|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is trying to fly at the start of the novel?
2. Who is one of the members of this organization that eventually cannot not take it?
3. How old is Milkman's best friend when they are first said to be friends?
4. What is so special about the item in #74?
5. Which of Milkman's legs is shorter than the other?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to Sing according to Susan?
2. What does Pilate do when she realizes Guitar and Milkman have stolen the green bag?
3. Why doesn't Solomon bring Jake to Africa with him?
4. What is Susan's response to Milkman's questions about his grandmother, Sing?
5. Which of the children actually enjoy the ritual in which the Dead family takes part on Sunday afternoons?
6. What is wrong with Mercy Hospital that it has been given a not-so-flattering nickname?
7. What is the cause of Guitar's new and strange habits?
8. What is the dream the Milkman has once Guitar leaves?
9. What makes Macon excited as Milkman is arguing his point in #25?
10. Who are the women that sing together that have such beautiful voices?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Names seem to be a significant part of this novel, giving the reader insights into the characters, their personalities and their motivations.
Part 1 - Name five characters and describe why you feel Morrison chose their names.
Part 2 - With these five names, are there any that don't seem to be appropriate for the characters? Why or why not?
Part 3 - Do you feel the Biblical names have any further significance in this story? What sets those characters apart from the others?
Part 4 - Some characters have more than one name. Please name these.
Essay Topic 2
The story of Solomon is a turning point of sorts for Milkman in the story. Its presence was never known to Milkman, and hearing it allows him to move forward in the story.
Part 1 - Describe the story of Solomon, what happened, and who the main players in the story were.
Part 2 - What does this story seem to say about Solomon and his relationship with his son?
Part 3 - What are some of the ways the story of Solomon affects Milkman's life?
Essay Topic 3
Dreams seem to play a significant role in this story as well, helping to shed light on mysteries the characters are facing.
Part 1 - List two examples of dreams in this story and describe them as best you can.
Part 2 - What is the significance of each of these dreams? What do they tell the character? What do they tell the reader?
Part 3 - Why are dreams used in novels to relay information? Wouldn't narrative be just as effective? Why or why not?
This section contains 2,382 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)