|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What make Jordan really upset about others in relation to Alexandra?
2. When does Jordan suddenly arrive?
3. What does Jordan notice is gone?
4. What does Fawkes' staff intercept?
5. Why does Jordan dismiss his scribe and cancel his appointments?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Alexandra do that upsets Jordan the next morning and what does he order her to do?
2. Why is Alexandra's status as a young, desirable widow worrisome to the Dowager Duchess?
3. Why does the Dowager ask Lord Ponsonby to dance with Alexandra and how does she respond?
4. What happens as Jordan is talking with Lord Camden and what does Jordan do as a result?
5. How does Jordan learn the truth about Alexandra's behavior while he was imprisoned?
6. What does Anthony tell Alexandra that begins her getting over grieving Jordan?
7. How is Anthony and Alexandra's marriage halted just before the pronouncement of husband and wife?
8. What two small mistakes does Alexandra make on the night of her coming out?
9. What gossip does the Dowager Duchess start?
10. What does Jordan initiate on the picnic and how does it reveal his feelings for Alexandra?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Define irony in literary terms. Discuss the irony of the situation whereby when Alexandra begins to pry into Joran's life, she sees that there is more to him than meets the eye.The irony in this is that Jordan is thinking the same thing of her. Discuss two other incidences of irony in Something Wonderful.
2. Define symbolism in literary terms. Discuss the use of and meaning of five symbols found in Something Wonderful.
3. Discuss the use of foreshadowing in literature. What is the purpose of foreshadowing? Cite 3 examples of foreshadowing and how it is used to indicate events to come in Something Wonderful.
Essay Topic 2
The topic of marriage is woven throughout Something Wonderful. Discuss the following:
1. Discuss the following attitudes toward marriage that the following characters seem to take: Alexandra (both at the beginning of the novel and at the end); Jordan (both at the beginning of the novel and at the end), Lady Catherine Harrington, Jordan's mother, Mrs. Lawrence and The Dowager Duchess.
2. How do you think the characters listed above would view marriage if they had similar personalities but lived in the 21st century United States?
3. If you were someone who knew nothing of England and her social customs of the time and took a couple years to observe its people, what would you say about the institution of marriage in England at the time (early 1800s)?
Essay Topic 3
Something Wonderful ends on a happy note. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think many (most?) people want what they perceive as a happy or good ending to a novel? Explain your opinion. Do you? Why or why? not?
2. What are at least three reasons to read fiction? Discuss each one in light of Something Wonderful and if it fulfills some or all of the reasons you mention. Give examples as to why Something Wonderful is or is not successful in fulfilling the reasons you discuss.
3. Do you think reading solely for entertainment is as good a reason to read as any other? Why or why not? Can any work of fiction or non-fiction, no matter how poorly written, enlighten, teach, stimulate thought? Why or why not?
4. Would you have wished the ending to be different? Why or why not? Would that have changed what the author wished to convey with the book?
This section contains 1,365 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)