|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What archaic word in Section 31 refers to an ant?
2. What creature “in his tough pimples sleeps by the bayou” in Section 33?
3. What does the narrator claim “indicates the moment” in Section 44?
4. Who is described as the grandson of Kronos in Section 41?
5. The narrator contends that he is the teacher of what, in the opening of Section 47?
Short Essay Questions
1. With what “characters” does the poet relate in Sections 47 and 48 of the poem?
2. What sense and expression is discussed in the opening of Section 25?
3. With what individuals does the poet relate in Section 33?
4. How is the motif of the journey described in Section 46 of the poem?
5. What events take place in the battle described in Section 34 of the poem?
6. To what are flames compared in Section 28? Why?
7. How does Whitman address the vastness of the world in Section 33?
8. What does the poet question and attempt to answer in Section 40 of the poem?
9. How does Whitman address the faults of mankind in Section 32?
10. Why and how does Whitman turn to the sense of sound in Section 26?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe, analyze, and discuss the sense of “self” and the omniscient “I” presented in “Song of Myself.” How did Whitman’s perception of self in this poem relate to common public perception of the self at this time historically and culturally? How does Whitman’s “self” compare with the Holy Trinity, for example?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Whitman’s exploration of the sense of touch in “Song of Myself.” How does the poet describe the touch of others? What symbols and motifs examine touch? What sexual descriptions does Whitman use regarding the sense of touch?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the symbolism of the blade of grass that Whitman uses throughout “Song of Myself.” What have critics and scholars associated this motif with symbolically? How many times does the poet refer to the blade of grass in the poem? How does the grass relate to human existence?
This section contains 818 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)