|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following was not a demand Kurosawa made of his actresses in The Most Beautiful?
(a) He makes them take jobs in a factory.
(b) He made them run laps.
(c) he would not let them use makeup.
(d) He made them cut off their hair.
2. At the end of A Bitter War, who did Kurosawa run into from his past?
(a) Mr. Tachikawa.
(c) The teacher he hated.
(d) His younger sister.
3. In A Coward and A Weakling, what position was Akira given at the League newspaper?
(a) Assistant editor.
(b) Beat reporter.
(c) Film reviewer.
(d) Op-ed columnist.
4. Which on-set worker was moved to tears while filming the final scene of The Quiet Duel?
(a) The assistant director.
(b) The script supervisor.
(c) The cameraman.
(d) The makeup girl.
5. At the end of Marriage, how did Akira decide to make more money?
(a) Take on a teaching job.
(b) Edit more films.
(c) Draw from his inheritance.
(d) Write more screenplays.
6. At what film festival was Rashomon hailed to the international Press?
(a) The Sundance Film Festival.
(b) The New York Film Festival.
(c) The Cannes Film Festival.
(d) The Venice Film Festival.
7. Which famed director observed the filming of The Men Who Tread on the Tiger's Tail while the US was occupying Japan?
(a) Howard Hawks.
(b) Orson Welles.
(c) Frank Capra.
(d) John Ford.
8. What was the first position Akira took under Yamamoto Kajiro?
(a) Stand in.
(b) Makeup assistant.
(c) Set dresser.
(d) Assistant director.
9. The film One Wonderful Sunday reconnected Akira with whom?
(a) His father.
(b) Mr. Iwamatsu.
(c) Mr. Tachikawa.
(d) Yamamoto Kajiro.
10. What did Akira primarily worry about concerning being a part of the Proletariat Artists League?
(a) Sounding foolish in from of the other members.
(b) Disgracing his family.
(c) Missing his appointments with Mr. Tachikawa.
(d) Looking like a weakling.
11. Akira Kurosawa cannot recall the name of which of these influential people?
(a) His directing mentor.
(b) His kendo instructor.
(c) His wife.
(d) His favorite art teacher.
12. How many years did it take Akira Kurosawa to rise to chief assistant under Yamamoto Kajiro?
13. Which Japanese director is not mentioned in Good People?
(a) Naruse Mikio.
(b) Takizawa Eisuke.
(c) Fushimizu Shu.
(d) Yasujiro Ozu.
14. Which individual's death does Kurosawa not describe in the book?
(a) His mother.
(b) His older sister.
(c) His older brother.
(d) His father.
15. Which Kurosawa film is not discussed in SOMETHING LIKE AN AUTOBIOGRAPHY?
(a) One Wonderful Sunday.
(c) Sugata Sanshiro.
(d) Drunken Angel.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was PCL first established?
2. What era was Kurosawa trying to capture in The Stray Dog?
3. What adjective did the censors use to describe their problems with Sugata Sanshiro?
4. For what studio did Kurosawa make A Salmon's Old Stories?
5. Who joined Kurosawa in forming Film Art Association?
This section contains 468 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)