|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of Milkman's legs is shorter than the other?
2. When does the Dead family take its weekly drives?
3. In his dream, where does Milkman's mother go to visit her father?
4. How old is Milkman's best friend when they are first said to be friends?
5. To where do Macon and Pilate escape instead of staying in their hiding place?
Short Essay Questions
1. What idea does Macon resist when talking to Milkman?
2. Why doesn't Solomon bring Jake to Africa with him?
3. What makes Macon excited as Milkman is arguing his point in #25?
4. What does Pilate do when she realizes Guitar and Milkman have stolen the green bag?
5. Why is Guitar having troubles with his assignment with The Seven Days?
6. Why do the beatings of Ruth finally stop in the Dead household?
7. What happened to Sing according to Susan?
8. Why does Guitar even warn Milkman about his impending death?
9. Why don't Pilate and Macon stay in hiding for long?
10. Why does Milkman decide to travel to Danville?
Essay Topic 1
Names seem to be a significant part of this novel, giving the reader insights into the characters, their personalities and their motivations.
Part 1 - Name five characters and describe why you feel Morrison chose their names.
Part 2 - With these five names, are there any that don't seem to be appropriate for the characters? Why or why not?
Part 3 - Do you feel the Biblical names have any further significance in this story? What sets those characters apart from the others?
Part 4 - Some characters have more than one name. Please name these.
Essay Topic 2
The role of racism in the story is different as it seems almost as if it is accepted into society instead of rebelled against, as it is in so many other tales.
Part 1 - Describe 3 instances of racism in the story.
Part 2 - For each of these instances, describe whether or not the characters have accepted the racism. Why or why not?
Part 3 - When racism is accepted, can it ever be erased? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Gold seems to be the thing on many of the men's minds in this book. But while they are all unsuccessful, they still seem to long for that which they can not have.
Part 1 - Describe Macon's search for the gold in the story. What are his motivations for getting the gold?
Part 2 - Describe Milkman's quest for the gold in the story. What are his motivations?
Part 3 - Describe Guitar's quest for the gold. What are his motivations? What does it cause him to do? Why do you think he resorted to violence?
This section contains 2,392 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)