|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What emotion did Mifune Toshiro choose to present in his audition from Akira Kurosawa?
2. Why was PCL first established?
(a) To provide film for spy planes.
(b) To research for sound films.
(c) To stock chain stores with simple film.
(d) To develop military technology.
3. Who joined Kurosawa in forming Film Art Association?
4. Which individual's death does Kurosawa not describe in the book?
(a) His older brother.
(b) His older sister.
(c) His mother.
(d) His father.
5. Why was the shooting of the final fight in Sugata Sanshiro held up for two days?
(a) An actor though it was unsafe.
(b) Kurosawa could not finish his shot list.
(c) There was no wind.
(d) It was not written yet.
6. Which Japanese director is not mentioned in Good People?
(a) Yasujiro Ozu.
(b) Fushimizu Shu.
(c) Takizawa Eisuke.
(d) Naruse Mikio.
7. Who did Uekusa and Akira base the antagonist of The Drunken Angel on?
(a) An unlicensed doctor they knew.
(b) A bully who once attacked Uekusa.
(c) The teacher they both hated.
(d) A Japanese war criminal.
8. What did Akira's brother do three days before killing himself?
(a) Treated Akira to dinner.
(b) Sold his projector.
(c) Married his girlfriend.
(d) Bought a cat.
9. What is the subject of The Drunken Angel?
(a) The samurai.
(b) Two young lovers.
(c) The Second World War.
(d) The yakuza.
10. In Negative and Positive, what did an actor tell Akira his first day as an assistant director?
(a) He should write for the movies.
(b) He is smarter than the director.
(c) He looks like his brother.
(d) He'll never make it in the industry.
11. What does Kurosawa say was Takizawa's great talent in Good People?
(a) Directing actors.
(b) Using silence.
(c) Staying under budget.
(d) Setting atmosphere.
12. What did Naruse Mikio use to build a scene?
(a) Many short shots.
(b) One establishing shot, and some closeups.
(d) A single, extended shot.
13. Which is not an additional job that assistant directors had on set with Yamamoto Kajiro?
(c) Serving as extras.
(d) Giving actor's direction.
14. What types of laws was Kurosawa critiquing with his film Scandal?
(a) Sex trafficking laws.
(b) Political funding laws.
(c) Freedom of speech laws.
(d) Source disclosure laws.
15. In An Alleyway in the Floating World, how did the little girl respond to Akira's rescuing her?
(a) She asks him to put her back.
(b) She cries and holds him.
(c) She barely acknowledges it.
(d) She kills herself.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did the censors remove a gate from a Kurosawa film?
2. At the end of A Salmon's Old Stories, what does Kurosawa accuse Japanese directors of emulating?
3. In An Alleyway in the Floating World, how long did Akira's brother let him stay in his tenement room?
4. What was the man who inspired a character in Scandal distraught over?
5. How many years did it take Akira Kurosawa to rise to chief assistant under Yamamoto Kajiro?
This section contains 503 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)