|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What name does she believe to be her son's after she overhears the male Nurturer using it?
2. What is the last fully formed memory that Claire has of her final moments in the community?
(a) The back of her son's head as the male Nurturer rides away on the bicycle.
(b) Telling her son goodbye.
(c) Skipping rope with a few of the other Fish Hatchery workers.
(d) Weeping uncontrollably.
3. A community citizen is given his or her own dwelling only after what event occurs?
(a) Assignment of a gender.
(b) Assignment of a job.
(c) Assignment of a spouse.
(d) Assignment of a Newchild.
4. What does the male Nurturer tell Claire would happen if he were to apply for a variance to try to adopt Claire's son?
(a) He would have to add another room to his dwelling.
(b) He would be exiled from the community.
(c) His wife would apply for an annulment.
(d) He would have to create a law allowing such a variance.
5. When Claire is at lunch and is surprised at her table mate's comment that going into labor causes pain, what word does she tell her table mate had been used within her instruction instead?
6. The boat worker tells Claire that the boat on which they travel is special due to what quality?
(a) It can go twice as fast as other boats.
(b) It can generate its own drinking water.
(c) Its maintenance is being subsidized by the government.
(d) It can sail in either the river or the sea.
7. How many Newchildren are allowed to be born each year within the community?
8. What type of body of water borders the community in which Claire grows up?
(a) A bay.
(b) A lake.
(c) An ocean.
(d) A river.
9. What is the name of the male Nurturer's son?
10. What reason does the male Nurturer give for not telling Claire her son's name?
(a) He says that he has forgotten it.
(b) He says he does not want her to get attached.
(c) He says that it is too hard to pronounce.
(d) He says he would get in big trouble if he told anyone.
11. What kind of noise is made that summons everyone at the Fish Hatchery to the evening meal?
(a) A sigh.
(b) A horn.
(c) A bell.
(d) A buzzer.
12. In what month of the year does the Ceremony always take place in the community?
13. Why are the Vessels given blindfolds as they go into labor?
(a) So they do not see their Products.
(b) So they can meditate throughout the birth.
(c) So they will not see their own anatomy.
(d) So they will not see the faces of the midwives.
14. What skill does Dimitri explain is unique to humans?
15. The male Nurturer teaches Claire's son to respond in what way whenever Claire says bye-bye?
(a) He teaches him to flap his arms.
(b) He teaches him to wave.
(c) He teaches him to whistle.
(d) He teaches him to say bye-bye.
Short Answer Questions
1. What assignments are announced during the Twelves's part of the Ceremony?
2. Though citizens of the community make their way around using only bicycles, large deliveries are transported by what type of vehicle?
3. Sophia tells Claire that the best time for her to come back to see her at the Nurturing Center is during what time?
4. What keeps Claire from asking the boat worker the questions she would like to ask him about Elsewhere?
5. Dimitri tells the Fish Hatchery workers that a healthy diet does not include what?
This section contains 656 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)