|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When is Hagar thought to be planning to kill Milkman?
2. What is the goal of the organization?
3. What is Guitar drinking?
4. What is Guitar's advice to Milkman regarding his father?
5. What does Macon reveal about Ruth's relationship with her father?
Short Essay Questions
1. With what greeting does Pilate welcome Milkman upon his return?
2. What breaks Hagar from her three day trance?
3. What is the setup of The Seven Days? How does it work?
4. Why does Guitar even warn Milkman about his impending death?
5. Why did Pilate and Macon go into hiding?
6. What does Milkman's friend, Guitar, talk him into that is forbidden by Milkman's father?
7. What does Milkman do for his father in the rental business?
8. What is the progress of Milkman's trip back home?
9. What is the explanation that Susan Byrd gives for her behavior the previous time that Milkman visited?
10. What are some of the rules of The Seven Days?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Names seem to be a significant part of this novel, giving the reader insights into the characters, their personalities and their motivations.
Part 1 - Name five characters and describe why you feel Morrison chose their names.
Part 2 - With these five names, are there any that don't seem to be appropriate for the characters? Why or why not?
Part 3 - Do you feel the Biblical names have any further significance in this story? What sets those characters apart from the others?
Part 4 - Some characters have more than one name. Please name these.
Essay Topic 2
There is a lot of foreshadowing in this novel, though it's not always clear at the time. Morrison's use of these 'hints' helps a reader see that the story is moving in the direction it says it is, even when it seems like the characters are unpredictable.
Part 1 - Describe three instances of foreshadowing in the story.
Part 2 - Why do you think Pilate is the character who is able to give the other characters many of the foreshadowing hints?
Part 3 - What does foreshadowing do for this story? Does it help the characters or does it hurt them? How?
Essay Topic 3
The story of Solomon is a turning point of sorts for Milkman in the story. Its presence was never known to Milkman, and hearing it allows him to move forward in the story.
Part 1 - Describe the story of Solomon, what happened, and who the main players in the story were.
Part 2 - What does this story seem to say about Solomon and his relationship with his son?
Part 3 - What are some of the ways the story of Solomon affects Milkman's life?
This section contains 738 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)