|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Jane feel when Oliver stops having sex with her?
(a) She is relieved that he is leaving her alone.
(b) She is angry that he will not do what she wants.
(c) She is not worried.
(d) She is afraid he is going to break up with her.
2. Does Oliver believe that Jane will take Rebecca out of the country by plane?
(b) Not right away.
3. Where does Oliver long to be?
(a) Near the West Coast humpback whales.
(b) Back in college.
(c) Near the East Coast humpback whales.
(d) In Europe.
4. Jane and Rebecca arrive in Minneapolis in time for what?
(a) Ride in a truck around the Speedway track.
(b) To witness the demolition of the old Pillsbury building.
(c) To visit with Jane's friends.
(d) A town festival.
5. That night, what do Hadley and Rebecca promise?
(a) To find a way to be together.
(b) To never see each other again.
(c) To run away.
(d) To get married.
6. Why does Joley believe that Rebecca was spared?
(a) She was very small.
(b) God was protecting her.
(c) Her plane crashed while Jane and Joley were arguing on the phone.
(d) She was in the best seat on the plane.
7. What do the Cosgroves use their insurance money to do?
(a) Buy a new condo.
(b) Build the same house.
(c) Buy a new house.
(d) Build the same house they had adding a large window removed from the John Hancock building.
8. When Joley asked Jane why she wanted to marry Oliver, what was Jane's response?
(a) It would take her away from Joley.
(b) It would take her out of her house.
(c) She loves Oliver.
(d) It would make everyone happy.
9. At an ice cream parlor, what does Rebecca notice about her mother?
(a) She is not complaining.
(b) She seems happier than usual.
(c) She is giddy in love with a man she seemed to despise.
(d) She is unhappy.
10. When does Oliver believe he will be back from finding his wife and daughter?
(a) In time to go to the humpback whale migration in Hawaii.
(b) In a couple of days.
(c) In a long time from now.
(d) In a week at the most.
11. What happens when Sam follows Jane to apologize?
(a) They fight.
(b) They shake hands in a truce.
(c) They continue to argue.
(d) They ignore each other.
12. Where does Jane act as a dutiful wife?
(a) At school and out to dinner with guests.
(b) At board meetings and public functions.
(c) At fundraisers for the San Diego Center for Coastal Studies.
(d) At all times.
13. Where does the boy say the woman and teen girl are headed?
(a) To the Redwood Forest.
(b) To Massachusetts.
(c) On the highway to the Grand Canyon.
(d) To Yellowstone National Park.
14. Where do Sam, Joley, and Hadley live?
(a) In the Big Barn.
(b) In the House Barn.
(c) In the Barn House.
(d) In the Big House.
15. What can Jane's snobbishness not accept?
(a) Happiness outside of greater academic achievement.
(b) Happiness outside of fame.
(d) Happiness outside of wealth.
Short Answer Questions
1. On July 25, 1990, fifteen-year-old Rebecca is hitchhiking to Hadley's mother's home alone on a rainy night with whom?
2. How does Jane's father react when Jane scares away the animals?
3. Why does Joley threaten to boycott the wedding?
4. When Joley asks if his sister and niece can stay on the farm for a while, does Sam agree to let them stay?
5. When the waitress flirts with him, what does he do?
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)