|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On the highway between the Grand Canyon and Salt Lake City, who does Jane race against?
2. Why does Joley believe this is why she was spared?
3. How does Oliver confidently form a plan to track Jane and Rebecca?
4. Why does Joley believe that Rebecca was spared?
5. Over breakfast, where does Jane tell Rebecca is their next destination?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jane feel about her father's death?
2. How does Jane end up covered in manure?
3. What happens after Jane and Rebecca speed past Ernie Barb?
4. Why does Joley help Jane?
5. Why does Joley not want Jane to send Rebecca back to Oliver?
6. How do Sam and Jane finally become civil toward one another?
7. What happens when Jane and Rebecca meet Joseph Tall Neck?
8. What has become of Oliver and Jane's marriage?
9. How do Jane and Rebecca celebrate Rebecca's fifteenth birthday?
10. What takes place during Sam and Joley's conversation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Rebecca's chapters are told in reverse chronological order.
Part 1) Describe the story that is told throughout Rebecca's chapters.
Part 2) Why are her chapters in reverse chronological order? How does this affect the telling of this story?
Part 3) One chapter breaks from this pattern. Describe this chapter. Why does it break with the reverse chronology? How does this affect the chapters prior to and after this chapter?
Essay Topic 2
The author builds dislike for Oliver.
Part 1) How does the author build dislike for Oliver? Why does she build this dislike?
Part 2) How does this add contrast to the story? How does this contrast affect the story?
Part 3) How does the author, later in the book, show depth in this character? How does this building up of dislike add to the depth of the character?
Essay Topic 3
At the end of the book, Jane and Rebecca leave with some apples from the orchard.
Part 1) How do they end up with apples in their vehicle? How do they feel about this? Why?
Part 2) What do these apples symbolize? How do you know this?
Part 3) What might these apples signify about Jane and Rebecca's lives after the story ends? Explain.
This section contains 1,071 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)