|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Crab and Jimmy drive next?
2. Why does Frank threaten to beat Crab up?
3. What does the person Crab and Jimmy talk to do after they leave?
4. What does Crab do when they arrive?
5. Where do Crab and Jimmy go in the morning?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jimmy think about when he tries to think about Crab as a child?
2. What response does Rydell make?
3. What does Crab tell Jimmy about his own father?
4. How does Jimmy find out that Crab is sick?
5. Where do Crab and Jimmy stay in Chicago?
6. What does Crab do when Jimmy gets back with the aspirin he asked him to get?
7. What had Crab's plan for the night been?
8. Why does Crab tell Jimmy to go to the room and stay there alone all night?
9. Where do Crab and Jimmy stop in Chicago?
10. Where do Crab and Jimmy go after the diner?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How would you characterize the author's writing style? How is language itself a character in the story? Is it supposed to be transparent, or does the author draw attention to his use of language?
Essay Topic 2
Evaluate your own reading of 'Somewhere in the Darkness'--did you resist it, or were you compelled by the story? What does your reading tell you about yourself and your interests? Use specific examples from the book to describe yourself as a reader.
Essay Topic 3
Use the book as a meditation on the value of a five-star rating system. Is a five-star system sufficient to a book like this? Would you need to have sub-topics for the rating system, for plot, characterization, language, etc? What other sub-topics would you need? What value or importance gets lost in a five-star scale? Design a scale that would be better for this book.
This section contains 509 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)