|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did his mother replace the item that Kurosawa lost in his duel in Murasaki and Shonagon?
(a) She gave him another that belonged to his brother.
(b) She quietly buys him a new one.
(c) She goes back to the site of the duel that night and collects the lost item.
(d) She does not replace it.
2. What love besides movies did Akira's father pass down to him?
(a) Love of sports.
(b) Love of reading.
(c) Love of fine food.
(d) Love of beautiful woman.
3. What was the result of Uekusa's telling the girl's father that he loved her in Murasaki and Shonagon?
(a) He got beaten by the father.
(b) He won her hand in marriage.
(c) He got one date with her.
(d) He never saw her again.
4. How does Akira characterize the songs of the Taisho age in Japan?
5. How many family members did Akira Kurosawa lose in the events of September 1, 1923?
6. When the Depression hits Japan, what did Akira felt bad about his parents paying for what?
(a) His food.
(b) His education.
(c) His clothing.
(d) His kendo lessons.
7. What did Kurosawa's father insist he do if he is to take Kendo lessons?
(a) Read Lao Tsu.
(b) Get straight A's at school.
(c) Give up art lessons.
(d) Make daily offering at a temple.
8. Which of the following is not a daily appointment Kurosawa had to keep in childhood?
(a) Visiting his grandmother.
(b) Calligraphy lessons.
(c) Visiting Mr. Tachikawa.
(d) Kendo lessons.
9. What catastrophic event happened on September 1, 1923?
(a) A firebombing.
(b) An earthquake.
(c) A tornado.
(d) A typhoon.
10. How did the new art teacher at Kurosawa's school respond to his art work?
(a) He criticized it harshly.
(b) He praised it intemperately.
(c) He barely noticed it.
(d) He submitted it to agovernmental review.
11. With whom dis young Akira explore the destroyed city in A Horrifying Excursion?
(a) Mr. Tachikawa.
(b) His brother.
(c) His father.
12. In A Distant Village, what did Akira do when after he got drunk on sake?
(a) He vomited on his cousin.
(b) He fell in a rice paddy.
(c) He kissed a strange woman.
(d) He passed out next to a water ox.
13. On what public conveyance was young Akira during the events of A Long Red Brick Wall?
(a) A streetcar.
(b) A rickshaw.
(c) A train.
(d) A tram.
14. What role did Uekusa Keinosuke later play in Kurosawa's professional life?
(a) Assistant Director.
(d) Director of Photography.
15. What relation was Togashi to Akira?
(a) She was a family friend.
(b) His younger sister.
(c) His great aunt.
(d) His grandmother.
Short Answer Questions
1. In addition to art, what was young Akira's favorite subject?
2. Which ethnic group was hunted and killed in the darkness following September 1, 1923?
3. In The Gleam of Fireflies, why was Kurosawa uncomfortable with the speech given him?
4. How were the streets of Kurosawa's neighborhood lit the on night of September 1, 1923?
5. How did young Akira avoid falling to his death in the events of A Long Red Brick Wall?
This section contains 518 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)