|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Scarlett tell Halley that people like them do not do?
2. What does Halley think about whenever Macon pushes her toward having sex?
3. How does Halley describe her meetings with Macon toward the end of this chapter?
4. Where does Halley's grandmother live?
5. How pregnant is Scarlett in this chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why can't Halley sleep and what does she hope to discover about Macon?
2. How does Halley come to learn some new information about her grandmother and what does she learn about her?
3. What happens when Halley asks Macon who Rhetta is and what excuse does he give her for not being able to tell her where he has been or will be?
4. Why does Mr. Averby call Scarlett into his office and how does Scarlett respond to his suggestion?
5. What happens when Halley and Macon are lying on the bed together and he is getting ready to have sex with her?
6. What happens when Macon starts kissing her in the kitchen?
7. How is Scarlett kept really busy?
8. What continues to worry Scarlett about her pregnancy and her mother?
9. What worries Halley's mother about Macon and what does Halley think about how her mother approaches this subject?
10. What changes for Halley while her mother is with her grandmother and why does this change occur?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what ways does Scarlett's mother, Marion, change throughout the novel? Do you believe the changes are positive or negative? Why? What influence do you think other characters in the novel had on these changes?
Essay Topic 2
Do you believe this would be helpful for all teens to read? Why or why not? In what ways has this novel helped you? If it has not helped you in any way, why do you think this is the case?
Essay Topic 3
How does Halley and Scarlett's friendship demonstrate strength throughout the novel? In what ways does it show weakness? Which of the two of them seems to be the strongest character and why?
This section contains 741 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)