|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the end of A Bitter War, who did Kurosawa run into from his past?
(b) His younger sister.
(c) The teacher he hated.
(d) Mr. Tachikawa.
2. What innovation made One Wonderful Sunday a sensation in Paris?
(a) Use of multiple languages.
(b) Audience interaction.
(c) Disjointed chronology.
(d) Surreal dream sequences.
3. Who ordered Kurosawa to cut a scene from a movie, which he refused?
(a) The governor of his Prefecture.
(b) His producers.
(c) The army.
(d) Mifune Toshiro.
4. What does Kurosawa blame for the failure of Sugata Sanshiro, Part II?
(a) Excessive censorship.
(b) Lack of funding.
(c) His lack of interest.
(d) Failure to secure the same actors.
5. The film One Wonderful Sunday reconnected Akira with whom?
(a) His father.
(b) Yamamoto Kajiro.
(c) Mr. Iwamatsu.
(d) Mr. Tachikawa.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Uekusa and Akira base the antagonist of The Drunken Angel on?
2. In An Alleyway in the Floating World, what bothered Akira about his brother's tenement?
3. In what time period does Rashomon take place?
4. After working on Horses, what does Kurosawa spend his life doing besides writing?
5. Which is not an additional job that assistant directors had on set with Yamamoto Kajiro?
Short Essay Questions
1. What character flaw does Akira Kurosawa admit to at the end of Something Like an Autobiography?
2. How did Akira discover the similarity he had to his brother?
3. Why does Kurosawa think Sugata Sanshiro, Part II, was a failure?
4. How did Kurosawa end up directing Sugata Sanshiro?
5. How did an army major and Akira Kurosawa come to an agreement regarding cutting a scene from one of his films?
6. What was Akira's editing experience under Yanamoto?
7. How did Rashomon catapult Kurosawa to a new level of international recognition?
8. What controversy does Kurosawa have filming a night scene in Sugata Sanshiro?
9. How did Mifune Toshiro and Kurosawa begin work together?
10. How did Akira become disillusioned with the Proletariat Artists League?
This section contains 941 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)