|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Scarlett tell Halley she must consider about having sex with Macon?
2. What happens in this chapter that allows Halley to be released from her punishment?
3. What is Steve wearing that is odd when Halley sees him going into Marion's house?
4. How does Halley feel when her mother tells her she was too little to remember sitting on her grandmother's lap watching the comet?
5. Why does Halley say she didn't have sex with Macon?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Macon's reckless driving parallel in regards to Halley?
2. How does Halley come to learn some new information about her grandmother and what does she learn about her?
3. How is Scarlett kept really busy?
4. What worries Halley's mother about Macon and what does Halley think about how her mother approaches this subject?
5. What does Halley do on the drive home from the party and how does Macon react?
6. What happens when Halley asks Macon who Rhetta is and what excuse does he give her for not being able to tell her where he has been or will be?
7. What information did Halley learn about Macon that made her cry for two days and how did she get through her pain?
8. What injuries does the doctor tell Halley she suffered in the car accident?
9. Who are Scarlett and Halley going to the prom with and why is Halley going with this person?
10. What continues to worry Scarlett about her pregnancy and her mother?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Does this novel accurately represent the life and issues a teen today faces? Why or why not? In what ways does this novel address issues you have faced specifically in your life.
Essay Topic 2
What do you think the purpose of the metaphor of the comet is in relation to the themes of this novel? Do you think the novel would be as well developed had the comet metaphor be left out? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
What was the critical turning point in Halley's self-transformation? Why do you think this is the case? Use supporting information from the text in your answer.
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)