|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Halley give as her emergency contact number?
2. What is Steve wearing that is odd when Halley sees him going into Marion's house?
3. Why does Scarlett seem so extremely angry with Macon?
4. Why does Halley's heart feel like it is stopping when Macon is kissing her in the kitchen?
5. How long does Macon say he has waited for Halley?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Halley asks Macon who Rhetta is and what excuse does he give her for not being able to tell her where he has been or will be?
2. What information did Halley learn about Macon that made her cry for two days and how did she get through her pain?
3. How can Halley tell that Macon is trying to get in touch with her and how does this make her feel?
4. What happens when Halley and Macon are lying on the bed together and he is getting ready to have sex with her?
5. What does Halley's mother do when Halley wakes up after the accident?
6. How does Halley respond when her mother tells her that she is glad she broke up with Macon and how does she feel about her response?
7. What changes for Halley while her mother is with her grandmother and why does this change occur?
8. Why does Mr. Averby call Scarlett into his office and how does Scarlett respond to his suggestion?
9. How does Halley come to learn some new information about her grandmother and what does she learn about her?
10. What does Macon's reckless driving parallel in regards to Halley?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Does this novel accurately represent the life and issues a teen today faces? Why or why not? In what ways does this novel address issues you have faced specifically in your life.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay describing how the author utilized foreshadowing throughout the novel to help the reader understand the strength of the relationships between the characters. Which characters have the strongest bond? Is this surprising? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
What do you think the purpose of the metaphor of the comet is in relation to the themes of this novel? Do you think the novel would be as well developed had the comet metaphor be left out? Why or why not?
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)