|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is another name for the hospital in the story?
2. How old is Milkman when he is out buying Christmas presents for everyone?
3. What did Ruth hope she and Milkman would have?
4. Where does Hagar hit Milkman?
5. Where does the family take its weekly drive?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Guitar's reason for trying to kill Milkman?
2. What does the Dead family do on Sunday afternoons?
3. How does Milkman get to Shalimar?
4. What makes Macon excited as Milkman is arguing his point in #25?
5. What is Susan's response to Milkman's questions about his grandmother, Sing?
6. Why did Pilate and Macon go into hiding?
7. What does Milkman notice about himself as he grows older?
8. What is the setup of The Seven Days? How does it work?
9. Why doesn't Solomon bring Jake to Africa with him?
10. What are some of the ways First Corinthians hides her true employment situation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are several characters who have physical flaws that seem to be symbolic of their character and of their roles in the novel.
Part 1 - What do you feel Pilate's lack of a navel represents in the context of this novel? What does this say about her as a person?
Part 2 - What do you feel Milkman's limp has to say about him? What does it cause him to do?
Part 3 - Do you feel that physical flaws can alter the personality of a person or is it the other way around? Support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
The concept of love is a strange one in this novel as it seems to be out of proportion for the relationships that are described.
Part 1 - Describe Macon's love for Ruth.
Part 2 - Describe Ruth's love for her son and for her father.
Part 3 - Describe Hagar's love for Milkman.
Part 4 - What do these examples of love seem to indicate about the novel's ideas of love? Is love a good thing? A bad thing? A strange thing? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Dreams seem to play a significant role in this story as well, helping to shed light on mysteries the characters are facing.
Part 1 - List two examples of dreams in this story and describe them as best you can.
Part 2 - What is the significance of each of these dreams? What do they tell the character? What do they tell the reader?
Part 3 - Why are dreams used in novels to relay information? Wouldn't narrative be just as effective? Why or why not?
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)