|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of Milkman's legs is shorter than the other?
2. What is Hagar's relationship to Milkman?
3. What do Macon and Pilate find as they try to bury the man who is killed?
4. Where does Milkman find Guitar?
5. Who does Macon talk about in order to distract Milkman from his other questions?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the date of the beginning of the novel?
2. What is the legend of Milkman's great grandfather?
3. Why did Pilate and Macon go into hiding?
4. Why doesn't Solomon bring Jake to Africa with him?
5. What happens on the day that is assigned to Guitar?
6. How does Milkman get to Shalimar?
7. Why is Guitar having troubles with his assignment with The Seven Days?
8. What is Susan's response to Milkman's questions about his grandmother, Sing?
9. What idea does Macon resist when talking to Milkman?
10. What is the job that First Corinthians takes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The concept of love is a strange one in this novel as it seems to be out of proportion for the relationships that are described.
Part 1 - Describe Macon's love for Ruth.
Part 2 - Describe Ruth's love for her son and for her father.
Part 3 - Describe Hagar's love for Milkman.
Part 4 - What do these examples of love seem to indicate about the novel's ideas of love? Is love a good thing? A bad thing? A strange thing? Why?
Essay Topic 2
The songs in this book are powerful points in the story and they relay different ways the characters feel about each other and the different ways the characters are connected.
Part 1 - Give three examples of the way song is used in this novel (besides the title).
Part 2 - Describe what each of these examples of song seem to say about those who are singing and about those who are sung to.
Part 3 - Obviously, the title is an example of song as well, but why do you think this title was chosen? What is its significance? Is it a strong title? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The idea of bad luck is one that runs through this novel, and culminates in Chapter 13, not coincidentally.
Part 1 - Describe the bad luck of Pilate and how it affects her in the novel.
Part 2 - Describe the bad luck of Reba and how it affects her in the novel.
Part 3 - Describe the back luck of Hagar and how it affects her in the novel.
Part 4 - List any other instances of bad luck you noticed in this novel.
This section contains 757 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)