Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Pilate do for a living?
2. To where do Macon and Pilate escape instead of staying in their hiding place?
3. Where is the person in #2 trying to fly?
4. What does Milkman mention that causes Macon to become excited?
5. What does Hagar bring as the murder weapon for Milkman's murder?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Milkman tell Pilate about the bones she found in the cave?
2. What makes Macon excited as Milkman is arguing his point in #25?
3. What is the progress of Milkman's trip back home?
4. What are Pilate and Milkman supposed to do with the bones Pilate found in the cave?
5. What is the job that First Corinthians takes?
6. What is Milkman's reaction to the message he receives at the General Store?
7. What are some of Milkman's first impressions of the Butler house when he arrives?
8. What does Guitar realize about Hagar as he helps her get back to her house?
9. What are some of the ways First Corinthians hides her true employment situation?
10. What does First Corinthians' job mean to her?
In the end, Milkman 'flies' off into a chasm, but it's not certain what happens after that. Following in his great grandfather's footsteps, it seems Milkman wants to make a leap as well.
Part 1 - Why do you think Milkman decided to leap off into the chasm? What was his motivation?
Part 2 - Do you think Milkman actually flew at the end of the story? Or perhaps you think it was a figurative flight? Explain your answer.
Part 3 - What do you think happens to Guitar after this scene? What does he do when he can not kill Milkman as he planned?
The ongoing debate over nature vs. the ideals of society is one that plays out in this novel, especially with those in the Dead family.
Part 1 - Compare and contrast Pilate and Macon. How do they live and how does this relate to society?
Part 2 - Do you feel society plays a large role in the decisions we make or does our upbringing play a larger role? Why?
Part 3 - Does society cause us to be who we are or does family? Give examples from the book to support your answer.
It's no surprise that racism plays a large role in this novel, much as it does in many of Morrison's novels.
Part 1 - What is the relationship between the blacks and the whites in "The Song of Solomon?"
Part 2 - What are some examples of racism in this novel? Name and describe at least 3.
Part 3 - Does race hurt those in the story? How so? Give at least 2 examples.
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)