|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the protagonist?
2. What does Cookie give Jimmy?
3. How trustworthy is Crab in Jimmy's eyes?
4. What do Mama Jean and Crab talk about?
5. Where does Crab park the car when they stop?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Crab explain having been arrested in spite of being innocent?
2. What makes Crab nervous when they stop?
3. What is Mama Jean's response to Crab's arrival?
4. What does Jimmy do after Crab finds him?
5. What happens when Jimmy arrives in his classroom?
6. Where does Jimmy find himself when he wakes up in the car?
7. Describe Jimmy's departure with Crab.
8. Where does Jimmy live?
9. Where are Jimmy's parents?
10. How did Crab come to see Jimmy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How would you characterize the author's writing style? How is language itself a character in the story? Is it supposed to be transparent, or does the author draw attention to his use of language?
Essay Topic 2
How likely is Jimmy to go to school, and be a good student, as a result of the events described in the novel? What would happen in a sequel to "Somewhere in the Darkness"?
Essay Topic 3
Write an evaluative review of "Somewhere in the Darkness". What is this book's place in culture? What are its uses? Who is its audience? What are its limitations?
This section contains 487 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)