|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one thing Alexandra points out to Jordan about them?
2. In what condition is Alexandra's coat of armor?
3. What does Jordan realize about his mother?
4. Why does everyone suddenly jump up in excitement?
5. Where does Alexandra land as she flies off the horse?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jordan see when he looks out the window after being in bed with Lady Catherine Harrington?
2. What does Alexandra bemoan as she is riding in the carriage?
3. How does Alexandra compare Jordan and herself?
4. What does Jordan say about women when he hears Lady's Catherine's indifference?
5. Briefly describe the discussion about caterpillars that Alexandra and her grandfather have.
6. What does Mrs. Lawrence think will save her family?
7. How does Alexandra change physically over the next few months?
8. How does Jordan respond after the bandits are no longer a threat?
9. What does Jordan decide about having sex with Alexandra?
10. What happens nine years later that makes Jordan decide to stop having sexual relations with married women?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Jordan and Alexandra arrive at an the first night of their wedding, Jordan tells Alexandra that she shouldn't worry about tonight, that he has no intention of sleeping with her. Alexandra agrees and says she never imagined he would because he would probably prefer sleeping in a room by himself, especially since she flails like a fish. Alexandra is obviously so naive, she misunderstands what Jordan is implying. Discuss the following:
1. Define Bildungsroman, or "Coming of Age," and give several examples from literature you have read.
2. Trace and analyze the character of Alexandra as she changes from a rather naive woman to a sadder, but wiser, woman. What are the significant events that change Alexandra?
3. After thoroughly analyzing Aleandra's growth, do you think Something Wonderful could be considered Alexandra's Coming of Age story? Why or why not?
4. Are there any other characters in Something Wonderful who go through a Coming of Age experience? Who? Why do you think so?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. Thoroughly discuss the character of Alexandra. What are her strengths? Weaknesses? How does she evolve over the course of the story? Is she likable at the beginning of the story? At the end of the book? Do you think she is a protagonist or antagonist? Why
2. Thoroughly discuss the character Jordan. What are his strengths? Weaknesses? How does he evolve over the course of the story? (or does he?) Is he likable at the beginning of the story? At the end of the book? Is he trustworthy? Wise? Would you want him as a friend? As an enemy?
3. Thoroughly discuss two other characters of your choosing. What are their strengths? Weaknesses? How do they evolve over the course of the story? (or do they?) Are they likable at the beginning of the story? At the end of the book? Are they trustworthy? Wise? Would you want them as friends? Are they likely to be enemies?
Essay Topic 3
Most protagonists are a mixture of admirable traits and character flaws, and Jordan and Alexandra are no exceptions. Discuss the following:
1. Trace and analyze situations when Jordan demonstrates his admirable qualities. Give specific examples to illustrate your analysis. Compare those to situations where he demonstrates his less-than-admirable traits.
2. Trace and analyze situations when Alexandra demonstrates her admirable qualities. Give specific examples to illustrate your analysis. Compare those to situations where she demonstrates her less-than-admirable traits.
3. Trace and analyze situation where two secondary characters demonstrates their admirable qualities. Give specific examples to illustrate your analysis. Compare those to situations where they demonstrates their less-than-admirable traits.
This section contains 1,111 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)