|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Guitar feels the group is a perfectly ________ and natural reaction to unnatural white people.
2. What is Guitar drinking?
3. What is Robert Smith's profession?
4. What is Milkman's job as he works with his father?
5. What is the date at the beginning of this story?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Circe reveal about Macon that Milkman does not already know?
2. What does First Corinthians' job mean to her?
3. What breaks Hagar from her three day trance?
4. Why does Guitar even warn Milkman about his impending death?
5. To where does Robert Smith want to fly when he is standing on the roof of Mercy Hospital?
6. Why does Milkman decide to travel to Danville?
7. When Milkman is 31, what is he out doing before Christmas?
8. What does First Corinthians think has caused her lack of luck with men and marriage?
9. Why does Milkman receive a much different reception when he enters the General Store the second time?
10. Why don't Pilate and Macon stay in hiding for long?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Names seem to be a significant part of this novel, giving the reader insights into the characters, their personalities and their motivations.
Part 1 - Name five characters and describe why you feel Morrison chose their names.
Part 2 - With these five names, are there any that don't seem to be appropriate for the characters? Why or why not?
Part 3 - Do you feel the Biblical names have any further significance in this story? What sets those characters apart from the others?
Part 4 - Some characters have more than one name. Please name these.
Essay Topic 2
The ongoing debate over nature vs. the ideals of society is one that plays out in this novel, especially with those in the Dead family.
Part 1 - Compare and contrast Pilate and Macon. How do they live and how does this relate to society?
Part 2 - Do you feel society plays a large role in the decisions we make or does our upbringing play a larger role? Why?
Part 3 - Does society cause us to be who we are or does family? Give examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
There are a number of images - ghosts, peacocks, cedar tree, etc. - that seem to pop up in this novel as symbols for something greater in terms of the novel's message.
Part 1 - List at least four symbols that occur in this story, where they occur, and who sees them.
Part 2 - What do you think each of these symbols mean for the story when they appear?
Part 3 - Do these symbols help to add to the story's message? Why or why not? What do you feel the overall message might be?
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)