|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Crab tell Jimmy about the trip to Chicago?
(a) He heard that his job there disappeared.
(b) He never planned to make it.
(c) He will get there after going to see Arkansas.
(d) He could never have done that job anyway.
2. What does Cookie give Jimmy?
(a) A drink.
(c) An umbrella.
3. What is Jimmy's response to the move to Chicago?
(a) He is ready to go, without any regrets.
(b) He is terrified and does not want to go.
(c) He is hesitant and frightened, but does not feel he can stand up for himself.
(d) He does not fight it.
4. What does Jimmy say when he sees Crab acting odd?
(a) He does not say anything.
(b) He says that he wants to go home.
(c) He says that he wants to take care of Crab.
(d) He says that he wants to help Crab make things right.
5. Why did this person shift the blame to Crab?
(a) Because he had prior convictions, and would be sentenced to life this time.
(b) To avoid it himself.
(c) Because he had made so much money, he could afford to quit crime for good now.
(d) Because he knew that he could get away with it.
6. What does Jimmy do instead of going to school?
(a) Goes to the movies.
(b) Play games with other truants.
(c) Writes stories.
(d) Wanders around the city.
7. Where is the novel set?
(b) New York.
(c) San Francisco.
8. Why does Crab have to leave as soon as possible?
(a) His parole.
(b) Some criminals.
(c) He is running from the law.
(d) His money is running out.
9. What does Crab say he was afraid of before he was released?
(a) That he would never be able to change.
(b) That he would be remembered for his crimes, not his ideas.
(c) That he wouldn't see Jimmy again.
(d) That he was going to be killed.
10. What is Jimmy's status in Crab's eyes?
(a) He is the only person whose ideas matter to him any more.
(b) He is the only person who does not know the truth about him.
(c) He is the only one left who might care about him.
(d) He is still impressionable and can be told anything about Crab's background.
11. When did Jimmy's father go away?
(a) When Jimmy was twelve.
(b) When Jimmy was born.
(c) When Jimmy was two.
(d) When Jimmy was five.
12. What does the man ask Jimmy?
(a) Whether he is satisfied that he is Jimmy's father.
(b) Whether he wants to run away.
(c) Whether he wants to go to school.
(d) Whether he wants to keep living with Mama Jean.
13. What does Crab want Jimmy to know about him?
(a) That he should never have made the decisions that led him into crime.
(b) That he had not protected himself against being framed.
(c) That he had done worse things that had not been punished.
(d) That he is not a killer.
14. Who died in the events for which Crab was arrested?
(a) A woman.
(b) A fellow thief.
(c) A child.
(d) A guard.
15. What makes Crab uneasy when they stop?
(a) A policeman.
(b) He sees someone he had a fight with.
(c) The tires are nearly flat.
(d) Smoke from the engine.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mama Jean's relation to Jimmy?
2. What does Crab have in Chicago?
3. Who is the protagonist?
4. Where do Crab and Jimmy go when Crab comes back?
5. What is Jimmy doing when the novel begins?
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)