|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What label is affixed to the door that Claire finally sees Jonas enter the day she follows him?
(a) Hatchery Laboratory.
(c) Bicycle Repair.
(d) Nurturing Center.
2. In the recurring dreams Claire has in which she is hiding her son, where does she keep him hidden?
(a) In a treehouse.
(b) In a cupboard.
(c) In a bird's nest.
(d) In a drawer.
3. In an attempt to make the family's least favorite meal sound more appealing, what does Claire's mother say every time it arrives?
(a) It is high in vitamin D.
(b) It is better than nothing.
(c) Its arrival means they will have a good dessert.
(d) Its arrival means that at least they will not have it for another month.
4. At what meal does Claire first realize that every other worker is taking a pill besides her?
(b) Evening Snack.
5. When Claire goes to the school to pick up the biology posters, what is the reason that there are no children in the school?
(a) A fire drill is occurring.
(b) It is a Saturday.
(c) It is a Sunday.
(d) They have all gone to their volunteer jobs.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a behavior that Claire's son does NOT display during naptime at the Nurturing Center?
2. Why do the children in the schoolyard gaze curiously at Claire when she is on her way to the Fish Hatchery?
3. What assignments are announced during the Twelves's part of the Ceremony?
4. For what purpose does the male Nurturer find out the name of Claire's infant son?
5. When Claire finds herself trying to analyze her own feelings for the very first time, what adjective does she use to describe the one emotion she has always felt?
Short Essay Questions
1. For what reason are the Nurturers considering keeping Claire's son at the center for another year before assigning him to a parental unit?
2. What criterion does Claire give regarding how the Fish Hatchery had been chosen as her workplace and how does the criterion differ from others who work at the Fish Hatchery alongside her?
3. How does Claire feel about the river that borders the community?
4. What reason does Sophia provide for parental units wanting to receive their assigned children once they are a little older, rather than when they are infants?
5. How do the Nurturers respond to Claire's query asking if it would be alright if she visited the Nurturing Center again?
6. Why does Jeanette, one of the Fish Hatchery workers, feel surprise when the name Paul is given to one of the Newchildren at the Ceremony?
7. How is the boat's cook Marie described by the narrator?
8. What is Claire's son's comfort item and what had hers been during her childhood?
9. What are the elements of Claire's plan to find Sophia, her acquaintance who has a job at the Nurturing Center where Claire's son is being held, and how does it work out?
10. What is the cause of Dimitri's disappointment at the results of the Ceremony?
This section contains 1,212 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)