|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With what tool had Trademaster hacked off half of each of Einar's feet after Einar had refused to trade with him?
(a) A machete.
(b) A saw.
(c) A scythe.
(d) A hatchet.
2. What is the most frightening aspect of Trademaster's appearance, according to Claire?
(a) His bad breath.
(b) His long dark hair.
(c) His gloved hands.
(d) His dark eyes.
3. What objects does Claire use to stop the bleeding of her wound?
(a) A strip of leather, some seaweed, and her signalling rock.
(b) Her shirt and herb salve.
(c) Herb salve and leaves.
(d) Rope and a strip of leather.
4. One village legend says that when Tall Andras had come upon Claire, he had uttered what one word aloud?
5. What does Claire do with the signalling rock before she throws it down to Einar?
(a) She wipes the blood from its surface.
(b) She breaks it in half.
(c) She writes a love note on it.
(d) She kisses it.
Short Answer Questions
1. Claire goes to see Einar on a winter day primarily in order to ask him about what aspect of his past?
2. What is NOT one of the signs listed among the signs that Alys's health is declining?
3. What color are Claire's eyes?
4. In what material does Alys wrap Claire after rubbing her dry with a rough cloth?
5. When Claire tells Einar that she wants to climb out, what is his first reply?
Short Essay Questions
1. What exercises does Einar give Claire to do until the winter is over?
2. What is the only thing Claire remembers from her past once she arrives in the village after fleeing the community by boat?
3. What is the reason for Bryn's falling into despair and how does Alys try to help?
4. What does Claire decide to do in order to regain her lost memories?
5. What is Trademaster's attitude toward Claire's longing for her son?
6. What idea does Einar get after seeing Claire hold Bryn's baby?
7. What elements of the job of fisherman make it dangerous for villagers who undertake the position?
8. What does Alys tell Claire about the power of scent?
9. What is the significance of Claire's outburst after Bryn gives birth to a healthy baby girl?
10. Why do Bethan, Delwyth, and Eira stop playing a pretend game involving babies and instead switch to playing tea party?
This section contains 945 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)