|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Milkman send to Hagar?
2. What did Milkman's mother say she was wearing when she was kneeling next to her dead father?
3. Who walks into the rental office as Milkman is finishing up work?
4. Where does Hagar hit Milkman?
5. Who prevented Macon from attempting to miscarry Milkman when he was in the womb?
Short Essay Questions
1. To where does Robert Smith want to fly when he is standing on the roof of Mercy Hospital?
2. What does Milkman tell Pilate about the bones she found in the cave?
3. What happened to Sing according to Susan?
4. Why does Milkman receive a much different reception when he enters the General Store the second time?
5. How does Hagar try to kill Milkman as he is lying on the couch?
6. What does Circe reveal about Macon that Milkman does not already know?
7. What is Susan's response to Milkman's questions about his grandmother, Sing?
8. What does Ruth tell her son about her own relationship with her father?
9. What is the job that First Corinthians takes?
10. Why does Milkman decide to travel to Danville?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The idea of bad luck is one that runs through this novel, and culminates in Chapter 13, not coincidentally.
Part 1 - Describe the bad luck of Pilate and how it affects her in the novel.
Part 2 - Describe the bad luck of Reba and how it affects her in the novel.
Part 3 - Describe the back luck of Hagar and how it affects her in the novel.
Part 4 - List any other instances of bad luck you noticed in this novel.
Essay Topic 2
The concept of love is a strange one in this novel as it seems to be out of proportion for the relationships that are described.
Part 1 - Describe Macon's love for Ruth.
Part 2 - Describe Ruth's love for her son and for her father.
Part 3 - Describe Hagar's love for Milkman.
Part 4 - What do these examples of love seem to indicate about the novel's ideas of love? Is love a good thing? A bad thing? A strange thing? Why?
Essay Topic 3
The role of racism in the story is different as it seems almost as if it is accepted into society instead of rebelled against, as it is in so many other tales.
Part 1 - Describe 3 instances of racism in the story.
Part 2 - For each of these instances, describe whether or not the characters have accepted the racism. Why or why not?
Part 3 - When racism is accepted, can it ever be erased? Why or why not?
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)