|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is so special about the item in #74?
2. When is Hagar thought to be planning to kill Milkman?
3. What is the date at the beginning of this story?
4. Who is Milkman becoming worried about?
5. Where is the green bag hanging?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why don't Pilate and Macon stay in hiding for long?
2. What does Guitar do when he finds Hagar frozen as she stands over Milkman?
3. Which of the children actually enjoy the ritual in which the Dead family takes part on Sunday afternoons?
4. What are some of the ways First Corinthians hides her true employment situation?
5. What is the legend of Milkman's great grandfather?
6. What does Ruth tell her son about her own relationship with her father?
7. Why does Guitar even warn Milkman about his impending death?
8. Why does Guitar leave Milkman alone, even though Guitar is certain Hagar is coming to kill him?
9. What does the Dead family do on Sunday afternoons?
10. What does Milkman tell Pilate about the bones she found in the cave?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is a lot of foreshadowing in this novel, though it's not always clear at the time. Morrison's use of these 'hints' helps a reader see that the story is moving in the direction it says it is, even when it seems like the characters are unpredictable.
Part 1 - Describe three instances of foreshadowing in the story.
Part 2 - Why do you think Pilate is the character who is able to give the other characters many of the foreshadowing hints?
Part 3 - What does foreshadowing do for this story? Does it help the characters or does it hurt them? How?
Essay Topic 2
The women in this story seem to be quite different, especially those in Milkman's life. Through his interactions with women, he becomes the man he grows up to be.
Part 1 - Describe the relationship between Milkman and Ruth.
Part 2 - Describe the relationship between Milkman and Pilate
Part 3 - Of these two relationships, which one seems to affect Milkman the most?
Part 4 - What is the relationship between the two women? Does this affect Milkman?
Essay Topic 3
Pilate does something shocking when Milkman returns from speaking to Susan Byrd about Sing and his family. The reader is shocked at this point, but there is method to the madness.
Part 1 - What does Pilate do upon Milkman's arrival? What does this seem to say about Pilate's opinion of Milkman's actions?
Part 2 - Why does Pilate change her mind so quickly about Milkman's situation? What does this say about Pilate?
Part 3 - Why do you think Milkman is so certain Pilate will not kill him?
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)