Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Pilate do for a living?
2. To where do Macon and Pilate escape instead of staying in their hiding place?
3. Where is the person in #2 trying to fly?
4. What does Milkman mention that causes Macon to become excited?
5. What does Hagar bring as the murder weapon for Milkman's murder?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Milkman tell Pilate about the bones she found in the cave?
2. What makes Macon excited as Milkman is arguing his point in #25?
3. What is the progress of Milkman's trip back home?
4. What are Pilate and Milkman supposed to do with the bones Pilate found in the cave?
5. What is the job that First Corinthians takes?
6. What is Milkman's reaction to the message he receives at the General Store?
7. What are some of Milkman's first impressions of the Butler house when he arrives?
8. What does Guitar realize about Hagar as he helps her get back to her house?
9. What are some of the ways First Corinthians hides her true employment situation?
10. What does First Corinthians' job mean to her?
Essay Topic 1
The families in this story seem to have more troubles than those who are not blood related. The Dead family in particular has a number of strange interactions that seem to make a reader question if they love each other at all.
Part 1 - What are some of the strange ways the Dead family interacts?
Part 2 - Describe the relationship between Pilate and Macon. Does it seem that these two love each other? Why or why not?
Part 3 - Describe the relationship between Pilate and Milkman. Do these two seem to have a strong relationship? Why or why not?
Part 4 - What does the fact that Macon tried to keep Milkman away from Pilate say about Macon's ideas about family?
Essay Topic 2
There is a lot of foreshadowing in this novel, though it's not always clear at the time. Morrison's use of these 'hints' helps a reader see that the story is moving in the direction it says it is, even when it seems like the characters are unpredictable.
Part 1 - Describe three instances of foreshadowing in the story.
Part 2 - Why do you think Pilate is the character who is able to give the other characters many of the foreshadowing hints?
Part 3 - What does foreshadowing do for this story? Does it help the characters or does it hurt them? How?
Essay Topic 3
Names seem to be a significant part of this novel, giving the reader insights into the characters, their personalities and their motivations.
Part 1 - Name five characters and describe why you feel Morrison chose their names.
Part 2 - With these five names, are there any that don't seem to be appropriate for the characters? Why or why not?
Part 3 - Do you feel the Biblical names have any further significance in this story? What sets those characters apart from the others?
Part 4 - Some characters have more than one name. Please name these.
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)