Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Pilate do for a living?
2. To where do Macon and Pilate escape instead of staying in their hiding place?
3. Where is the person in #2 trying to fly?
4. What does Milkman mention that causes Macon to become excited?
5. What does Hagar bring as the murder weapon for Milkman's murder?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Milkman tell Pilate about the bones she found in the cave?
2. What makes Macon excited as Milkman is arguing his point in #25?
3. What is the progress of Milkman's trip back home?
4. What are Pilate and Milkman supposed to do with the bones Pilate found in the cave?
5. What is the job that First Corinthians takes?
6. What is Milkman's reaction to the message he receives at the General Store?
7. What are some of Milkman's first impressions of the Butler house when he arrives?
8. What does Guitar realize about Hagar as he helps her get back to her house?
9. What are some of the ways First Corinthians hides her true employment situation?
10. What does First Corinthians' job mean to her?
There are a number of images - ghosts, peacocks, cedar tree, etc. - that seem to pop up in this novel as symbols for something greater in terms of the novel's message.
Part 1 - List at least four symbols that occur in this story, where they occur, and who sees them.
Part 2 - What do you think each of these symbols mean for the story when they appear?
Part 3 - Do these symbols help to add to the story's message? Why or why not? What do you feel the overall message might be?
The concept of love is a strange one in this novel as it seems to be out of proportion for the relationships that are described.
Part 1 - Describe Macon's love for Ruth.
Part 2 - Describe Ruth's love for her son and for her father.
Part 3 - Describe Hagar's love for Milkman.
Part 4 - What do these examples of love seem to indicate about the novel's ideas of love? Is love a good thing? A bad thing? A strange thing? Why?
The families in this story seem to have more troubles than those who are not blood related. The Dead family in particular has a number of strange interactions that seem to make a reader question if they love each other at all.
Part 1 - What are some of the strange ways the Dead family interacts?
Part 2 - Describe the relationship between Pilate and Macon. Does it seem that these two love each other? Why or why not?
Part 3 - Describe the relationship between Pilate and Milkman. Do these two seem to have a strong relationship? Why or why not?
Part 4 - What does the fact that Macon tried to keep Milkman away from Pilate say about Macon's ideas about family?
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)