|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Milkman's best friend?
2. Where is the person in #2 trying to fly?
3. Who has Milkman been sleeping with for some time?
4. Who is shocked about the news that Hagar wants to kill Milkman?
5. Who is trying to fly at the start of the novel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Milkman notice about himself as he grows older?
2. What is Susan's response to Milkman's questions about his grandmother, Sing?
3. What is the cause of Guitar's new and strange habits?
4. Why don't Pilate and Macon stay in hiding for long?
5. What is wrong with Mercy Hospital that it has been given a not-so-flattering nickname?
6. What is the dream the Milkman has once Guitar leaves?
7. To where does Robert Smith want to fly when he is standing on the roof of Mercy Hospital?
8. Why does Milkman decide to travel to Danville?
9. What does First Corinthians' job mean to her?
10. When Milkman is 31, what is he out doing before Christmas?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the end, Milkman 'flies' off into a chasm, but it's not certain what happens after that. Following in his great grandfather's footsteps, it seems Milkman wants to make a leap as well.
Part 1 - Why do you think Milkman decided to leap off into the chasm? What was his motivation?
Part 2 - Do you think Milkman actually flew at the end of the story? Or perhaps you think it was a figurative flight? Explain your answer.
Part 3 - What do you think happens to Guitar after this scene? What does he do when he can not kill Milkman as he planned?
Essay Topic 2
The women in this story seem to be quite different, especially those in Milkman's life. Through his interactions with women, he becomes the man he grows up to be.
Part 1 - Describe the relationship between Milkman and Ruth.
Part 2 - Describe the relationship between Milkman and Pilate
Part 3 - Of these two relationships, which one seems to affect Milkman the most?
Part 4 - What is the relationship between the two women? Does this affect Milkman?
Essay Topic 3
There is a lot of foreshadowing in this novel, though it's not always clear at the time. Morrison's use of these 'hints' helps a reader see that the story is moving in the direction it says it is, even when it seems like the characters are unpredictable.
Part 1 - Describe three instances of foreshadowing in the story.
Part 2 - Why do you think Pilate is the character who is able to give the other characters many of the foreshadowing hints?
Part 3 - What does foreshadowing do for this story? Does it help the characters or does it hurt them? How?
This section contains 2,398 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)