|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Regarding Hagar: The fact that she is so _____ to sleep with robs Milkman of the pleasure that should come with sex.
2. Who is the drunk and crazy tenant that waves around a shotgun and a wad of cash?
3. Who scares Macon away from the cave and hinders him from leaving with the item in #82?
4. How does Milkman get to see his best friend?
5. What did Ruth hope she and Milkman would have?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Milkman notice about himself as he grows older?
2. Why does Guitar even warn Milkman about his impending death?
3. What is the dream the Milkman has once Guitar leaves?
4. Why is Guitar having troubles with his assignment with The Seven Days?
5. What is the date of the beginning of the novel?
6. What is wrong with Mercy Hospital that it has been given a not-so-flattering nickname?
7. What does First Corinthians think has caused her lack of luck with men and marriage?
8. What is the setup of The Seven Days? How does it work?
9. What does Circe reveal about Macon that Milkman does not already know?
10. To where does Robert Smith want to fly when he is standing on the roof of Mercy Hospital?
Essay Topic 1
It's no surprise that racism plays a large role in this novel, much as it does in many of Morrison's novels.
Part 1 - What is the relationship between the blacks and the whites in "The Song of Solomon?"
Part 2 - What are some examples of racism in this novel? Name and describe at least 3.
Part 3 - Does race hurt those in the story? How so? Give at least 2 examples.
Essay Topic 2
There is a lot of foreshadowing in this novel, though it's not always clear at the time. Morrison's use of these 'hints' helps a reader see that the story is moving in the direction it says it is, even when it seems like the characters are unpredictable.
Part 1 - Describe three instances of foreshadowing in the story.
Part 2 - Why do you think Pilate is the character who is able to give the other characters many of the foreshadowing hints?
Part 3 - What does foreshadowing do for this story? Does it help the characters or does it hurt them? How?
Essay Topic 3
The concept of love is a strange one in this novel as it seems to be out of proportion for the relationships that are described.
Part 1 - Describe Macon's love for Ruth.
Part 2 - Describe Ruth's love for her son and for her father.
Part 3 - Describe Hagar's love for Milkman.
Part 4 - What do these examples of love seem to indicate about the novel's ideas of love? Is love a good thing? A bad thing? A strange thing? Why?
This section contains 2,449 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)