|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Frank?
2. What do Crab and Jimmy stop for next?
3. Where do Crab and Jimmy enter as they cross a bridge?
4. What is Crab's response after Jimmy makes his call?
5. What does this tell Crab after this visit?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where do Crab and Jimmy go after the diner?
2. What does Jimmy do when Crab is distracted?
3. What does Crab do when Jimmy gets back with the aspirin he asked him to get?
4. What do Crab and Jimmy do in the morning?
5. Where does Jimmy go to collect Crab, and how do they pass the night?
6. How does Jimmy find out that Crab is sick?
7. Where do Crab and Jimmy stay in Chicago?
8. What does Crab tell Jimmy about his own father?
9. What does Jimmy think about when he tries to think about Crab as a child?
10. What had Crab's plan for the night been?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How would you characterize the author's writing style? How is language itself a character in the story? Is it supposed to be transparent, or does the author draw attention to his use of language?
Essay Topic 2
Use the book as a meditation on the value of a five-star rating system. Is a five-star system sufficient to a book like this? Would you need to have sub-topics for the rating system, for plot, characterization, language, etc? What other sub-topics would you need? What value or importance gets lost in a five-star scale? Design a scale that would be better for this book.
Essay Topic 3
What makes Crab a father for Jimmy? That is, how does he play that role? What kind of father is Crab?
This section contains 484 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)