|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Does Oliver believe that Jane will take Rebecca out of the country by plane?
2. At an ice cream parlor, what does Rebecca notice about her mother?
3. When the orchard suffered a parasite causing loss of half of the crop when Sam was fourteen, how did he comfort himself?
4. That night, what do Hadley and Rebecca promise?
5. Does Joley want Jane to send Rebecca back to Oliver?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jane feel about her father's death?
2. What does Joley write in his letter to Jane at Fishtrap, Montana?
3. How does Rebecca get to Hadley's mother's home?
4. How does Jane end up covered in manure?
5. Why does Joley help Jane?
6. How are Jane and Rebecca's role reversed?
7. What does Sam recall about his childhood?
8. How does Oliver feel about his abilities at intercepting Jane and Rebecca?
9. How do Jane and Rebecca celebrate Rebecca's fifteenth birthday?
10. How do Sam and Jane finally become civil toward one another?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the end of the book, Jane and Rebecca leave with some apples from the orchard.
Part 1) How do they end up with apples in their vehicle? How do they feel about this? Why?
Part 2) What do these apples symbolize? How do you know this?
Part 3) What might these apples signify about Jane and Rebecca's lives after the story ends? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
There is a telepathic connection between Jane and Joley.
Part 1) How do you know this?
Part 2) How has this connection come about? How does their past help bind these two characters together?
Part 3) How does the close relationship between these two characters affect their relationships with others? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Foreshadowing is frequently found in this story.
Part 1) Give two examples of foreshadowing. Explain what these examples foreshadow.
Part 2) What is the purpose of the foreshadowing in this book? What feelings does it evoke in the reader? Why?
Part 3) Why is foreshadowing used frequently? Does it enhance the story? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,112 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)