|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Alexandra feel after the picnic with Jordan?
2. When does Jordan suddenly arrive?
3. What had Jordan thought of the entire time he is imprisoned?
4. Who does the Dowager choose to marry Alexandra?
5. How does Jordan act for the next several days?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jordan initiate on the picnic and how does it reveal his feelings for Alexandra?
2. What does Alexandra do that upsets Jordan the next morning and what does he order her to do?
3. What is Alexandra's first response to Jordan's anger and how does Melanie change Alexandra's attitude?
4. What two small mistakes does Alexandra make on the night of her coming out?
5. Describe the scene when Bertie confesses and the aftermath.
6. What does everyone not know about Jordan at the time of Alexandra's coming out ball?
7. What do Alexandra and Jordan do that helps them relax with each other?
8. What gossip does the Dowager Duchess start?
9. Why does the Dowager ask Lord Ponsonby to dance with Alexandra and how does she respond?
10. What increases Fawkes' belief that Alexandra and Anthony are plotting to kill Jordan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Jordan and Alexandra arrive at an the first night of their wedding, Jordan tells Alexandra that she shouldn't worry about tonight, that he has no intention of sleeping with her. Alexandra agrees and says she never imagined he would because he would probably prefer sleeping in a room by himself, especially since she flails like a fish. Alexandra is obviously so naive, she misunderstands what Jordan is implying. Discuss the following:
1. Define Bildungsroman, or "Coming of Age," and give several examples from literature you have read.
2. Trace and analyze the character of Alexandra as she changes from a rather naive woman to a sadder, but wiser, woman. What are the significant events that change Alexandra?
3. After thoroughly analyzing Aleandra's growth, do you think Something Wonderful could be considered Alexandra's Coming of Age story? Why or why not?
4. Are there any other characters in Something Wonderful who go through a Coming of Age experience? Who? Why do you think so?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss Something Wonderful based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if Something Wonderful is a successful novel.
3. Is Something Wonderful a novel you would recommend to a friend? Why or why not? Explain.
4. Can a novel be successful and yet many readers not enjoy it? Explain your response.
Essay Topic 3
Something Wonderful ends on a happy note. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think many (most?) people want what they perceive as a happy or good ending to a novel? Explain your opinion. Do you? Why or why? not?
2. What are at least three reasons to read fiction? Discuss each one in light of Something Wonderful and if it fulfills some or all of the reasons you mention. Give examples as to why Something Wonderful is or is not successful in fulfilling the reasons you discuss.
3. Do you think reading solely for entertainment is as good a reason to read as any other? Why or why not? Can any work of fiction or non-fiction, no matter how poorly written, enlighten, teach, stimulate thought? Why or why not?
4. Would you have wished the ending to be different? Why or why not? Would that have changed what the author wished to convey with the book?
This section contains 1,258 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)