|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Milkman throw his father into?
2. What is Hagar's relationship to Milkman?
3. What does Macon do to keep Milkman out of trouble?
4. What kind of car does the Dead family own?
5. Which of Milkman's legs is shorter than the other?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the result of Robert Smith's 'flight' from the top of Mercy Hospital?
2. What is the cause of Guitar's new and strange habits?
3. What idea does Macon resist when talking to Milkman?
4. Why does Guitar even warn Milkman about his impending death?
5. How does Milkman break up with Hagar?
6. Who are the women that sing together that have such beautiful voices?
7. Why is Guitar having troubles with his assignment with The Seven Days?
8. Why doesn't Solomon bring Jake to Africa with him?
9. What does Guitar do when he finds Hagar frozen as she stands over Milkman?
10. How does Hagar get the money to buy things to make herself pretty?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The concept of love is a strange one in this novel as it seems to be out of proportion for the relationships that are described.
Part 1 - Describe Macon's love for Ruth.
Part 2 - Describe Ruth's love for her son and for her father.
Part 3 - Describe Hagar's love for Milkman.
Part 4 - What do these examples of love seem to indicate about the novel's ideas of love? Is love a good thing? A bad thing? A strange thing? Why?
Essay Topic 2
In the end, Milkman 'flies' off into a chasm, but it's not certain what happens after that. Following in his great grandfather's footsteps, it seems Milkman wants to make a leap as well.
Part 1 - Why do you think Milkman decided to leap off into the chasm? What was his motivation?
Part 2 - Do you think Milkman actually flew at the end of the story? Or perhaps you think it was a figurative flight? Explain your answer.
Part 3 - What do you think happens to Guitar after this scene? What does he do when he can not kill Milkman as he planned?
Essay Topic 3
Names seem to be a significant part of this novel, giving the reader insights into the characters, their personalities and their motivations.
Part 1 - Name five characters and describe why you feel Morrison chose their names.
Part 2 - With these five names, are there any that don't seem to be appropriate for the characters? Why or why not?
Part 3 - Do you feel the Biblical names have any further significance in this story? What sets those characters apart from the others?
Part 4 - Some characters have more than one name. Please name these.
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)