|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the date at the beginning of this story?
2. What is Hagar's relationship to Milkman?
3. What does Hagar want to do in response to Milkman's breakup?
4. Why does Milkman do things to be unlike his father?
5. Who scares Macon away from the cave and hinders him from leaving with the item in #82?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Milkman decide to travel to Danville?
2. What is Hagar's reaction to Milkman's breakup letter?
3. What is the dream the Milkman has once Guitar leaves?
4. Why does Milkman receive a much different reception when he enters the General Store the second time?
5. What is Susan's response to Milkman's questions about his grandmother, Sing?
6. What is the result of Robert Smith's 'flight' from the top of Mercy Hospital?
7. How does Hagar get the money to buy things to make herself pretty?
8. What does Circe reveal about Macon that Milkman does not already know?
9. With what greeting does Pilate welcome Milkman upon his return?
10. What does Milkman do to prove he is nothing like his father?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pilate does something shocking when Milkman returns from speaking to Susan Byrd about Sing and his family. The reader is shocked at this point, but there is method to the madness.
Part 1 - What does Pilate do upon Milkman's arrival? What does this seem to say about Pilate's opinion of Milkman's actions?
Part 2 - Why does Pilate change her mind so quickly about Milkman's situation? What does this say about Pilate?
Part 3 - Why do you think Milkman is so certain Pilate will not kill him?
Essay Topic 2
The concept of love is a strange one in this novel as it seems to be out of proportion for the relationships that are described.
Part 1 - Describe Macon's love for Ruth.
Part 2 - Describe Ruth's love for her son and for her father.
Part 3 - Describe Hagar's love for Milkman.
Part 4 - What do these examples of love seem to indicate about the novel's ideas of love? Is love a good thing? A bad thing? A strange thing? Why?
Essay Topic 3
The role of racism in the story is different as it seems almost as if it is accepted into society instead of rebelled against, as it is in so many other tales.
Part 1 - Describe 3 instances of racism in the story.
Part 2 - For each of these instances, describe whether or not the characters have accepted the racism. Why or why not?
Part 3 - When racism is accepted, can it ever be erased? Why or why not?
This section contains 2,437 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)