|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For what has Alys always yearned?
(a) A cat.
(b) A son.
(c) A rabbit.
(d) A daughter.
2. When Claire feels she has mastered the running of the hillside path, what does Einar do to make the task more difficult?
(a) He tells her to take off her shoes.
(b) He tells her to run backwards.
(c) He tells her to run a more difficult path.
(d) He ties her hands together.
3. Alys and Old Benedikt tell Tall Andras that Claire cannot be wed until what condition is met?
(a) He proves to be a good provider.
(b) The leader of the village gives his consent.
(c) Claire has regained her memory.
(d) Claire's parents are located.
4. What type of animal inspires the greatest fear in Claire once she arrives in the village?
5. Since giving birth to Bethan six years ago, how many children has Bryn lost before birth?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who had kept Einar's father from flinging his infant body into the fire on the day of Einar's birth?
2. What does Claire do with the signalling rock before she throws it down to Einar?
3. What is a selkie?
4. To whom does Einar's father send Einar when his arm is broken after his fall from the fishing boat's mast?
5. What type of footwear does Claire always wear during her time living in the village?
Short Essay Questions
1. What examples of Einar's father's abuse within Einar's story involve Alys?
2. What does Einar name as his primary strategy in surviving the abuse at his father's hand?
3. What elements of the job of fisherman make it dangerous for villagers who undertake the position?
4. What does Einar reveal to Claire about his father?
5. What exercises does Einar give Claire to do until the winter is over?
6. What is revealed about the relationship of Old Benedikt and Alys?
7. What is the significance of Claire's outburst after Bryn gives birth to a healthy baby girl?
8. What is the relationship between Alys and Old Benedikt?
9. For what purpose does Claire venture out of her house on a winter day to seek out Einar?
10. Though Alys is childless herself, what experience does she have that qualifies her for the care of Claire upon Claire's arrival in the village?
This section contains 998 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)