|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Halley think Marion has given up on her plans for Scarlett to give the baby up for adoption?
2. Where are Scarlett and Halley going in this chapter?
3. What does the doctor say when Scarlett asks how much it will hurt to give birth?
4. What happened to Halley's grandmother?
5. How does Halley feel when her mother tells her she was too little to remember sitting on her grandmother's lap watching the comet?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why can't Halley sleep and what does she hope to discover about Macon?
2. How does Halley want to spend New Years Eve and how does her mother want her to spend it? Who wins?
3. What does Halley want to do before her mother heads off to visit her grandmother and what actually happens?
4. What injuries does the doctor tell Halley she suffered in the car accident?
5. What happens when Macon starts kissing her in the kitchen?
6. How can Halley tell that Macon is trying to get in touch with her and how does this make her feel?
7. How does Halley come to learn some new information about her grandmother and what does she learn about her?
8. What happens when Halley and Macon are lying on the bed together and he is getting ready to have sex with her?
9. What does Macon's reckless driving parallel in regards to Halley?
10. What does Halley's mother do when Halley wakes up after the accident?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Halley and Scarlett's friendship demonstrate strength throughout the novel? In what ways does it show weakness? Which of the two of them seems to be the strongest character and why?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay describing how the author utilized foreshadowing throughout the novel to help the reader understand the strength of the relationships between the characters. Which characters have the strongest bond? Is this surprising? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
How does Halley demonstrate sophistication of thinking and the development of emotional intelligence throughout the novel? Use specific examples from the novel to support your answer.
This section contains 828 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)