|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was PCL first established?
(a) To develop military technology.
(b) To research for sound films.
(c) To stock chain stores with simple film.
(d) To provide film for spy planes.
2. After the war, what did Akira make a conscious effort to learn about?
(a) Japanese art.
(b) American democracy.
(c) Confucian philosophy.
(d) European drama.
3. How did Kurosawa learn of Japan's defeat in the war?
(a) The studio head announces it.
(b) Via radio.
(c) By a newsreel.
(d) A newspaper.
4. What is the subject of The Drunken Angel?
(a) Two young lovers.
(b) The yakuza.
(c) The samurai.
(d) The Second World War.
5. At the end of Marriage, how did Akira decide to make more money?
(a) Write more screenplays.
(b) Edit more films.
(c) Draw from his inheritance.
(d) Take on a teaching job.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of A Salmon's Old Stories, what does Kurosawa accuse Japanese directors of emulating?
2. In Negative and Positive, what did an actor tell Akira his first day as an assistant director?
3. What adjective did the censors use to describe their problems with Sugata Sanshiro?
4. What separated Akira from his contemporaries on set with Yamamoto Kajiro?
5. In An Alleyway in the Floating World, how did the little girl respond to Akira's rescuing her?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Akira accept japan's defeat in the war?
2. How did Akira become disillusioned with the Proletariat Artists League?
3. What was Akira's editing experience under Yanamoto?
4. What was the talent like at the PCL?
5. How is Akira Kurosawa angered by the state of Japan's film industry?
6. How did Kurosawa's father's death affect his use of music in films?
7. How did Mifune Toshiro and Kurosawa begin work together?
8. How did Rashomon catapult Kurosawa to a new level of international recognition?
9. How did Kurosawa end up directing Sugata Sanshiro?
10. How did Akira's brother die?
This section contains 983 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)