|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was Akira Kurosawa initially rejected for military service?
(a) He was too weak.
(b) He was a home-front asset.
(c) He was a left-wing protester.
(d) He had an education deferment.
2. What resolution did Kurosawa make regarding his new art teacher?
(a) To get back at him for his wrongs.
(b) To repay him for his praise.
(c) To work harder to impress him.
(d) To ignore his criticism.
3. Which star's westerns does Kurosawa particularly recall enjoying in Storytellers?
(a) John Wayne.
(b) Clint Eastwood.
(c) William S. Hart.
(d) Roy Rogers.
4. In A Distant Village, what did Akira do when after he got drunk on sake?
(a) He fell in a rice paddy.
(b) He passed out next to a water ox.
(c) He kissed a strange woman.
(d) He vomited on his cousin.
5. What catastrophic event happened on September 1, 1923?
(a) An earthquake.
(b) A tornado.
(c) A firebombing.
(d) A typhoon.
6. What was the result of Uekusa's charge up a hill at a group of ruffians in Murasaki and Shonagon?
(a) He became leader og their group.
(b) He was knocked unconscious.
(c) He chased them off.
(d) He was beaten with rods.
7. At the end of The Fragrance of Meiji, the Sounds of Taisho, Kurosawa says that is sorry children of today do not have what?
(a) The fresh air he had.
(b) The quality of food he had.
(c) The sense of national pride he had.
(d) The sounds of his childhood.
8. How was Akira Kurosawa affected by seeing Forgotten Children in the theater?
(a) He loudly protests that it is lousy.
(b) He gives it a standing ovation.
(c) He weeps uncontrollably.
(d) He becomes ill and walks out.
9. In The Gleam of Fireflies, what grade was young Akira graduating from?
10. In addition to art, what was young Akira's favorite subject?
(b) Physical education.
11. Why was Akira Kurosawa humiliated in his early memory about his nurse?
(a) She never changed his diaper.
(b) She batted him around like a kitten.
(c) She dressed him like a girl.
(d) She held him while using the toilet.
12. How does Akira characterize the songs of the Taisho age in Japan?
13. What did young Akira do in Toyokawa Village to impress his fellow young people?
(a) Steal booze.
(b) Draw them pictures.
(c) Tell them about Tokyo.
(d) Jump off waterfalls.
14. How were the streets of Kurosawa's neighborhood lit the on night of September 1, 1923?
(d) Emergency generators.
15. Why was young Akira sent to Toyokawa Village?
(a) To learn the art of farming.
(b) To get some fresh air.
(c) To learn about his roots.
(d) To strengthen up.
Short Answer Questions
1. What relation was Togashi to Akira?
2. At the beginning of A Distant Village, Kurosawa says he never felt like what?
3. Who is the sapling of the chapter title in this section?
4. What weakness does Kurosawa concede in Keika Middle School?
5. In Honor and Revere, what exam did Kurosawa get 100 percent on?
This section contains 521 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)