|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. From whom do Macon and Pilate try to hide?
2. Where does the family take its weekly drive?
3. What does Guitar think all white people are? ______ waiting to happen.
4. What is another name for the hospital in the story?
5. Regarding Hagar: The fact that she is so _____ to sleep with robs Milkman of the pleasure that should come with sex.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the legend of Milkman's great grandfather?
2. How does Hagar try to kill Milkman as he is lying on the couch?
3. Why do the beatings of Ruth finally stop in the Dead household?
4. What is Susan's response to Milkman's questions about his grandmother, Sing?
5. Why does Milkman decide to travel to Danville?
6. When Milkman is 31, what is he out doing before Christmas?
7. What does Milkman's friend, Guitar, talk him into that is forbidden by Milkman's father?
8. What is the job that First Corinthians takes?
9. What does Milkman notice about himself as he grows older?
10. What makes Macon excited as Milkman is arguing his point in #25?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The ongoing debate over nature vs. the ideals of society is one that plays out in this novel, especially with those in the Dead family.
Part 1 - Compare and contrast Pilate and Macon. How do they live and how does this relate to society?
Part 2 - Do you feel society plays a large role in the decisions we make or does our upbringing play a larger role? Why?
Part 3 - Does society cause us to be who we are or does family? Give examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
The Seven Days organization is one that seems to be based on the idea of revenge, rather than making things better. Morrison has created a system that seems to be evil, though a reader can understand the frustration.
Part 1 - Describe The Seven Days organization, what it does, and how it does it.
Part 2 - Name the characters who are in the organization as well as the days they are assigned to, if mentioned in the book.
Part 3 - Do you believe there are organizations that exist in this world like The Seven Days? Why or why not?
Part 4 - Are the members of The Seven Days bad people? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Gold seems to be the thing on many of the men's minds in this book. But while they are all unsuccessful, they still seem to long for that which they can not have.
Part 1 - Describe Macon's search for the gold in the story. What are his motivations for getting the gold?
Part 2 - Describe Milkman's quest for the gold in the story. What are his motivations?
Part 3 - Describe Guitar's quest for the gold. What are his motivations? What does it cause him to do? Why do you think he resorted to violence?
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)