* Abe, a magazine editor for Harper, is trying to talk Bobby, a writer, out of going to Calcutta on a trip paid for by the magazine.
* Bobby is planning to go and get some newly found material from M. Das - a poet that was thought dead.
* Abe calls Calcutta a scary place saying last time he was there; he saw a child sacrificed to open a new bridge.
* Abe was there as a reporter covering Gandhi's fast.
* Bobby refuses to cancel his trip and plans to take his Indian born wife as a translator, and their infant daughter, Victoria.
* Amrita and Bobby talk about the trip on the porch while Amrita nurses Victoria.
* Bobby talks about how extraordinary his daughter is compared to other babies.
* While making love the night before the trip, a cloud covers the moon making everything dark, which frightens Bobby.
This section contains 2,193 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)