|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Honor and Revere, what exam did Kurosawa get 100 percent on?
2. Why dis Kurosawa get selected for a renowned Kendo School?
(a) He was chosen at random.
(b) His arms were determined to be of the right length.
(c) He wrote an impassioned letter to the instructor.
(d) He impressed the instructor at a demonstration.
3. How does Kurosawa describe the style of institution that Kuroda Primary School is?
(a) A highly westernized school.
(b) A special needs school.
(c) A traditional Japanese school.
(d) A military-type school.
4. What was the result of Uekusa's telling the girl's father that he loved her in Murasaki and Shonagon?
(a) He got beaten by the father.
(b) He won her hand in marriage.
(c) He never saw her again.
(d) He got one date with her.
5. How does Mr. Iwamatsu respond to students who are struggling with exams?
(a) He mocks them mercilessly.
(b) He helps them through problems.
(c) He shrugs.
(d) He tells them the answers.
6. What changed for young Akira after the event of A Long Red Brick Wall?
(a) He walked to school.
(b) He always went to school with Uekusa.
(c) He never rode the train at rush hour.
(d) Nothing changed.
7. In The Fragrance of Meiji, the Sounds of Taisho, Kurosawa recalls the smells and sounds of what year in Japan?
8. At the end of The Fragrance of Meiji, the Sounds of Taisho, Kurosawa says that is sorry children of today do not have what?
(a) The fresh air he had.
(b) The sounds of his childhood.
(c) The quality of food he had.
(d) The sense of national pride he had.
9. What changed for Akira Kurosawa after the fight described in Murasaki and Shonagon?
(a) He had to fight the kids every time he walked to his lessons.
(b) He had to take a longer rout to his lessons.
(c) No one every tried to fight him again.
(d) He became more dedicated to his Kendo lessons.
10. What animal does Kurosawa recall seeing killed by a train at an early age?
(a) A possum.
(b) A cow.
(c) A dog.
(d) A pony.
11. What was the result of Uekusa's charge up a hill at a group of ruffians in Murasaki and Shonagon?
(a) He was beaten with rods.
(b) He was knocked unconscious.
(c) He became leader og their group.
(d) He chased them off.
12. Why was Akira Kurosawa initially rejected for military service?
(a) He was a home-front asset.
(b) He had an education deferment.
(c) He was too weak.
(d) He was a left-wing protester.
13. Whose help did Akira Kurosawa eventually employ to convince his father to let him quit calligraphy lessons?
(a) His older brother.
(b) His mother.
(c) His kendo teacher.
(d) Mr. Tachikawa.
14. Which star's westerns does Kurosawa particularly recall enjoying in Storytellers?
(a) John Wayne.
(b) Clint Eastwood.
(c) Roy Rogers.
(d) William S. Hart.
15. Who sent Akira to Toyokawa Village for the summer after his fifth grade year?
(a) His father.
(b) His military teacher,
(c) Mr. Tachikawa.
(d) His mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Akira characterize the songs of the Taisho age in Japan?
2. To whom does Kurosawa compare teachers like Mr. Iwamatsu at the end of Honor and Revere?
3. In Crybaby, what honor was eventually given with the assistance of Mr. Tachikawa?
4. What weakness does Kurosawa concede in Keika Middle School?
5. What job in the movies did Kurosawa's brother take in the 1930's?
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)