|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. By the time Sam and Oliver return with the gas, what has happened?
(a) It is dark.
(b) They bought the wrong gas.
(c) The car has been towed.
(d) The car has a flat tire.
2. How does Arlo van Cleeb greet Rebecca?
(a) Like a stranger.
(b) Like a friend.
(c) Like a celebrity.
(d) Like family.
3. For what does Sam plead?
(a) Jane to go back to Oliver.
(b) A day with Jane.
(c) Jane to divorce Oliver.
(d) Jane to marry him.
4. What does Sam do when Jane tells her story and her fear of water?
(a) Sam carries Jane into shoulder-high water where they both ease underwater face to face.
(b) Sam sets her on the edge of the pond.
(c) Sam laughs at her story.
(d) Sam holds her tight.
5. Jane writes a letter to Joley bragging about doing what?
(a) Visiting Chicago.
(b) Seeing the plane's wreckage.
(c) Seeing a concert in Minneapolis.
(d) Riding a bus on one lap of the Indianapolis Speedway.
6. What has Sam put into the car?
(a) A ring.
(b) Bushels of apples.
(c) A card.
(d) A note.
7. How does Jane learn that Oliver is proclaiming his love for her?
(a) Rebecca tells her.
(b) She turns on the news.
(c) She receives a phone call.
(d) Sam tells her.
8. What does Sam do when he notices Jane's wedding ring?
(a) He flinches.
(b) He smiles.
(c) He cries.
(d) He ignores it.
9. There, amid displays of fetuses and mammal hearts, what does Rebecca do to Jane?
(a) She hugs her and tells her she loves her.
(b) She laughs at her.
(c) She leaves her.
(d) She cries on her shoulder.
10. What does Oliver hold up?
(a) A photo of his wife and daughter.
(b) An address.
(c) A convenience mart.
(d) A cell phone.
11. How does Jane respond when Oliver orders her to get Rebecca so they can leave?
(a) She does not respond.
(b) She says no.
(c) She screams at Oliver.
(d) She says okay.
12. What does Oliver demand of Sam?
(a) That he stay home.
(b) That he go with him in his car to get Rebecca.
(c) That he ride separately from him.
(d) That he call the police.
13. Why does Rebecca suggest that Jane dislikes Sam?
(a) He is unhappy.
(b) He is uneducated.
(c) He is happy.
(d) He is ugly.
14. What is Joley's goodbye present for Jane?
(a) He leads Oliver away, so Jane and Sam have time alone.
(b) He punches Oliver.
(c) He hugs her and hands her a card.
(d) He buys her a car.
15. Describe how Jane looks when they have finished?
Short Answer Questions
1. On the ride back to shore, about what does Oliver confide?
2. What does Oliver do when a humpback whale is beached at Gloucester, Massachusetts?
3. What does Jane tell Rebecca when she wakes?
4. What kind of pain is Jane causing Sam?
5. After a non-stop, three-day drive from Iowa, where does Oliver arrive?
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)