|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Jane describes the mutual disgust between who?
(a) The college-bound children of Newton and the Minuteman Tech students.
(b) The technical school-bound children of Newton and the Minuteman Tech college-bound students.
(c) Jane and Sam.
(d) The college-bound children of Newton and the Minuteman Tech college-bound students.
2. Where do Sam, Hadley, Jane, Rebecca and Joley go for a picnic and to swim?
(a) Portage Park.
(b) Pickerington Pond.
(c) Pickerel Pond.
(d) Poughkeepsie Park.
3. When Jane stained the oak door to Oliver's office, why did she shriek?
(a) The stain smelled bad.
(b) She saw the face of the devil in the wood grain.
(c) She spilled the stain on her clothes.
(d) He scared her.
4. That night, what do Hadley and Rebecca promise?
(a) To get married.
(b) To never see each other again.
(c) To run away.
(d) To find a way to be together.
5. Where does the boy say the woman and teen girl are headed?
(a) To Yellowstone National Park.
(b) To Massachusetts.
(c) To the Redwood Forest.
(d) On the highway to the Grand Canyon.
6. On July 25, 1990, fifteen-year-old Rebecca is hitchhiking to Hadley's mother's home alone on a rainy night with whom?
(c) Her mother.
(d) Two lecherous truckers.
7. Does Joley want Jane to send Rebecca back to Oliver?
(a) Right away.
8. When Joley asked Jane why she wanted to marry Oliver, what was Jane's response?
(a) It would take her out of her house.
(b) It would make everyone happy.
(c) It would take her away from Joley.
(d) She loves Oliver.
9. Why does Sam react rudely, driving Jane from the table?
(a) He finds her unattractive and annoying.
(b) He holds a grudge against Newton girls like Jane.
(c) He is in a bad mood.
(d) He does not like her.
10. Why does Sam undergo two operations?
(a) He is cross-eyed.
(b) He has trouble hearing.
(c) He has cancer.
(d) He cannot walk.
11. How does Jane's father react when Jane scares away the animals?
(a) He is surprised.
(b) He becomes slightly annoyed.
(c) He becomes enraged.
(d) He laughs.
12. What does Joley say when she tells him about leaving Oliver?
(a) He tells her to take a vacation.
(b) He tells her to try to work things out.
(c) He tells her get a divorce.
(d) He directs her to come to him.
13. What does Jane do when she spots Joley?
(a) She waves at him.
(b) She runs the other way.
(c) She walks over to him.
(d) She runs to him.
14. With whom is Elkezer in the photograph that Jane and Rebecca notice?
(a) Jumbo the Elephant.
(c) A clown.
(d) A whale.
15. Where does Jane long to be?
(a) On a sunny beach.
(b) Back in college.
(c) Back in the early years of their marriage when Oliver spoke to her about his discoveries.
(d) With someone else.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hadley do with Rebecca when she arrives at his mother's home?
2. While he waits in his hotel room, about what does he think?
3. In his instructions for the next leg of the journey, where does Joley direct Jane?
4. When does Oliver believe he will be back from finding his wife and daughter?
5. Rebecca spies on Sam and Jane who are where?
This section contains 597 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)