|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Macon Dead do for work?
2. Who is shocked about the news that Hagar wants to kill Milkman?
3. What does Pilate do for a living?
4. What is the date at the beginning of this story?
5. What does Milkman throw his father into?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which of the children actually enjoy the ritual in which the Dead family takes part on Sunday afternoons?
2. What is the job that First Corinthians takes?
3. What does Milkman tell Pilate about the bones she found in the cave?
4. To where does Robert Smith want to fly when he is standing on the roof of Mercy Hospital?
5. What idea does Macon resist when talking to Milkman?
6. When Milkman is 31, what is he out doing before Christmas?
7. How does Hagar try to kill Milkman as he is lying on the couch?
8. What is wrong with Mercy Hospital that it has been given a not-so-flattering nickname?
9. Why is Guitar having troubles with his assignment with The Seven Days?
10. What does Milkman do for his father in the rental business?
Essay Topic 1
There is a lot of foreshadowing in this novel, though it's not always clear at the time. Morrison's use of these 'hints' helps a reader see that the story is moving in the direction it says it is, even when it seems like the characters are unpredictable.
Part 1 - Describe three instances of foreshadowing in the story.
Part 2 - Why do you think Pilate is the character who is able to give the other characters many of the foreshadowing hints?
Part 3 - What does foreshadowing do for this story? Does it help the characters or does it hurt them? How?
Essay Topic 2
There are a number of images - ghosts, peacocks, cedar tree, etc. - that seem to pop up in this novel as symbols for something greater in terms of the novel's message.
Part 1 - List at least four symbols that occur in this story, where they occur, and who sees them.
Part 2 - What do you think each of these symbols mean for the story when they appear?
Part 3 - Do these symbols help to add to the story's message? Why or why not? What do you feel the overall message might be?
Essay Topic 3
The songs in this book are powerful points in the story and they relay different ways the characters feel about each other and the different ways the characters are connected.
Part 1 - Give three examples of the way song is used in this novel (besides the title).
Part 2 - Describe what each of these examples of song seem to say about those who are singing and about those who are sung to.
Part 3 - Obviously, the title is an example of song as well, but why do you think this title was chosen? What is its significance? Is it a strong title? Why or why not?
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)