|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Keika Middle School, what event did young Akira win at his school?
(a) The high jump.
(b) The mini-marathon.
(c) The sprint.
(d) The shotput.
2. How did his mother replace the item that Kurosawa lost in his duel in Murasaki and Shonagon?
(a) She gave him another that belonged to his brother.
(b) She quietly buys him a new one.
(c) She goes back to the site of the duel that night and collects the lost item.
(d) She does not replace it.
3. What job in the movies did Kurosawa's brother take in the 1930's?
(b) Assistant director.
(d) Set dresser.
4. How does Mr. Iwamatsu respond to students who are struggling with exams?
(a) He mocks them mercilessly.
(b) He helps them through problems.
(c) He shrugs.
(d) He tells them the answers.
5. What was the subject of Inagaki Hiroshi's movie Forgotten Children?
(a) Retarded children.
(b) Child soldiers.
(c) Paralyzed children.
(d) Child prostitutes.
6. What catastrophic event happened on September 1, 1923?
(a) A tornado.
(b) An earthquake.
(c) A typhoon.
(d) A firebombing.
7. Why did Akira Kurosawa try to work as fast as possible to finish his calligraphy lessons?
(a) To visit Mr. Tachikawa sooner.
(b) To become a more efficient calligrapher.
(c) To get away from his instructor as quickly as possible.
(d) To get home and take a nap.
8. How did young Akira avoid falling to his death in the events of A Long Red Brick Wall?
(a) He tucked and rolled.
(b) He grabbed a railing.
(c) Another rider held onto him.
(d) The vehicle stopped in time.
9. When the Depression hits Japan, what did Akira felt bad about his parents paying for what?
(a) His clothing.
(b) His kendo lessons.
(c) His food.
(d) His education.
10. What did Kurosawa lose in his duel with the gang of students that attack him in Murasaki and Shonagon?
(a) His school books.
(b) His kendo outift.
(c) His bamboo rod.
(d) His bento box.
11. In Morimura Gakuen, what is significant about the young boy that Akira Kurosawa mentions specifically from Forgotten Children?
(a) He is twice as tall as the other children.
(b) He is always fighting the other children.
(c) He is Chinese.
(d) He isolates himself from the other children.
12. What assertion does Kurosawa refute at the beginning of Keika Middle School?
(a) He was afraid of girls.
(b) He never wrote his own screenplays.
(c) He had no physical strength.
(d) He cried at this graduation.
13. In The Gleam of Fireflies, why was Kurosawa uncomfortable with the speech given him?
(a) It lauds the teacher he hates.
(b) It is distinctly pro-military.
(c) It is poorly worded.
(d) It is not of his own creation.
14. What new aspect of the curriculum was added to Akira's life in fifth grade?
(a) Culinary arts.
(c) Military training.
(d) Foreign landguages.
15. What subject was Kurosawa's older brother in love with when he failed his final exam?
(d) Foreign literature.
Short Answer Questions
1. How was the Keika Middle School destroyed?
2. Reading his family tree, young Akira realize his ancestors included whom?
3. What role did Uekusa Keinosuke later play in Kurosawa's professional life?
4. In A Distant Village, what did Akira do when after he got drunk on sake?
5. With whom dis young Akira explore the destroyed city in A Horrifying Excursion?
This section contains 566 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)