|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the baby delivered in #6?
2. Does Macon explain why he doesn't want Milkman to visit his aunt?
3. Who prevented Macon from attempting to miscarry Milkman when he was in the womb?
4. Who picks up a rock and kills the white man where Macon and Pilate decide to sleep?
5. Where do Guitar and Milkman go to get a drink?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Guitar's reason for trying to kill Milkman?
2. What is the cause of Guitar's new and strange habits?
3. What is the explanation that Susan Byrd gives for her behavior the previous time that Milkman visited?
4. What does Pilate do when she realizes Guitar and Milkman have stolen the green bag?
5. What does Guitar realize about Hagar as he helps her get back to her house?
6. What does Ruth tell her son about her own relationship with her father?
7. What hinders Milkman's journey to his father's old house?
8. What breaks Hagar from her three day trance?
9. What makes Macon excited as Milkman is arguing his point in #25?
10. Why does Milkman decide to travel to Danville?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dreams seem to play a significant role in this story as well, helping to shed light on mysteries the characters are facing.
Part 1 - List two examples of dreams in this story and describe them as best you can.
Part 2 - What is the significance of each of these dreams? What do they tell the character? What do they tell the reader?
Part 3 - Why are dreams used in novels to relay information? Wouldn't narrative be just as effective? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The story of Solomon is a turning point of sorts for Milkman in the story. Its presence was never known to Milkman, and hearing it allows him to move forward in the story.
Part 1 - Describe the story of Solomon, what happened, and who the main players in the story were.
Part 2 - What does this story seem to say about Solomon and his relationship with his son?
Part 3 - What are some of the ways the story of Solomon affects Milkman's life?
Essay Topic 3
Names seem to be a significant part of this novel, giving the reader insights into the characters, their personalities and their motivations.
Part 1 - Name five characters and describe why you feel Morrison chose their names.
Part 2 - With these five names, are there any that don't seem to be appropriate for the characters? Why or why not?
Part 3 - Do you feel the Biblical names have any further significance in this story? What sets those characters apart from the others?
Part 4 - Some characters have more than one name. Please name these.
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)