|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Crab admit openly?
2. What does Jimmy suspect Crab was really doing when Jimmy woke up on the road?
3. Who is Cookie?
4. What is Jimmy's race?
5. What does the man ask Jimmy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Jimmy's situation with school?
2. What is Mama Jean's response to Crab's arrival?
3. Where does Crab intend to take Jimmy?
4. What does Crab's story have to do with the trip he is taking with Jimmy?
5. What is the destination of Crab's trip with Jimmy?
6. What makes Crab nervous when they stop?
7. What is Jimmy's relationship with Mama Jean?
8. How did Crab come to see Jimmy?
9. How does Crab behave when Cookie knocks on the door?
10. Describe Jimmy's departure with Crab.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the end of the novel, Jimmy asks Crab what the goal of going to California would be. How important are goals in "Somewhere in the Darkness"? Does a plan need to have a goal for it to be important? Which characters have different beliefs about this question?
Essay Topic 2
In what ways is Mama Jean a better parent than Crab? In what ways is she not? What does Crab teach Jimmy that Mama Jean could not, and vice versa?
Essay Topic 3
How surprising is "Somewhere in the Darkness"? What did you expect from the opening chapters, and where did the book diverge from your expectation? How did the book set you up to believe one thing, and then give you another? Where was the suspense generated?
This section contains 496 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)