|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Ruth hope she and Milkman would have?
2. Where is the person in #2 trying to fly?
3. Who does Pilate tell Ruth she believes will save Milkman's life one day?
4. Where does Macon say he will meet later with Milkman?
5. What does Milkman realize as Hagar tries to kill him and fails?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the job that First Corinthians takes?
2. What are some of the rules of The Seven Days?
3. What is the progress of Milkman's trip back home?
4. What does Guitar do when he finds Hagar frozen as she stands over Milkman?
5. Which of the children actually enjoy the ritual in which the Dead family takes part on Sunday afternoons?
6. What is the surprise Milkman encounters when he goes to Susan Byrd's house?
7. Why does Guitar even warn Milkman about his impending death?
8. To where does Robert Smith want to fly when he is standing on the roof of Mercy Hospital?
9. What is the cause of Guitar's new and strange habits?
10. What does First Corinthians think has caused her lack of luck with men and marriage?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The families in this story seem to have more troubles than those who are not blood related. The Dead family in particular has a number of strange interactions that seem to make a reader question if they love each other at all.
Part 1 - What are some of the strange ways the Dead family interacts?
Part 2 - Describe the relationship between Pilate and Macon. Does it seem that these two love each other? Why or why not?
Part 3 - Describe the relationship between Pilate and Milkman. Do these two seem to have a strong relationship? Why or why not?
Part 4 - What does the fact that Macon tried to keep Milkman away from Pilate say about Macon's ideas about family?
Essay Topic 2
The concept of love is a strange one in this novel as it seems to be out of proportion for the relationships that are described.
Part 1 - Describe Macon's love for Ruth.
Part 2 - Describe Ruth's love for her son and for her father.
Part 3 - Describe Hagar's love for Milkman.
Part 4 - What do these examples of love seem to indicate about the novel's ideas of love? Is love a good thing? A bad thing? A strange thing? Why?
Essay Topic 3
The idea of bad luck is one that runs through this novel, and culminates in Chapter 13, not coincidentally.
Part 1 - Describe the bad luck of Pilate and how it affects her in the novel.
Part 2 - Describe the bad luck of Reba and how it affects her in the novel.
Part 3 - Describe the back luck of Hagar and how it affects her in the novel.
Part 4 - List any other instances of bad luck you noticed in this novel.
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)