|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Rebecca sneak around to watch an argument between her parents?
(a) She wants to make sure her mother will be okay.
(b) She is curious about what they argue over.
(c) She watches every argument.
(d) They usually ignore each other.
2. Why does Jane cry?
(a) Under the weight of her secret.
(b) She does not love Sam.
(c) She misses Oliver.
(d) She loves Sam but knows he will never be hers.
3. What does Oliver yearn to do?
(a) See the whales on the east coast.
(b) Gather up his family and go home.
(c) Go back to work.
(d) Go home.
4. At the Slegg home, how does Oliver convince Mrs. Slegg into letting him check the house for his daughter?
(a) He threatens her.
(b) He kindly bullies her.
(c) He pleads with her.
(d) He blackmails her.
5. What does Joley describe in this chapter?
(a) Different kinds of love.
(b) His childhood.
(c) His family.
(d) His journeys.
6. What does Sam do when Jane tells her story and her fear of water?
(a) Sam sets her on the edge of the pond.
(b) Sam holds her tight.
(c) Sam laughs at her story.
(d) Sam carries Jane into shoulder-high water where they both ease underwater face to face.
7. What does Sam tell Hadley to do?
(a) Stay where he is.
(b) Marry Rebecca.
(c) Back away from Rebecca.
(d) Run away.
8. By the time Sam and Oliver return with the gas, what has happened?
(a) It is dark.
(b) They bought the wrong gas.
(c) The car has been towed.
(d) The car has a flat tire.
9. Why does Rebecca suggest that Jane dislikes Sam?
(a) He is uneducated.
(b) He is ugly.
(c) He is happy.
(d) He is unhappy.
10. For what does Jane wish when she tells Rebecca that she and Sam are friends?
(a) That he and Rebecca were friends.
(b) They were just acquaintances.
(c) That it were true.
(d) More than friendship.
11. What kind of pain is Jane causing Sam?
(b) Heart palpitations.
(c) Stomach pains.
(d) A two-day-old headache.
12. How does Jane's mother initially react when she tells her about her father molesting her?
(a) She denies it.
(b) She says she is sorry.
(c) She calls the police.
(d) She cries.
13. Between what does Jane feel torn?
(a) Her desire to be home and with Sam.
(b) Her love for Oliver and her love for Sam.
(c) Staying married and getting divorced.
(d) Pleasing herself or her daughter.
14. How does Jane learn that Oliver is proclaiming his love for her?
(a) Sam tells her.
(b) She turns on the news.
(c) Rebecca tells her.
(d) She receives a phone call.
15. What is Oliver's plan when he arrives at the orchard?
(a) To surprise Jane by waking her with a kiss.
(b) To find his daughter.
(c) To find Sam.
(d) To ask Jane for a divorce.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mica do after listening to Oliver's tale of woe?
2. What does Rebecca do when she realizes what has happened between her mother and Sam?
3. Why are Oliver and Jane's plans for a European honeymoon changed?
4. What does Jane whisper to Sam?
5. There, amid displays of fetuses and mammal hearts, what does Rebecca do to Jane?
This section contains 607 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)