|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Regarding Hagar: The fact that she is so _____ to sleep with robs Milkman of the pleasure that should come with sex.
2. Guitar feels the group is a perfectly ________ and natural reaction to unnatural white people.
3. Who is the person that comes up with the nickname Milkman?
4. From whom do Macon and Pilate try to hide?
5. Who is shocked about the news that Hagar wants to kill Milkman?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the cause of Guitar's new and strange habits?
2. What does Ruth tell her son about her own relationship with her father?
3. What does Milkman receive when he enters the General Store?
4. What does Milkman realize when he tries to buy a present for Hagar?
5. What are some of the ways First Corinthians hides her true employment situation?
6. What does Pilate do when she realizes Guitar and Milkman have stolen the green bag?
7. Why is Guitar having troubles with his assignment with The Seven Days?
8. Why does Guitar even warn Milkman about his impending death?
9. What is the date of the beginning of the novel?
10. How does Hagar get the money to buy things to make herself pretty?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The role of racism in the story is different as it seems almost as if it is accepted into society instead of rebelled against, as it is in so many other tales.
Part 1 - Describe 3 instances of racism in the story.
Part 2 - For each of these instances, describe whether or not the characters have accepted the racism. Why or why not?
Part 3 - When racism is accepted, can it ever be erased? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The families in this story seem to have more troubles than those who are not blood related. The Dead family in particular has a number of strange interactions that seem to make a reader question if they love each other at all.
Part 1 - What are some of the strange ways the Dead family interacts?
Part 2 - Describe the relationship between Pilate and Macon. Does it seem that these two love each other? Why or why not?
Part 3 - Describe the relationship between Pilate and Milkman. Do these two seem to have a strong relationship? Why or why not?
Part 4 - What does the fact that Macon tried to keep Milkman away from Pilate say about Macon's ideas about family?
Essay Topic 3
The story of Solomon is a turning point of sorts for Milkman in the story. Its presence was never known to Milkman, and hearing it allows him to move forward in the story.
Part 1 - Describe the story of Solomon, what happened, and who the main players in the story were.
Part 2 - What does this story seem to say about Solomon and his relationship with his son?
Part 3 - What are some of the ways the story of Solomon affects Milkman's life?
This section contains 780 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)