|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Crab tell Jimmy?
2. Where do Crab and Jimmy go from this place?
3. Who is Frank?
4. What does Jimmy think about doing after he gets back from Crab's errand?
5. Where do Crab and Jimmy enter as they cross a bridge?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Crab's reaction when Jimmy tells him that he called Mama Jean?
2. What does Crab tell Jimmy about his own father?
3. Why does Crab tell Jimmy to go to the room and stay there alone all night?
4. Where does Jimmy go to collect Crab, and how do they pass the night?
5. What had Crab's plan for the night been?
6. What makes Crab nervous about leaving the diner?
7. What does Crab do when Jimmy gets back with the aspirin he asked him to get?
8. Describe Crab's interaction with Frank.
9. What does Jimmy think about when he thinks of Mama Jean?
10. Where do Crab and Jimmy go after they secure a place to stay?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the difference between North and South in "Somewhere in the Darkness"? How does that difference reflect the difference between Crab and Jimmy?
Essay Topic 2
Write a character sketch of the author based on his style and content. What values does he hold dear? What are his hopes and fears? What kind of person do you think he is? Anchor your sketch in passages in the book.
Essay Topic 3
Would you recommend "Somewhere in the Darkness"? For what purposes would you recommend "Somewhere in the Darkness", and what kinds of readers would you recommend it for? What other book would you recommend that would cover the same material or tell the same story in a different way?
This section contains 527 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)