|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Scarlett say that she is worried about Halley doing?
2. What happens when Halley refuses Macon?
3. What does Halley see come over Macon's face?
4. What does Halley say to her mother that makes her mother react as if she has been slapped?
5. What does Scarlett give Halley when she stops by her house on New Year's Eve?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Halley and Macon are lying on the bed together and he is getting ready to have sex with her?
2. How does Halley want to spend New Years Eve and how does her mother want her to spend it? Who wins?
3. Why can't Halley sleep and what does she hope to discover about Macon?
4. Why does Mr. Averby call Scarlett into his office and how does Scarlett respond to his suggestion?
5. What does Halley do on the drive home from the party and how does Macon react?
6. Why does Halley go with Scarlett to the doctors?
7. What changes for Halley while her mother is with her grandmother and why does this change occur?
8. How is Scarlett kept really busy?
9. What does Macon's reckless driving parallel in regards to Halley?
10. What happens when Halley asks Macon who Rhetta is and what excuse does he give her for not being able to tell her where he has been or will be?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what ways does Halley's visit to her grandmother help her to gain more courage? In what ways does it help her to make decisions about Macon? Do you believe the visit was helpful or harmful to Halley? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Do you believe this would be helpful for all teens to read? Why or why not? In what ways has this novel helped you? If it has not helped you in any way, why do you think this is the case?
Essay Topic 3
What do you think the purpose of the metaphor of the comet is in relation to the themes of this novel? Do you think the novel would be as well developed had the comet metaphor be left out? Why or why not?
This section contains 733 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)