|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Macon doing wrong on the way home?
2. What does Scarlett tell Halley she must consider about having sex with Macon?
3. Why does Halley think Marion has given up on her plans for Scarlett to give the baby up for adoption?
4. How does Scarlett look when she comes to Halley's room?
5. What does Macon try to do that Halley stops him from doing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What continues to worry Scarlett about her pregnancy and her mother?
2. Why does Halley go with Scarlett to the doctors?
3. What happens when Macon starts kissing her in the kitchen?
4. Why can't Halley sleep and what does she hope to discover about Macon?
5. What happens when Halley and Macon are lying on the bed together and he is getting ready to have sex with her?
6. What information did Halley learn about Macon that made her cry for two days and how did she get through her pain?
7. How does Halley want to spend New Years Eve and how does her mother want her to spend it? Who wins?
8. What does Halley do on the drive home from the party and how does Macon react?
9. How does Halley come to learn some new information about her grandmother and what does she learn about her?
10. What injuries does the doctor tell Halley she suffered in the car accident?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What do you think the purpose of the metaphor of the comet is in relation to the themes of this novel? Do you think the novel would be as well developed had the comet metaphor be left out? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
In what ways does the character of Halley experience the emotions of embarrassment and victimization throughout the novel? Are these emotions justified? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
In what ways does Halley's visit to her grandmother help her to gain more courage? In what ways does it help her to make decisions about Macon? Do you believe the visit was helpful or harmful to Halley? Why?
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)