|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the PCL?
(a) A film school.
(b) A sales firm.
(c) A massage parlor.
(d) A photo lab.
2. In An Alleyway in the Floating World, what bothered Akira about his brother's tenement?
(a) It is barely ventilated.
(b) It is in a Korean area of town,
(c) It is incredibly overpriced.
(d) It is riddled with crime.
3. What term does Kurosawa use to describe the Japanese censors in A Bitter War?
4. At the end of Marriage, how did Akira decide to make more money?
(a) Take on a teaching job.
(b) Draw from his inheritance.
(c) Write more screenplays.
(d) Edit more films.
5. Which of the following was the first movie that Uekusa and Akira wrote together?
(a) Drunken Angel.
(b) One Wonderful Sunday,
(c) Sugata Sanshiro, Part II.
(d) No Regret for Our Youth.
6. At what film festival was Rashomon hailed to the international Press?
(a) The Sundance Film Festival.
(b) The New York Film Festival.
(c) The Cannes Film Festival.
(d) The Venice Film Festival.
7. What does Kurosawa say was Takizawa's great talent in Good People?
(a) Staying under budget.
(b) Setting atmosphere.
(c) Using silence.
(d) Directing actors.
8. What did Akira's brother do three days before killing himself?
(a) Bought a cat.
(b) Sold his projector.
(c) Treated Akira to dinner.
(d) Married his girlfriend.
9. In A Story I Don't Want to Tell, who had a premonition that Akira's brother might kill himself?
(a) His mother.
(b) His grandfather.
(d) His younger sister.
10. On what does Kurosawa blame the loss of so many good Japanese directors?
(a) The film strike.
(b) A terrible national work ethic.
(c) The high salaries paid in Hollywood.
(d) Government intervention during the War.
11. What emotion did Mifune Toshiro choose to present in his audition from Akira Kurosawa?
12. Where did Kurosawa choose to shoot the fight scene from Sugata Sanshiro?
(a) On the roof of his house.
(b) On a soundstage.
(c) On a mountain.
(d) In a thick forested area.
13. Where was Akira directing when Yamamoto Kajiro took ill and died?
(a) The Soviet Union.
(d) The United States.
14. What innovation made One Wonderful Sunday a sensation in Paris?
(a) Use of multiple languages.
(b) Audience interaction.
(c) Disjointed chronology.
(d) Surreal dream sequences.
15. For what studio did Kurosawa make A Salmon's Old Stories?
(a) He privately distributes.
(b) Janus Films.
(d) Film Art Association.
Short Answer Questions
1. What world event caused the Japanese to censor domestic film, including Kurosawa's A German at Daruma Temple?
2. What terrifying job did Yamamoto Kajiro give Akira as chief assistant?
3. What did Akira primarily worry about concerning being a part of the Proletariat Artists League?
4. Who did Uekusa and Akira base the antagonist of The Drunken Angel on?
5. At the beginning of this section, what does Kurosawa has been a struggle for him?
This section contains 516 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)