|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Halley's mother think Halley did in regard to Macon?
2. What does Halley say to her mother that makes her mother react as if she has been slapped?
3. Why has Halley been able to avoid a decision about Macon?
4. What was odd about Thanksgiving at Scarlett's house?
5. What happened to Halley's grandmother?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Halley come to learn some new information about her grandmother and what does she learn about her?
2. Why does Mr. Averby call Scarlett into his office and how does Scarlett respond to his suggestion?
3. How does Halley spend the week after the accident and how does she feel about Macon?
4. What does Halley do on the drive home from the party and how does Macon react?
5. What injuries does the doctor tell Halley she suffered in the car accident?
6. What changes for Halley while her mother is with her grandmother and why does this change occur?
7. What happens when Macon starts kissing her in the kitchen?
8. Why can't Halley sleep and what does she hope to discover about Macon?
9. What does Halley want to do before her mother heads off to visit her grandmother and what actually happens?
10. What continues to worry Scarlett about her pregnancy and her mother?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what ways does Scarlett's mother, Marion, change throughout the novel? Do you believe the changes are positive or negative? Why? What influence do you think other characters in the novel had on these changes?
Essay Topic 2
Does this novel accurately represent the life and issues a teen today faces? Why or why not? In what ways does this novel address issues you have faced specifically in your life.
Essay Topic 3
Why do you believe Halley was drawn to the character of Macon? Do you think this relationship would have happened had Scarlett not become pregnant? Why or why not?
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)