|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After a bi-plane flies overhead, what does Oliver reason?
2. On the highway between the Grand Canyon and Salt Lake City, who does Jane race against?
3. What can Jane's snobbishness not accept?
4. Why do Jane and Rebecca decide to sell the car?
5. How does Jane feel when Oliver stops having sex with her?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Jane and Rebecca celebrate Rebecca's fifteenth birthday?
2. What happens after Jane and Rebecca speed past Ernie Barb?
3. What has become of Oliver and Jane's marriage?
4. Describe the story Jane tells about being ten and goose hunting with her father.
5. What happens when Jane arrives at the next location to meet Jake?
6. Why do Sam, Hadley, and Joley tell stupid jokes?
7. How do Sam and Jane finally become civil toward one another?
8. What does Sam recall about his childhood?
9. How does Rebecca get to Hadley's mother's home?
10. How does Jane end up covered in manure?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In their few days together, Sam has become more intimate with Jane than Oliver has in over fifteen years.
Part 1) Describe Sam and Jane's time together. Compare their relationship with Jane and Oliver's relationship.
Part 2) Why is this relationship more intimate than one that has lasted for over fifteen years?
Part 3) What might this mean for Jane's relationships with these two men? Will she be able to stay with Oliver after forming a relationship with Sam? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
There is a telepathic connection between Jane and Joley.
Part 1) How do you know this?
Part 2) How has this connection come about? How does their past help bind these two characters together?
Part 3) How does the close relationship between these two characters affect their relationships with others? Why?
Essay Topic 3
At the end of the book, Jane and Rebecca leave with some apples from the orchard.
Part 1) How do they end up with apples in their vehicle? How do they feel about this? Why?
Part 2) What do these apples symbolize? How do you know this?
Part 3) What might these apples signify about Jane and Rebecca's lives after the story ends? Explain.
This section contains 1,074 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)