|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did film-goers know that a particular night shot in Sugata Sanshiro was shot during the day?
(a) They heard lotus blossoms opening.
(b) They saw a tarp used to block the sun.
(c) There was no moonlight in the shot.
(d) They heard no crickets or frogs.
2. In An Alleyway in the Floating World, how long did Akira's brother let him stay in his tenement room?
(a) 1 week.
(b) 1 month.
(c) 5 years.
(d) 1 year.
3. What was the first position Akira took under Yamamoto Kajiro?
(a) Makeup assistant.
(b) Assistant director.
(c) Stand in.
(d) Set dresser.
4. Why does Akira Kurosawa think his brother killed himself?
(a) He lost the girl he wanted to marry him.
(b) He was about to lose his job.
(c) His screenplay had been rejected.
(d) He was dying of cancer.
5. Why did the censors remove a gate from a Kurosawa film?
(a) They thought it was a vaginal metaphor.
(b) The gate had an imperial symbol on it.
(c) It was shot on a state holiday.
(d) They did not want any films over 90 minutes.
6. Where did Kurosawa choose to shoot the fight scene from Sugata Sanshiro?
(a) On the roof of his house.
(b) In a thick forested area.
(c) On a mountain.
(d) On a soundstage.
7. According to Kurosawa at the end of this section, what is the key to getting good work from actors?
8. What was different about The Most Beautiful's shooting concept?
(a) There were documentary portions.
(b) It was shot without tripods or cranes.
(c) There was no dialogue.
(d) It was shot using only natural light.
9. What is the primary memory Kuosawa has of a Yamamoto Kajiro set?
(b) Fear of firing.
10. What terrifying job did Yamamoto Kajiro give Akira as chief assistant?
(a) Delivering notes to the lead actors.
(b) Scheduling shoot dates.
(c) Interfacing with the studio heads.
(d) Editing the film.
11. What world event caused the Japanese to censor domestic film, including Kurosawa's A German at Daruma Temple?
(a) The Depression.
(b) The Maoist revolution.
(c) The accession of Hirohito.
(d) The Pacific War.
12. After the war, what did Akira make a conscious effort to learn about?
(a) European drama.
(b) American democracy.
(c) Japanese art.
(d) Confucian philosophy.
13. What emotion did Mifune Toshiro choose to present in his audition from Akira Kurosawa?
14. Who ordered Kurosawa to cut a scene from a movie, which he refused?
(a) Mifune Toshiro.
(b) The governor of his Prefecture.
(c) His producers.
(d) The army.
15. Who became terrified when they happened upon the shoot of Sugata Sanshiro, Part II?
(a) A women's society.
(b) A group of elders.
(c) A group of campers.
(d) A group of skiers.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Kurosawa when he got married?
2. What adjective did the censors use to describe their problems with Sugata Sanshiro?
3. In An Alleyway in the Floating World, what bothered Akira about his brother's tenement?
4. What does Kurosawa admit he suffers from at the very end of SOMETHING LIKE AN AUTOBIOGRAPHY?
5. What separated Akira from his contemporaries on set with Yamamoto Kajiro?
This section contains 524 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)