|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do they take this action?
2. Where do Crab and Jimmy enter as they cross a bridge?
3. What does Crab receive from the person they encounter next?
4. What happens to Jimmy on his way to the place where he'll spend the night?
5. What does Frank rent?
Short Essay Questions
1. What response does Rydell make?
2. What do Crab and Jimmy do in the morning?
3. What is Crab's reaction when Jimmy tells him that he called Mama Jean?
4. Why does Crab tell Jimmy to go to the room and stay there alone all night?
5. Where do Crab and Jimmy stay in Chicago?
6. What does Crab do when Jimmy gets back with the aspirin he asked him to get?
7. What does the conjure man tell Crab?
8. What does Crab ask Jimmy to say when he calls Rydell?
9. What had Crab's plan for the night been?
10. What does Jimmy think about when he tries to think about Crab as a child?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How likely is Jimmy to go to school, and be a good student, as a result of the events described in the novel? What would happen in a sequel to "Somewhere in the Darkness"?
Essay Topic 2
What is missing from this book? What should have been covered or presented that was not? What is the effect of this absence? Describe an element that ought to have been covered, and explain why it would have made the book stronger.
Essay Topic 3
Write a character sketch of the author based on his style and content. What values does he hold dear? What are his hopes and fears? What kind of person do you think he is? Anchor your sketch in passages in the book.
This section contains 504 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)