|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Pilate tell Ruth she believes will save Milkman's life one day?
2. Who is the one person for whom Milkman does not buy a Christmas present?
3. What is so special about the item in #74?
4. Where does Milkman go to hide from Hagar?
5. What do Macon and Pilate find as they try to bury the man who is killed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Guitar's reason for trying to kill Milkman?
2. Why is Guitar having troubles with his assignment with The Seven Days?
3. How does Hagar try to kill Milkman as he is lying on the couch?
4. What does First Corinthians' job mean to her?
5. What are some of Milkman's first impressions of the Butler house when he arrives?
6. What idea does Macon resist when talking to Milkman?
7. What does the Dead family do on Sunday afternoons?
8. What does Circe reveal about Macon that Milkman does not already know?
9. What is the setup of The Seven Days? How does it work?
10. Why does Milkman receive a much different reception when he enters the General Store the second time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are several characters who have physical flaws that seem to be symbolic of their character and of their roles in the novel.
Part 1 - What do you feel Pilate's lack of a navel represents in the context of this novel? What does this say about her as a person?
Part 2 - What do you feel Milkman's limp has to say about him? What does it cause him to do?
Part 3 - Do you feel that physical flaws can alter the personality of a person or is it the other way around? Support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
The attempt to fly is just one of the ways Morrison symbolizes the characters' need to escape from their conditions.
Part 1 - Describe the opening scene with Robert Smith and why he decided he wanted to fly away.
Part 2 - What is the significance of the story of Solomon the Flying Man? What does it mean for the rest of the characters?
Part 3 - Why do you think Milkman decides to fly as well at the end of the story? Is it a sign that he has given up or is it a sign of strength? Support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
There are a number of images - ghosts, peacocks, cedar tree, etc. - that seem to pop up in this novel as symbols for something greater in terms of the novel's message.
Part 1 - List at least four symbols that occur in this story, where they occur, and who sees them.
Part 2 - What do you think each of these symbols mean for the story when they appear?
Part 3 - Do these symbols help to add to the story's message? Why or why not? What do you feel the overall message might be?
This section contains 841 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)