|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In an attempt to make the family's least favorite meal sound more appealing, what does Claire's mother say every time it arrives?
(a) It is high in vitamin D.
(b) Its arrival means that at least they will not have it for another month.
(c) It is better than nothing.
(d) Its arrival means they will have a good dessert.
2. What skill does Dimitri explain is unique to humans?
3. When Claire sees the male Nurturer on his bicycle, what does she see that gives her hope regarding his continued involvement with her son?
(a) A diaper bag on his shoulder.
(b) A child seat attached to his bicycle.
(c) A spit-up stain on his jacket.
(d) A stuffed hippo attached to his bicycle basket.
4. How many months after his birth does Claire teach her son to say her name aloud?
5. Dimitri tells the Fish Hatchery workers that a healthy diet does not include what?
6. Why do the children in the schoolyard gaze curiously at Claire when she is on her way to the Fish Hatchery?
(a) She is riding a tandem bicycle with no one in the second seat.
(b) She is riding a bicycle and everyone else walks.
(c) She is riding a scooter and everyone else drives cars.
(d) She is walking and everyone else rides bicycles.
7. What reason does Claire give for her son's lack of distress upon her departure?
(a) He has not formed attachments to anyone.
(b) He knows she will be back.
(c) He loves the male Nurturer.
(d) He knows his mother would never leave him permanently.
8. What does the male Nurturer tell Claire would happen if he were to apply for a variance to try to adopt Claire's son?
(a) His wife would apply for an annulment.
(b) He would be exiled from the community.
(c) He would have to create a law allowing such a variance.
(d) He would have to add another room to his dwelling.
9. What skill does Claire tell the boat worker that the members of her community are required to learn at the age of five?
(a) To draw.
(b) To ride a bicycle.
(c) To swim.
(d) To rollerskate.
10. At what meal does Claire first realize that every other worker is taking a pill besides her?
(b) Evening Snack.
11. In the recurring dreams Claire has in which she is hiding her son, where does she keep him hidden?
(a) In a bird's nest.
(b) In a treehouse.
(c) In a drawer.
(d) In a cupboard.
12. What keeps Claire from asking the boat worker the questions she would like to ask him about Elsewhere?
(a) She thinks that asking such questions will make him think she is flirting with him.
(b) She thinks that asking such is probably against the rules of the boat workers' union.
(c) She thinks that asking such questions is rude.
(d) She thinks that asking such questions is probably against the rules of the community.
13. Sophia tells Claire that the best time for her to come back to see her at the Nurturing Center is during what time?
(a) Play time.
(b) Feeding time.
(c) Nap time.
(d) Indoctrination time.
14. When Jeanette mentions that everyone liked her father, she says he had been quiet, but what?
15. The normal procedure for a Birthmother is to take the pills for how many months before getting ready to produce her second Product?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Claire's family's least favorite delivered meal?
2. Once the maximum number of Newchildren is reached for the year, there are no more born until after what event?
3. How old is Claire when she gives birth to the Product?
4. For what reason does Claire decide not to try to take her son out of the Nurturing Center during her second visit?
5. When Jonas is skipped during the Twelves's part of the ceremony, the Chief Elder announces that Jonas is not being assigned, but is instead being what?
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)