part 4 - Some characters have more than one name. Please name these.
This section contains 841 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)