|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Jimmy's domestic situation?
2. What do Jimmy and Crab eat when they stop?
3. What does Crab tell Jimmy about his time in jail?
4. What is Jimmy's class preparing for?
5. What does Cookie tell Jimmy?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Crab behave when Cookie knocks on the door?
2. What happens when Jimmy finally makes it to school?
3. Describe Jimmy's departure with Crab.
4. What favor does Crab do for Mama Jean?
5. What is the destination of Crab's trip with Jimmy?
6. What does Jimmy do after Crab finds him?
7. What happens when Jimmy arrives in his classroom?
8. Where does Crab intend to take Jimmy?
9. What is Jimmy's relationship with Mama Jean?
10. What does Crab's story have to do with the trip he is taking with Jimmy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the different visions of parenthood in "Somewhere in the Darkness", and how do other people's ideas complement or conflict with Crab's method of being a parent? How are parents supposed to act, based on "Somewhere in the Darkness"?
Essay Topic 2
Crab's illness makes it impossible for him to play more than an episodic role in Jimmy's life. How else does his illness figure in the book? Is it a symbol or a metaphor? What does it symbolize? What clues does the author give us, that Crab's illness might mean more than just his individual sickness?
Essay Topic 3
What kind of morality or values does Jimmy learn from his experience with his father? Does he learn to respect the law? Does he learn not to? What law does he learn to respect? How does he learn this? How does it change or define the beliefs he had in the beginning?
This section contains 535 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)