|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sort of wife does Jordan want?
2. What happens when Jordan and Lord Camden are talking?
3. What does Jordan do on the picnic?
4. How does the poisoning affect Jordan?
5. Who does Alexandra correct?
Short Essay Questions
1. About what does Jordan confide in Alexandra?
2. What happens to Nordstrom?
3. What does Jordan hint about to Alexandra?
4. What does Jordan initiate on the picnic and how does it reveal his feelings for Alexandra?
5. How do Jordan and Alexandra differ in their reactions to being at Hawthorne?
6. What is Alexandra's first response to Jordan's anger and how does Melanie change Alexandra's attitude?
7. How does Jordan learn the truth about Alexandra's behavior while he was imprisoned?
8. What happens as Jordan is talking with Lord Camden and what does Jordan do as a result?
9. How does Lord Carstairs create more tension between Jordan and Alexandra?
10. What does the Dowager finally ask of Anthony and what is his response?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Gossip and rumors are found throughout Something Wonderful. Discuss the following:
1. What is one piece of gossip that you think is started maliciously? Who starts it? Why? Does it end up harming the person it is intended to harm? Why or why not? What effect does the gossip have on the person the gossip is about? What effect does the gossip have on one other character?
2. What is one piece of gossip that you think is started intentionally to help someone? Who starts it? Why? Does it end up helping or harming the person it is intended to help? Explain. What effect does the gossip have on the person the gossip is about? What effect does the gossip have on one other character?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of gossip as it is woven throughout Something Wonderful. Is the gossip always harmful? What are the motivations of those who start and perpetuate the gossip? What are the effects of the gossip?
4. Why do you think people gossip?
Essay Topic 2
The topic of marriage is woven throughout Something Wonderful. Discuss the following:
1. Discuss the following attitudes toward marriage that the following characters seem to take: Alexandra (both at the beginning of the novel and at the end); Jordan (both at the beginning of the novel and at the end), Lady Catherine Harrington, Jordan's mother, Mrs. Lawrence and The Dowager Duchess.
2. How do you think the characters listed above would view marriage if they had similar personalities but lived in the 21st century United States?
3. If you were someone who knew nothing of England and her social customs of the time and took a couple years to observe its people, what would you say about the institution of marriage in England at the time (early 1800s)?
Essay Topic 3
Many readers of fiction place themselves in the position of one character, wondering if they would do the same thing as that character. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think one of the values of literature is to serve as a reflection of oneself? Why or why not?
2. Socrates said "Know thyself." How can reading a book such as Something Wonderful help a reader to know him/herself? Do you find yourself reflecting on your own character and abilities when reading Something Wonderful? Why or why not.
3. Choose one specific incident in Something Wonderful to discuss and compare Jordan's or Alexandra's response to how you think you would respond.
This section contains 1,151 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)