|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Halley think Marion has given up on her plans for Scarlett to give the baby up for adoption?
2. What happens in this chapter that allows Halley to be released from her punishment?
3. What does Halley's mother tell her about Macon?
4. How does Halley feel about Scarlett's handling of the pregnancy?
5. Why does Halley's heart feel like it is stopping when Macon is kissing her in the kitchen?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mr. Averby call Scarlett into his office and how does Scarlett respond to his suggestion?
2. What happens when Halley and Macon are lying on the bed together and he is getting ready to have sex with her?
3. How does Halley respond when her mother tells her that she is glad she broke up with Macon and how does she feel about her response?
4. Why can't Halley sleep and what does she hope to discover about Macon?
5. Why does Halley go with Scarlett to the doctors?
6. Who are Scarlett and Halley going to the prom with and why is Halley going with this person?
7. What information did Halley learn about Macon that made her cry for two days and how did she get through her pain?
8. How does Halley come to learn some new information about her grandmother and what does she learn about her?
9. What does Halley's mother do when Halley wakes up after the accident?
10. What does Macon's reckless driving parallel in regards to Halley?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which character do you believe is the strongest in this novel? Why do you feel this way? Which novel do you think is the weakest? Why do you feel this way?
Essay Topic 2
In what ways does Scarlett's mother, Marion, change throughout the novel? Do you believe the changes are positive or negative? Why? What influence do you think other characters in the novel had on these changes?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay describing how the author utilized foreshadowing throughout the novel to help the reader understand the strength of the relationships between the characters. Which characters have the strongest bond? Is this surprising? Why or why not?
This section contains 802 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)