|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Guitar and Milkman go to get a drink?
2. Who is shocked about the news that Hagar wants to kill Milkman?
3. Where does Milkman find Guitar?
4. How does Milkman describe his relationship with Hagar?
5. Who does Freddie think is helping the murderer in #43?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Milkman's friend, Guitar, talk him into that is forbidden by Milkman's father?
2. What does Guitar realize about Hagar as he helps her get back to her house?
3. What is the explanation that Susan Byrd gives for her behavior the previous time that Milkman visited?
4. How does Hagar try to kill Milkman as he is lying on the couch?
5. Who are the women that sing together that have such beautiful voices?
6. What does Milkman realize when he tries to buy a present for Hagar?
7. What does the Dead family do on Sunday afternoons?
8. What is the progress of Milkman's trip back home?
9. What is the setup of The Seven Days? How does it work?
10. What is the legend of Milkman's great grandfather?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is a lot of foreshadowing in this novel, though it's not always clear at the time. Morrison's use of these 'hints' helps a reader see that the story is moving in the direction it says it is, even when it seems like the characters are unpredictable.
Part 1 - Describe three instances of foreshadowing in the story.
Part 2 - Why do you think Pilate is the character who is able to give the other characters many of the foreshadowing hints?
Part 3 - What does foreshadowing do for this story? Does it help the characters or does it hurt them? How?
Essay Topic 2
The idea of bad luck is one that runs through this novel, and culminates in Chapter 13, not coincidentally.
Part 1 - Describe the bad luck of Pilate and how it affects her in the novel.
Part 2 - Describe the bad luck of Reba and how it affects her in the novel.
Part 3 - Describe the back luck of Hagar and how it affects her in the novel.
Part 4 - List any other instances of bad luck you noticed in this novel.
Essay Topic 3
The attempt to fly is just one of the ways Morrison symbolizes the characters' need to escape from their conditions.
Part 1 - Describe the opening scene with Robert Smith and why he decided he wanted to fly away.
Part 2 - What is the significance of the story of Solomon the Flying Man? What does it mean for the rest of the characters?
Part 3 - Why do you think Milkman decides to fly as well at the end of the story? Is it a sign that he has given up or is it a sign of strength? Support your answer.
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)