|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Joley believe that Rebecca was spared?
2. On July 15, 1990, Jane takes Rebecca to a YMCA to swim in what city?
3. Does Joley want Jane to send Rebecca back to Oliver?
4. What can Jane's snobbishness not accept?
5. That night, what do Hadley and Rebecca promise?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Sam and Jane finally become civil toward one another?
2. How does Oliver feel about his abilities at intercepting Jane and Rebecca?
3. What does Joley write in his letter to Jane at Fishtrap, Montana?
4. What happens after Jane and Rebecca speed past Ernie Barb?
5. Where does Jane go after the plane crash? What takes place here?
6. What does Oliver do, now that Rebecca and Jane have left?
7. What does Hadley reveal about Sam? How does the reader know that Hadley is attracted to Rebecca?
8. What does Joley write in his second letter to Jane?
9. What has become of Oliver and Jane's marriage?
10. Why does Joley help Jane?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jane and Rebecca run away, as if on autopilot.
Part 1) Why do they run away? How have they become, in a way, conditioned to run away?
Part 2) Do they believe this will fix their problems? Why or why not?
Part 3) How does this desire to run change as the story comes to and end? Why?
Essay Topic 2
At the end of the book, Jane and Rebecca leave with some apples from the orchard.
Part 1) How do they end up with apples in their vehicle? How do they feel about this? Why?
Part 2) What do these apples symbolize? How do you know this?
Part 3) What might these apples signify about Jane and Rebecca's lives after the story ends? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Joley sees Sam and Jane as soul mates.
Part 1) Describe the relationship between Sam and Jane. Why does Joley believe they are soul mates?
Part 2) What does this belief reveal about Joley and his idea of love? How does this compare to others' beliefs about love?
Part 3) Do you believe that Sam and Jane are soul mates? Why or why not? Will they end up together? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,012 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)