|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What enemy of Kurosawa's disappeared with the end of World War II?
(a) The military tribunal.
(b) A rival director.
(c) The censor board.
(d) An unscrupulous producer.
2. What happened to most of the actresses in The Most Beautiful after the shoot?
(a) They joined the war effort until the armistice.
(b) They went on to have stellar careers.
(c) They remained in his company.
(d) They retired.
3. Which famed director observed the filming of The Men Who Tread on the Tiger's Tail while the US was occupying Japan?
(a) Howard Hawks.
(b) Frank Capra.
(c) Orson Welles.
(d) John Ford.
4. Where was Akira directing when Yamamoto Kajiro took ill and died?
(a) The United States.
(d) The Soviet Union.
5. At the end of A Salmon's Old Stories, what does Kurosawa accuse Japanese directors of emulating?
(a) The theatre.
(b) His work.
(c) American films.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Fushimizu Shu's film specialty?
2. According to Kurosawa at the end of this section, what is the key to getting good work from actors?
3. What settled the debate regarding the cutting of the scene?
4. In A Story I Don't Want to Tell, who had a premonition that Akira's brother might kill himself?
5. What terrifying job did Yamamoto Kajiro give Akira as chief assistant?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Akira discover the similarity he had to his brother?
2. Describe Kurosawa's relationship with Japanese censors.
3. Who were Akira's major influences in becoming the man he became?
4. Why does Kurosawa think Sugata Sanshiro, Part II, was a failure?
5. What was Akira's editing experience under Yanamoto?
6. How did Akira accept japan's defeat in the war?
7. What was Kurosawa trying to evoke, visually, with Rashomon?
8. What terrible experience does Kurosawa relate at the end of An Alleyway in the Floating World?
9. What was the talent like at the PCL?
10. How did Rashomon catapult Kurosawa to a new level of international recognition?
This section contains 896 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)