|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Crab tell Jimmy about his time in jail?
2. How long has this gap between intention and action been going on, as the novel begins?
3. What impression do we get of Jimmy's personality?
4. What changes Mama Jean's mood?
5. What is Jimmy's status in Crab's eyes?
Short Essay Questions
1. What favor does Crab do for Mama Jean?
2. Where does Jimmy find himself when he wakes up in the car?
3. What is the destination of Crab's trip with Jimmy?
4. What does Crab's story have to do with the trip he is taking with Jimmy?
5. How did Crab come to see Jimmy?
6. Who does Jimmy think is looking for him?
7. What makes Crab nervous when they stop?
8. What does Jimmy do after Crab finds him?
9. How does Crab behave when Cookie knocks on the door?
10. How does Crab explain having been arrested in spite of being innocent?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what ways is Mama Jean a better parent than Crab? In what ways is she not? What does Crab teach Jimmy that Mama Jean could not, and vice versa?
Essay Topic 2
Where is the climax of this book? Are there different climaxes? What questions does each climax resolve? What questions does each climax leave unanswered?
Essay Topic 3
Crab's illness makes it impossible for him to play more than an episodic role in Jimmy's life. How else does his illness figure in the book? Is it a symbol or a metaphor? What does it symbolize? What clues does the author give us, that Crab's illness might mean more than just his individual sickness?
This section contains 595 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)